Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

October 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 46

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

October 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 September 2010 at 9:32PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 106.1K views

Replies

• edited 6 October 2010 at 7:33PM
    freakyogrefreakyogre Forumite
    1.5K posts
    edited 6 October 2010 at 7:33PM
    I started my new job on Monday which just happens to have a Lidl and a Tesco within a 2 minute walk, so I am quite impressed that today was my first visit!

Popped to Tesco and got some pickle, sesame seeds, apples, plums and crisps. The crisps were on the 'any 3 for £3' offer, so I checked the label, picked my crisps and paid. I didn't notice until I got back to work that i'd been charged individually. Now I am a bit of a pushover and usually don't bother going back, but today I was in the sort of mood where I wanted my money! Went in after work and double checked the labels and sure enough, the offer was on. Went to customer services who checked again and apparently one lot of crisps shouldn't have been in the offer, so they refunded me double the difference. Woohoo.

So! A total in the end of £5.64 which I have worked out means the crisps cost me £1.65...not bad for 20 bags :D
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • suzybloosuzybloo Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    evening folks, have spent more than I had hoped today when I went to Mr T's for milk, bread, rolls, and juice, ended up with £37 spent but that did include nappies for DGS, and toothbrushes which in theory are not in my grocery shop but I will keep them in the total just now. What a price toothbrushes are!!!!!! Dont need anything further this week, but hoping to get some meat at a good price. Total not too bad given that in theory Friday would take me upto £180 allowed out of £450 budget so on track at the moment!
    Every days a School day!
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the GC, weekazza, you've come to the right place for help in reducing spends; mrsmc will add you to the front page list when she's on next, but if you write your budget figure in RED it will help her to spot it

I had small mrS and mr T deliveries today, extra for this month but both were just good offers rather than a normal shop; I definitely won't need to be spending anything else this week, and very little for the rest of this month <<crosses fingers>> :D

Good luck everyone ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Second grocery spend day of the month for me..

As I left work I picked up bananas, fresh mushrooms for the chicken supreme I have planned for Fridays tea (no frozen ones left, and no space for a full bag to go in), milk (a 4pt of 1%, plus a Whoopsied 1pt skimmed - will use and clean/save the 1pt container for [strike]if I ever free up[/strike] when I have enough freezer space to put milk in), and a Whoopsied pack of garlic and herb tortellini. Total spend of £2.99 (£3 after change goes into sealed pot)

Then over to A!di for lettuce (33p against Mr M's 78p) and cucumber (45p against Mr M's 70p), tomatoes (the ones I get here seem to keep much better than the cheap ones from Mr M, so I didn't even bother comparing prices) and eggs. Total spend of £2.72 (£2.80 after change goes into sealed pot)

Then back to Mr M just before 7:30pm for final reductions - came out with a Whoopsied cake I've been wanting to try (despite my ban on cakes :o), a Whoopsied Seeds and Oat loaf (bread is another banned purchase this month, but I adore this one ;)), 3 Whoopsied pies (2 are one of my favourite flavours, and the third is a new one - but another banned purchase as I now have yet another serious round of the freezer squeeze game on my hands), plus a box of Jelly [email protected] (on offer, and highly recommended for carrying on runs - especially those of over an hour - in case an energy top-up is needed). Total spend £4.01 (£4.10 after change goes into sealed pot).

So total to be deducted from my GC budget today is £9.90, which - despite having had a full refund on the grapes I bought on Saturday due to having been charged for the wrong (and more expensive) sort - is putting me into a pretty critical state for the rest of the month (£31.10 spent, £21.90 left).

Must keep telling myself that I do not have freezer space for any more Whoopsies, I do not need any bread (2 freezer drawers full of the stuff, plus flour and yeast in to make loads), and I must not buy or eat cakes unless I'm happy to put back on the weight I've lost since May blush.gif And, more to the point, I must also listen to myself rolleyes2.gif

Although sweets are also banned - and were £2 of todays spend - I'm not going to tell myself off over that purchase as they were bought for a specific purpose, and they aren't actually a type I get tempted to sit and munch on so they will only be used for the intended purpose :)
    Cheryl
  • sharronejsharronej Forumite
    578 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    becky170 wrote: »
    I've had another couple of spends. £20.04 at M+S and £3.27 and the co-op. Got a bit carried away buying chocolate and snacks as I've just split up with my boyfriend so I'm feeling a bit down :( I'll have to stop the comfort eating soon as putting on lots of weight isn't really going to help me in the long term in my quest for mr right.

Sorry to hear your news, just give yourself a bit of breathing space. I find it helps to just accept that I might be a bit upset/stressed/ratty etc on a particular day and not beat myself up about it. Perhaps set yourself a small budget for treating yourself, this way you can control what you spend and how many calories you consume...I'm great at dieting and money saving advice however practising what I preach is another story :rotfl::rotfl:

Hope you're feeling better soon
    x
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • katholicoskatholicos Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Bought a veggie pasty for me n DD today as we were shopping - £1.96p
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • katholicoskatholicos Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Shucks, recording that i spent on the pasties reminded me that i put in an Approved Food order today too....spent £11.95 with AF so total spends so far this month £26.37
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • HippeechiqHippeechiq Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Welcome to the challenge weekazza :wave:
    becky170 wrote: »
    I've had another couple of spends. £20.04 at M+S and £3.27 and the co-op. Got a bit carried away buying chocolate and snacks as I've just split up with my boyfriend so I'm feeling a bit down :( I'll have to stop the comfort eating soon as putting on lots of weight isn't really going to help me in the long term in my quest for mr right.
    Awww - that's rough hun - hang in there :grouphug:

Coooeee Spigs :wave:

Was just a bit concerned at your absence, as you and OH have had a rough 8-10 weeks health wise, and quite a scare. Good to hear OH had his first day back at work today.....I bet normality never felt so good :)

Sorry to hear about your kitten, although pleased to hear it was nothing too serious, despite all the blood

Reckon you and OH will both sleep like logs tonight ;)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230 Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • bex2002bex2002 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Well my dad was back from his holiday today so we went shopping before he left and managed to spend another £71.65 after savings which were £18.19. But got some digital scales to weigh food out (and ebay) some christmas presents for the kids and some wine on 3 for £12 but were supposed to be £7.97 each. and got a few boxes of bold at £1.99 instead of £3.87 so saved a bit there and will last a while too.
    £27.76/£2018 in 2018
  • Off to Ikea tomorrow to buy dining chairs, which have been needed for a long time, as the ones we have (from Habitat 40yrs ago) are definitely only fit for the bonfire! If we have anyone over for dinner I borrow chairs from my mum! Thanks to the tips and ideas from all you lovely people we can now buy them with the money saved from grocery bills.

To everyone who is a 'new saver' congratulations for trying. :T I have been amazed at the amount of money we have saved and a bit ashamed of the money I have wasted in the past. OH says he hasn't noticed any difference in our meals but has noticed the increased money in the bank! I find I rather enjoy the challenge of 'not spending' and seeing how to keep our budget in check.

Coming on to these boards and reading all the posts always cheers me up. The incredible help and support available is wonderful. I think joining in is one of the best things I have done in a long time. I feel I have so many great friends now. Thank you