Relative wants to have their benefits paid to my account

Options
13»

Comments

45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 6 August 2018 at 11:49PM
    Options
    Banks can still refuse to open accounts, basic accounts, there is no guarantee they will open a account which some of you seam think there is.
    Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
  • Ineededaname
    Options
    There needs to be a very, very good reason to use someone elses account on an ongoing basis. Outside of being an appointee because the person is mentally incapable of managing their own affairs... highly unlikely.

They may allow an initial payment after which they will insist on your relative sorting their own account. You'd need to go with them to the appointment or trust them with your bank card!

I think they can make a payment through some kind of voucher system if there's really no available bank account.

I'd just say no. Your relative needs to adult up and sort the problem. Why not sooner rather than later.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,724 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Annabee wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. 'Broken my bank account' was the phrase my relative used. It's not the correct terminology I know, but isn't it self-explanatory?

They won't be able to overdraw on my account, because I have no intention of giving them a bank card. They haven't asked either. I don't claim benefits so it can't affect that. What I will have to do is keep a careful record of the benefit payments that go in, then pass this on in cash to them. It is an absolute pain though, and I would really rather not do it. But they lost their job a few weeks ago and have only just got around to applying for benefits (to begin with they were not in a fit mental state to do it).

If they have to wait to set up a basic bank account that will just delay things more I think? Have told them that I want them to get their own account asap though, and then tell the benefits office to move over the payments.
    Just curious why you asked for advice in the first place when you've decided to do it anyway - even though every reply you've received advises against it.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You would be better off helping them sort a new basic account and get advice for their debts rather than offering this 'easy option' for them but potential problem for you.

I'm also curious why you asked the question but intend to go against every single response?

It really doesn't take forever to set up a new account - are you sure they haven't tried already and have CIFAS markers or something like that?
  • Brookside88
    Brookside88 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Agree with what everyone else has said. Also, benefits are not a round number which means you'll have to go to your bank or the post office on a weekly or fortnightly basis to withdraw the exact amount since they don't want it to go into their bank. Ain't nobody got time for that
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another voice here against letting them have their money paid into your account.

Quite aside from the possibility of some sort of fraud, there is the possibility of disagreement about your managing of the account (for example they insist you haven't given them this week/fortnight's money...you insist you have) which can cause long-term family issues....but mainly because they need to take responsibility for their own finances.

A simple bank account is the way for your relative to go...I believe the Post Office do a very simple account for people in financial troubles.

Also, if the original bank account is 'broken' due to unpaid overdrafts then maybe your relative should be encouraged to look at some sort of debt-management help (it is possible that the broken account is the tip of the iceberg...).
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,201 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Annabee wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. 'Broken my bank account' was the phrase my relative used. It's not the correct terminology I know, but isn't it self-explanatory?
    Yes, it was. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport