Relative wants to have their benefits paid to my account

Options
It is a new claim (universal credit). The reason is they have broken their bank account, gone over the overdraft limit etc.

But I am not very keen, could I get in trouble?

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Annabee wrote: »
    It is a new claim (universal credit). The reason is they have broken their bank account, gone over the overdraft limit etc.

Thats their problem tell them to get a basic account with one of the banks that does not allow overdrafts etc.

Then don't. Don't make their problems yours.

No way would I personally do it. Please don't even contemplate it. Just tell them no. if they ask why say because I say so.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Instead of them running away from the issue they should speak to their bank.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    To answer the question, no you couldn't directly get into trouble for letting have their benefit payed into your account. However I agree with the others that the relative needs to sort their finances out, not drag you into their mess.
    If you are on benefits it could raise questions about why somebody else is being paid into your account, are you a couple? etc, etc.
    If you do allow payment into your account you will have the responsibility of paying the cash over to them. Would they expect you to let them have a bank card?
  • Gravedigger
    Gravedigger Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But if they've gone overdrawn on their own account, don't you think they might also do so on your account. Unless you are going to just withdraw weekly and hand it over...but then, "Hey! I'm sure we still have fifty knicker" even if they don't. Dodgy deal. DON'T do it!
  • midnight_express
    Options
    Just say no.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How the heck can you "break" a bank account???

I agree with the previous.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,964 Forumite
    Options
    Relative needs to open a basic bank account, and get debt advice -
    Stepchange - https://www.stepchange.org/

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/basic-bank-account.aspx

Yes you could get in trouble. Look up Money Laundering, and your banks T & C's.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've broken many things in fact I knocked an priceless antique off the window ledge today, well the OH said it was priceless ! But never broke a bank account.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    Relative needs to open a basic bank account, and get debt advice -
    Stepchange - https://www.stepchange.org/

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/basic-bank-account.aspx

Yes you could get in trouble. Look up Money Laundering, and your banks T & C's.

I agree with all but the money laundering comment which is just scaremongering. If there was money other than benefits payments there might be some justification to money laundering concerns but not in this instance.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,964 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2018 at 8:46PM
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I agree with all but the money laundering comment which is just scaremongering. If there was money other than benefits payments there might be some justification to money laundering concerns but not in this instance.

I wouldn't be too sure about that - you are assuming the benefit payments are not fraudulent.
    It's probably very unlikely in this case - but not impossible I would think.

If the OP (or any other recipient of DWP monies) had no involvement in the benefit claim then they would have little idea if the payments were correct, or incorrect, or even fraudulent.
    From your experience of working at the DWP, would you know if an overpayment could be recovered from the person whose bank account it was credited to (even if that wasn't the claimant)?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure