PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style dream life vs real life

Options
12346»

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Been a bit introspective lately and realising that I drift along. So I decided to figure out what my ideal life was (aiming to be practical not requiring a lottery win!) and my ideal is so far from my reality.

Currently I :
    live in a city
    have limited craft skills
    very limited funds
    violent job
    tiny garden
    clutter

The dream would be:
    growing fruit and vegetables
    being able to bake well
    nicely decorated & organised home
    a calmer & simpler life
    more vintage style

The lottery win ideal involves a cottage in the countryside, chickens, a library, and hiring people to teach me craft skills! Have you ever seen rememberingtheoldways on Instagram? That is the dream - homemade cakes, vintage knick knacks, and Saturday tea time.

How do you deal with such a disparity between your actual life and what you want?

I am working on a list of things that I actually can change x

AngelJenny, yes, the dream is realisable but it won't happen overnight. Learning a new craft or tackling the mountain of clutter can be daunting but you can do it if you really want to.

The thing that really stands out for me from your posts on this thread are:-

a) Your job. You describe it as "violent" but imply that it's also emotionally draining and I suspect you feel trapped in it. Priority number one has to be to find a new job. You say that you live in a city with good public transport, that means there are multiple employers not too far away. One of them will have the perfect job for you - you just have to look for it. (And yes, I know how dispiriting job hunting can be. I spent 2017 trying to find a new/better job, applying for something every single day and being knocked back all over the place.)

b) Time. As others have said, every goal is an accumulation of "Baby Steps". Just do one thing towards each goal every day, even if that "one thing" is just reading the list of goals to remind yourself what's on it. You've spent your life putting other people first. Now you need to carve out some time for yourself, so that you can focus on your needs.

Have you heard of the "10 minute rule"? Just spend 10 minutes every day focused on the craft you want to learn or the task you need to complete. You'll be amazed what you can achieve. So what if it's 10 minutes folding laundry and putting it away - in a week, you'll have cleared the backlog. There are even 10 minute high intensity workouts, if exercise is what is missing from your life.

C) Driving. Yes, it's a useful skill and yes, it's scary to learn, but do you really think you'll be worse than 50% of the other drivers on the road? No. You will probably be better than them because you will have had less time to develop bad habits. Even if you don't run your own car, you are limiting your horizons. Does your fiance drive? Do you really think it's fair on him that every time you go out or go away, he has to drive? What will happen if he is sick or injured? Ask for lessons for your birthday or Christmas present, or salt away £20/month for a year or two and learn. You don't have to run a second car but if your fiance doesn't commute to work by car, it may be an option for you to do so.

(FWIW, I checked my records and my 10-year-old econobox car cost me £1,800 in insurance, road tax, services/repairs and tyres over the last 12 months. I set aside £150/month towards those and £120/month for petrol purchases.)

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MJ_Wilton wrote: »
    I hope this this given you some ideas on how you can add a bit more of what you love into your life. The answer to “how do you deal with such a disparity between your actual life and what you want” is, I think, make small changes in the right direction. And then focus on enjoying them!

So start that Saturday tea-time. Even if it’s only the days you’re off work and feel like baking. Drink it alone with whatever china you have, but bake enough for others to share if they want. Maybe it will develop into a lovely family tradition, or maybe it won’t. But either way you’ll feel better for living a life more like your aspiration!

Yes! Well put. Frequently, we self-sabotage, thinking "I'm not worth it" when nobody else in the family demands to x or y or z, but if you don't start doing those things, then how will they know they're an option? A good cup of tea with a home-made cake, eaten sitting on a chair in the garden, only costs the time it takes to make them and to sit still and enjoy them.

Thank you.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in making the most out of what you have.
    I had a bit of an eye opening experience the other day which left me feeling so grateful for what we have. We had a friend and her 2 smalls over for a playdate.
    When she walked into my incredibly small 2 up 2 down house (cluttered to me but not compared to others) she instantly commented on the fruit and veg I had growing on my bay window which were awaiting to be planted out at the allotment that I waited 2 years for and have only had for 4 months and finding it very challenging. She was notably and admittedly jealous of that, then came the comments about the homemade beetroot brownies and banana cake amongst jam sandwiches, fruit and cheese & pineapple. How she wishes she could bake... what she didn't realise was that I couldn't really afford to feed them and i'd made anything i could scrape together.
    We headed into the garden which was like steptoes yard until Easter when my husband and i near killed ourselves making it a nice space as cheap as we could, her 4 year old made a comment about our garden being bigger than theirs (it is far from it) and a nice place to play.
    Then of course they wanted to collect eggs from our 2 Bantams and discussions were had about having chickens in a garden smaller than hers in a town and built up area - I explained about giving up the garden shed and all it's contents to give them the space they needed. Then we sat down to coffee and she told me how she is starting a new job soon and taking on a second mortgage whilst her children are in wrap around care so they can have an extension on a house that is twice the size of mine.
    So whilst I have no judgement, I think it's important to see things from different perspectives. I cannot work myself but that happens to be a blessing in disguise as i'm now full time carer and home educator to my son. My husband took a lower paid job with a longer commute in order to reduce his hours and spend more time with us. We scrape by every single day. We would love a move to the countryside but we can't afford to. So we continue to live on little providing experience over stuff and aim to one day relocate.
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • Angel_Jenny
    Angel_Jenny Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MJ_Wilton wrote: »
    Hello Angel_Jenny. I feel like I’ve found a kindred spirit! I too would love a simple countryside life surrounded by a library and the things I have crafted, and I’m also hampered by living in the wrong place with not enough money to change it! But I feel I’m a few steps ahead of you, so here’s what I do to “deal with such a disparity between your actual life and what you want”:

I’m not good at sticking to new resolutions. So I try to alter my habits gently. I practise my knitting (I’m not very good yet) while I watch TV. Sometimes I knead read with the tv on too!

I can’t promise myself I’ll bake every week on a particular day. But I’ll pick out a recipe so that when I’m in the mood to bake, I won’t waste that time looking through cookbooks or pinterest.

I’m slowly learning to bake better. I’ve got a simple recipe for cake I baked until I perfected it, and now I’m branching out to pastries and more complicated cakes. I’ve started learning about bread too, using library books. I recommend Jack Monroe’s books, since her recipes are so affordable. No buying fancy ingredients you’ll never use up and it doesn’t feel like a waste when it goes wrong! And she does such a lovely variety of baked things

Our garden isn’t tiny, but was overgrown with weeds when we moved in. Little by little I’ve been claiming it back! Each year I’m adding a couple of new flowers and a new food crop as I learn how to care for them. It’s about to be our third summer here, and we’ve got strawberries, two tomato plants, one lettuce, one cabbage, one cauliflower, four runner beans and a huge row of potatoes! Most of this was free. My Granny gave us a few of her spares – do you know anyone who grows their own veg who could share with you? And our potatoes were once growing eyes at the bottom of our cupboards! When I find one that’s got a bit old to eat I’m delighted nowadays, and chit and plant it up!

Another Granma gifted us the seeds she got free with her gardening magazines but didn’t want. Free flowers! Seed packets start at under £2 and can have hundreds of seeds in them. I recommend Sweet Peas for an easy, colourful, and above all cottage-garden feel :) I always make sure I’ve got pots of flowers on the windowsill outside, so I can see them from indoors. Sure the rest of my house is ugly, but at least I can see my aquilegia Grandmother’s bonnet!

Even without much garden, pots are ace. I’ve herbs growing indoors on a few windowsills. I’ve little wooden and chalk-board holder for one, and a self-painted plain pot for another. It looks very pretty, even though the rest of my seeds are in loo-roll tube and old ice-cream tubs! But I’m slowly upgrading and choosing to focus my attention on the things that do look how I like them.

I hope this this given you some ideas on how you can add a bit more of what you love into your life. The answer to “how do you deal with such a disparity between your actual life and what you want” is, I think, make small changes in the right direction. And then focus on enjoying them!

So start that Saturday tea-time. Even if it’s only the days you’re off work and feel like baking. Drink it alone with whatever china you have, but bake enough for others to share if they want. Maybe it will develop into a lovely family tradition, or maybe it won’t. But either way you’ll feel better for living a life more like your aspiration!

I think little steps are the key. The garden is a little better ..... at one side! I have a little fairy garden now. But I think decluttering is my stumbling block - too much stuff in the house makes the cleaning / chores overwhelming. But I have been watching Scandish Home on Youtube and I love the simplicity. I doubt I will ever get to that level of organisation but it is good to have an aim.

Yes! That is the thing with recipes I have been looking at - 27 ingredients that I will never use again! Doesn't really fit with the simplicity. I made chocolate chip cookies last week and bread the week before. Next week I am working about 70 hours so baking is unlikely!

I love the idea of adding pretty touches like chalk board plant pots - I have a big old metal teapot that I want to plant flowers in.
  • Money_mess
    Money_mess Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I've been reading through this thread and it really resonates with me. I wish to live a more simple life but like others have mentioned I think in past times things were very difficult and I like my conveniences I.e my washing machine and ability to tumble dry school uniform last minute if I've been caught out etc.
    I do try to live a simple life with inspiration from old style living but without making things too hard on myself.
    Chirpy chick I loved your post and the play date you provided for your visitors sounded lovely!

For me I'm baking a lot and meal planning /bulk cook for my freezer. I try and make sure there is always something homemade to avoid buying food out and about. We have an allotment which is doing quite well but I think will do better next yr as we only got it in April and it was such a mess so a lot of time went into just clearing it. At the moment we are collecting loads of peas, courgettes, mange tout and we just dug up.loads of spuds. We have pumpkins growing and tonnes of cucumbers and tomatoes. We got loads of strawberries but these have finished now. and we have masses of rhubarb.
    in a month or two we should have loads of onions and we've got leeks, spring onions squashes and beetroot on the go. I put in more carrots and cabbages yesterday in the hope of a bit of a harvest over autumn and plan to plant some sprouts, swedes and parsnips and hope we haven't missed the boat ! The hope is to get lots of food from the plot in future years but it's a leaning curve and a lot is getting munched by the critters! but Its lovely to.be outdoors with the kids and I think a nice old style thing to be doing.

apart from the above I just try and use my washing line, get second hand as much as possible (love hand me downs!) and generally consume as little as I can get away with which isn't always easy!
    Just remember every effort is you doing something positive towards how you wish to.live and that's a great thing, just do what you can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure