PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• SwipernoSwiping
    Options
    Just missed last month, so trying at £200 again this month,
    making more use of online deliveries, not tempted by junk then :D
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 October 2012 at 2:57PM
    Options
    Hi Coxy11. I've realised I haven't been as thorough in my calculations as I should have been. I think I put myself down for £142.00 this month, but could you amend it please to a more honest, frugal and tighter £49.62. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Better is good enough.
  • milky1991
    milky1991 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I never really looked at what I was spending where before, over the last 2 days at work I have spent over £8 of my £50 weekly budget on butty's from the local shop. I need to get more organized and take my food in, I usually do but sometimes can't be bothered and I would imagine over a month probably buy food around 50% of my days in work that works out at around £40 a month thats at present nearly 1 weeks budget.

If I am going to reduce my crocery bill I will have to get more organised.
    As of 24th August 2016 total money owed was
    £15,708 :eek:
  • becksfaz
    becksfaz Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    In response to an earlier post - I shop at M0rris0ns and buy the following:
    Savers range - fruit, fresh orange, yoghurts, tin toms, vinegar, raisins, kitchen roll, crumpets, rice pudding (12p tin!), custard, kidney beans, pasta, lard, lasagne sheets and rice. All fine. (Only kids eat rice pudding and custard but no complaints when dropped a brand).
    Nearly ALL my other food is SM OWN BRAND with the exception of tea, coffee, tomato ketchup, curry paste, snack a jacks (My son didn't like the cheaper ones), Cheese and fish fingers (only get when on offer!)
    I buy my meat/eggs from local farm shop so can't comment on those.
    I used to be a 'supermarket snob' but then just decided to try things and it's surprising how much is ok. Don't stock up on the new things, just buy one of the things and see how you go.
    I spent £315 in Aug and in Sept I'm currently at £212 (my month ends 7th. If I didn't have a '5 weekend month' I'd have saved £103 and that was my 1st month!!!) It's REALLY worth doing!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 October 2012 at 11:36AM
    Options
    Bossymoo re cheap teabags, i have heard the sainsbobs ones are good. I would like to hear from people that have tried cheapie ones. I tried the Morrisons ones (27p for 80) and they are ok, but have an aftertaste that is not nice, but you can get a strong cup if you persevere. I am going to use the mthough, in between my typhoo, but wouldn't buy again.
    Becksfaz thanks for that, any chance of some prices, i only go to Morrisons occasionally, but will hunt some bits out if they are comparable to Tesco/Asda.
  • becksfaz
    becksfaz Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    milky1991 - do you have any cooking facilities at work?
    My hubby used to average just under a fiver every day (butty, drink and crisps/choc) and when I told him that he probably spent approx £1200 a year on his lunches (not to mention where the loose change from the lunches went!) and he had heart failure.
    Now at tea times, I make extra and he takes it to work and bangs it in the microwave. He also takes beans/soup etc to work too. If I've made say chicken biryani, he will take this and eat it cold.
    HTH.
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Morning,

Just had my first grocery shop for the month and it came to £73.54. I had a £10 off voucher but I plan on putting this £10 saved towards Christmas, this leaves me with £36.46 for the rest of the month.

Yesterday I started a pantry/freezer inventory and with a bit of careful planning I should be able to come in on target. So plans for today are to try and complete the inventory (if my body allows it :o) and then meal plan on the strength of the list.

I know what you mean about the price of fresh fruit, over £2 for clementines, and I am sure that butter has gone up since my last shop. (Just checked last month's statement and 250g of butter is up by 11p.)

Off to have another cup of tea before I restart my inventory.

Hope you all have a good day.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi...just come from picking some blackberries which i intend to cook up and make a pie with for tea....also having braised beef with veg

need to do my meal plan for next week and i thought i might make some mince pies and a few cakes...not sure which sort yet
    have a nice afternoon
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    First spend of the month was on Monday. DH went to MrT's all on his own :eek: with a list I had text him.

He managed to get everything on the list and only 2 extra things (I asked for one can of butterbeans which were 59p , he bought 3 cans as they were on 3 for £1, so proud of him!!)

He also bought diluting juice like I asked, and didn't buy a single bottle of Pepsi, even though it's down to 89p a bottle just now! Amazing!

I'm definately cutting out fizzy juice at home, we drink far far too much of it. We could go through a 2l bottle a day :o and at £1.39 from the shop, it's not cheap! Got two bottles of diluting juice for £1.50 that should last us 2 weeks.

Meals for Mon and Tues were out of this shopping, tonights and tomorrows is sorted as well, plus I've made soup for lunch at work for today and tomorrow. Boss bought lunch Mon & Tues this week and I will make some pasta or something for lunch on Friday.

No more spends til Saturday hopefully, fingers crossed!! I CAN DO THIS!! :T
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • Hi new to this...but we're always looking for ways to get the most out of our small budget. Dec 2011/ jan 2012 we started ww2 style food rationing and as a result we spent £30 a week on groceries to feed the 5 of us (2 adults, 3 children) so I suppose my budget for this month (oct 2012) would be £120... £150 at a push. I say £150 at a push as I'm already putting aside dry goods (flour etc) to make or rather bake Christmas biscuits/ shortbread etc for family instead of buying it.
    Oct Grocery Challenge £31/£120 -£150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport