PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dear me, I just had to have a word with DM, £11.07 she spent today on food shopping! One week in and a third of the budget gone already haha, cant keep this up!

Have already updated my sig with todays total :)
  • TheThriftyScrumpers
    Options
    Hi,

I hope everyone is doing ok. I had a big stock up order delivered on the first as I had a £15 off £100 spend. Cupboards are full, as is freezer and we have plenty of loo rolls, washing liquid, d washer tabs (all the expensive stuff). I am determined to do much better this month. Annoyingly I forgot to cancel the veg box so that will come tomorrow. Never mind, I can feel another slow cooker veg soup making session. Made some at the weekend with dd and it was lovely.

Meals this week -

Mon - Pork chops griddled with fennel seeds, Stilton and apricot salad
    Tues - burgers in a bap with salad and roasted new pots
    Wed - jackets with tuna for me and sausage and beans for kiddies (pizza for DH as I am off to cinema tonight :) )
    Thurs - pots, veg and either meat or fish from freezer
    Fri - lo sweet and sour pork with crunchy peanut rice
    Sat - meal out with friends (diff budget) :)
    Sun - roast chicken, pots and veg

Good luck everyone and welcome newbies :)
    GC Mar 11 £437.08Apr 11 £459.26 May 11 £485.52 June 11 £423.79July 11 £409.22 Aug 11 £250.10Sept 11 £396.14Oct 11 £382.37Nov 11 £372.55Dec 11 £332.29 Jan 12 £375.19:Feb 12 £349.58Mar 12 £279.66Apr 12 £249.12May 12 £337.66/Jun 12 £362.58/Jul 12 £317.03/Aug 12 £354.02/Sept £439.72/Oct 12 £210.16
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Options
    Kicking off the month with £16.96 in MrS and 99p in the 99p shop.

Just top-up bits and stocked up on some eco sposies/wipes which are on offer in their baby event.

So £17.95/£200.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • Bikingbint
    Options
    bossymoo wrote: »
    Hi

Re value tea bags, I've heard the sainsbobs cheapy ones (less than 30p I think) are very good. I seem to have a hundred boxes of others though, so haven't tried them yet...

X

Hi

I use these all the time now, 29p for 80, no one here has noticed a difference to the teabags that cost 6 times as much.

I also use their basics skimmed milk powder and make up a jug in the fridge. It is only used in tea, coffee etc and cooking. elderly parent only has it in hot drinks and I only eat porridge made with water so cannot comment on what is is like on cereal.

Bikingbint
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi...we use the 27p ish sainsburys tea bags and find them to be ok...also never had any probs with value line fruit and veg...im always prepared to try value but normally buy one and see what it is like
    onwards and upwards
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    We too use the Mr S basics teabags, and we were confirmed PG Tips-ers before. Have just done an Aldi stock up shop to use my £5 off voucher, and got a good trolley full for £37, far cheaper than it would be in Mr T. If Aldi would just stock a few more items I'd be happy to hardly step foot in another shop.
    I have chicken breasts pulled from the depths of the freezer for tonight, so think I will make a curry and use up the remains of last night's fried rice and some AF naans and coconut milk.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi guys.

As part od cutting costs, i am trying not to buy chicken breast all the time. I see that as from tomorrow, Lidl are doing Chicken thighs (£2.25 for 1kg), so thought i'd do something with them.

Anyone have any ideas for any recipes please?
  • Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    Options
    Doing OK so far - 3 NSDs in a row.

Have had nice meals made with what's already in, in fridge, freezer and cupboards. And DD and DS have been here sharing meals at different times, helping me out following day surgery on Monday.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • sneakyspender
    Options
    Oh my word it is all going wrong this.week. £22 in Lidl £6 at butchers £6 at fishmongers. So far so good then another £60 in ,Mr M. How ?? Did load up on some special offers .Also they had sold out of some savers stuff so had to up brand.But still thats £84 so only £60 left till months end...
    GC July 345/325Aug GC 297.50/300:money: GC Sept £251/300
    GC Oct 235/275 Nov GC £72/250
    NSD 5/30:D
    My month runs 22nd -22nd:cool:
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £67 spent so far..£12 of that today in MrTs..did grab 2 bags of their 30p pasta for the stock cupboard.

Everyone had Chilli last night..probably the only meal I dont like do I had egg on toast rather than cook another meal.

Need to see if I can get to MrTs at reduction time this week...really need some Ys for cheaper meals...only have YS sausages left in freezer:eek:
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure