Collection only item on Ebay

Options
Hi all

I posted an item of furniture on Ebay a couple of nights ago. Put in the description cash on collection

The person that bought it has asked if they can pay via Paypal.

am I right in thinking this isn't a good idea incase they collect and then say they haven't received the item?

You'd think they might have checked before clicking buy it now :|

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    Options
    There is scope for people pulling a scam with PayPal payments on local collection items. I don't think it really happens as much as people talk about it on this forum but if you're worried just state cash please. I pick up local purchases fairly regularly and some sellers still insist on PayPal probably because it's ben drilled into them by eBay.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    If they pay by Paypal and collect, they don't have any buyer protection against INR claims with Paypal.

You also don't have any seller protection.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If they pay by Paypal and collect, they don't have any buyer protection against INR claims with Paypal.

But they can claim INR through ebay.
  • Thankyou for your replies and for the link

I think I will stick to cash on collection and hope they are ok with that
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thankyou for your replies and for the link

I think I will stick to cash on collection and hope they are ok with that

Do have a read of the thread linked in post 4 as you need to tread carefully with collection only items as technically you can't refuse to accept paypal if offered.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Brynsam wrote: »
    But they can claim INR through ebay.

Yes I missed the word eBay in the OP for some reason - skim reading.
  • RED_KEN
    RED_KEN Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I sold the contents of a flat all collection only all paid by Pay Pal with no problems. also when i was selling off my contract mowing equipment again all collection only and Pay Pal payment. and never a problem.
    The big plus about getting the payment before collection is that people do tend to turn up.
    I had someone make a 80 mile round trip for a less than £10 bed frame and a young guy from the other side of London for a 10 year old fridgefreezer. it had to be a round trip of 200 miles , amazing.
    I do hear with cash on collection deals people do tend to haggle looking for petrol money at the very least. If that had been the case with the bed and the freezer I would have been the one paying the customer.
  • askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    I accepted PayPal and allowed a customer to arrange their own courier, once. Lost over £500 that day. I've also allowed a few other customers to collect lower value orders in person, but had them bring ID to prove they were the owner of the PayPal/ebay account.
    I'm sure the majority of buyers who want to buy with PayPal and collect are legit, but for high value items I wouldn't risk it.
    As for the doorstep haggling, when someone says "I spent £50 on petrol just getting here, give me that off the price" the correct response is "You spent £50 petrol just getting here, you're surely not going to leave empty handed?".

OP If you choose to let them do this, I would recommend getting signatures on paperwork to say they collected, and a photocopy of something with their name, photo and address on it (driver's licence?). It probably wouldn't hold up in a PayPal case, but it might put off casual scammers.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    I accepted PayPal and allowed a customer to arrange their own courier, once. Lost over £500 that day. I've also allowed a few other customers to collect lower value orders in person, but had them bring ID to prove they were the owner of the PayPal/ebay account.
    I'm sure the majority of buyers who want to buy with PayPal and collect are legit, but for high value items I wouldn't risk it.
    As for the doorstep haggling, when someone says "I spent £50 on petrol just getting here, give me that off the price" the correct response is "You spent £50 petrol just getting here, you're surely not going to leave empty handed?".

OP If you choose to let them do this, I would recommend getting signatures on paperwork to say they collected, and a photocopy of something with their name, photo and address on it (driver's licence?). It probably wouldn't hold up in a PayPal case, but it might put off casual scammers.

No it won't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport