Put away your purse & become debt-averse

Options

Comments

• crazy_cat_lady
    Options

I think I need some of that gin in my life. :beer: I will be visiting your neck of the woods between now and Christmas so will find you and steal it :p :rotfl:
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,155 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know about 'clever', Toni's friend.....fruit gins & vodkas are so easy to do. It really is just a case of chucking it all in a big very airtight jar & shaking it every couple of days until the sugar dissolves, then leaving it till December before straining & bottling. I started years ago with sloe gin, as even when I was very spendy, I liked a bit of foraging. Now I tend to use what I've got. I did blackberry & pear vodka last year, which we enjoyed. Last year I had a huge pear crop so was putting them in everything. This year, we have more apples & I fancied some gin! As you're tarting it up with other ingredients, there's no need to buy premium or branded spirits, I just get whatever's cheapest.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Lol, CCL! You should have a go at making some one year. Would be good for your home-made Christmas, though only if you have gin-loving friends or you might have to yum it all yourself & that would be terrible!
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    I am a teacher - I have hundreds of gin loving friends :rotfl:
    What is the sugar to alcohol ratio? It sounds sciency and I might have a go (and hope it will be better than my attempt at jam yesterday).
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I've made blackberry gin before but never thought of apple and blackberry gin. Of course, the perfect combination!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Well now, CCL, as a totally non-sciencey person, I suppose I'd have to agree it is a little bit sciencey. I use 400g white granulated sugar, 350g blackberries & 2 peeled, cored & chopped apples to 1 litre of gin. It needs around 3 months (ish) so if you get a batch going now, you can be sampling it at Christmas. One of our friends bought mr f a set of those little bottles of coffee syrups & we saved them for refilling with fruit gins for gifts. Actual amounts vary a bit - prob due to moisture content of fruit? I don't know, but I usually manage to re-fill the original gin bottle plus 3 little ones.
    Don't worry about naughty chilli jam. It can be tricky to set. I usually make apple, cider & chilli jelly.......it's maybe cheating a bit but the pectin from the apples helps with setting.
    Anyway, slurp up m'duck!
    F x
  • joeyjimbles
    Options
    Another vote here for the lovely sounding apple and blackberry gin. And I have both apples and blackberries in the freezer...hmmm. But I have 2kg of Sloes picked just hours before the storms brought most of them down in the woods so would be a shame not to use them. Some are earmarked for a friend who was disappointed by finding them all on the ground after Ali had done it's worst. Lots of possibilities.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£397.50 (79%)    Fn £375                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£074.75 (16%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£084.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

• crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Thanks Foxgloves :D
    One of my friends from work has started bringing apples from his garden into the staffroom for people to help themselves to so I might just... I have a massive jar. Sounds easy (ish) and my home made Christmas just starts looking better and better :T
  • foxgloves
    edited 26 September 2018 at 12:24PM
    Options
    You know you're a stressed money saver when.....
    *You tell your cat off for asking for two breakfasts before realising you haven't fed him at all this morning.
    *You decide to make bread rather than cycle down to the shop to buy a loaf because you have all the stuff in for baking. Then you wonder why it isn't rising & remember you didn't put any yeast in it! In my own defence, I do usually make sourdough loaves, so don't need to add commercial yeast. Anyway, was determined not to waste my dough, especially as I'd used the last of a nice seedy mix in it, so I mixed up the yeast in a half ramekin of warm water, sprinkled it on, then worked it in. That should work.
    I'm usually so organised, but I can tell my stress levels are affecting my normal levels of efficiency & togetherness now.
    Difficult family times come to us all, don't they? And we can't be Mrs Efficiency all the time. I am telling myself that old saying 'This too will pass' and am taking things a day at a time.
    And now I'm going to make some cheese on toast for lunch......perhaps I'll even remember to put the cheese on!
    F x
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Can't say anything that will help with the stress so sending you ((((hugs)))) XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport