Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Annabee wrote: »
    they have broken their bank account

!!!!!!?wtfwtf
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    When I first claimed benefits, I had to have a bank account in my own name. Recently I claimed for my son, who is severely disabled. I was told that he needed his own bank account to receive benefits. However, because he is 'severely mentally impaired', and I am his appointee, the DWP accepted that he cannot understand the terms and conditions, sign his name, etc - but his benefits have to be paid inot my accoiunt, nobody else's.

I don't think that the DWP would allow their benefits to be paid into your account. Even if they do, don't allow it. They have gone overdrawn on their own account, how long before they overdraw yours?
  • Annabee
    Annabee Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. 'Broken my bank account' was the phrase my relative used. It's not the correct terminology I know, but isn't it self-explanatory?

They won't be able to overdraw on my account, because I have no intention of giving them a bank card. They haven't asked either. I don't claim benefits so it can't affect that. What I will have to do is keep a careful record of the benefit payments that go in, then pass this on in cash to them. It is an absolute pain though, and I would really rather not do it. But they lost their job a few weeks ago and have only just got around to applying for benefits (to begin with they were not in a fit mental state to do it).

If they have to wait to set up a basic bank account that will just delay things more I think? Have told them that I want them to get their own account asap though, and then tell the benefits office to move over the payments.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    [QUOTE=Alice Holt;74625915
    From your experience of working at the DWP, would you know if an overpayment could be recovered from the person whose bank account it was credited to (even if that wasn't the claimant)?[/QUOTE]

I don't know with certainty but I would expect DWP to be able to attempt to recover monies from the account it was paid to.
  • Annabee
    Annabee Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i don't think the claim could be fraudulent. I know they lost their job. I know they have no money.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    My advice - get them to open a new bank account in your their
    own name.

Why you ask? Well if a bank sees benefits being credited it may mean they will be unwilling to lend you any money such as an overdraft, loan credit card or mortgage.
    If you say the benefits are not yours you will be half way to getting your account closed.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    [QUOTE=Annabee;74626362]i don't think the claim could be fraudulent. I know they lost their job. I know they have no money.[/QUOTE]
    My advice, tell them to open a basic bank account. It all sounds too strange to me.
  • micky2phones
    Options
    Hi, just tell them you may have to pay tax on it as it would be earning ?
    45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP relative could get refused a basic bank account, the fact they already have a Bank account !

They can and do run credit checks, so on and can refuse to open a account...

Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    45002 wrote: »
    OP relative could get refused a basic bank account, the fact they already have a Bank account !

They can and do run credit checks, so on and can refuse to open a account...

Unless it's changed, then banks have to give someone a basic bank account. That's one with no overdraft facility. It's not wise to open it with a bank you owe money to though as they can take money from one account to pay off what you owe them on another.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure