Collection only item on Ebay

Options

Comments

• I ended up saying yes to paypal, then they decided they didn't want to drive 20 miles to collect!

So that was the end of that!
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Shame.

Cancel, refund and block.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,261 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RED_KEN wrote: »
    I sold the contents of a flat all collection only all paid by Pay Pal with no problems. also when i was selling off my contract mowing equipment again all collection only and Pay Pal payment. and never a problem.
    The big plus about getting the payment before collection is that people do tend to turn up.
    I had someone make a 80 mile round trip for a less than £10 bed frame and a young guy from the other side of London for a 10 year old fridgefreezer. it had to be a round trip of 200 miles , amazing.
    I do hear with cash on collection deals people do tend to haggle looking for petrol money at the very least. If that had been the case with the bed and the freezer I would have been the one paying the customer.

You were lucky, if the buyers had been dodgy you could have had a PayPal claim made against you up to 180 days after sale for an unauthorised use of card.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sjp1966
    sjp1966 Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With all this talk of potential scams on collection only what IS the best way of accepting payments for collection only items?
  • soolin
    Options
    sjp1966 wrote: »
    With all this talk of potential scams on collection only what IS the best way of accepting payments for collection only items?

Cash on collection is ideal, but difficult to achieve now on eBay.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sjp1966
    sjp1966 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Shame as I don't feel comfortable trying to sell relatively costly items on there for the fear of being done. I've tried classified ads for a more local feel but hardly anyone responds (if anyone).
  • soolin
    Options
    sjp1966 wrote: »
    Shame as I don't feel comfortable trying to sell relatively costly items on there for the fear of being done. I've tried classified ads for a more local feel but hardly anyone responds (if anyone).

I'm currently doing well on SHpock so it might be worth a look. I tend not to offer collection only items now on eBay.
  • Nesty
    Nesty Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    The problem is with large item is trying to get the person round in the first place. Personal collection and paypal just does not mix IMHO.
    There is just so much, which can go wrong after the person has their mitts on the item.
    I do find Preloved isn't too bad. Though depends upon the item and location. If you have an iphone 7 which, been run over by a car & you near London you will have loads of people around for some reason!
  • gemini12
    Options
    Personally I have both bought and sold collection only items and have never had a problem other than occasional delays in collection. I usually ask for cash on collection but have also both paid myself and been aid by paypal again with no problems.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If I buy items on ebay, I only pay via paypal. I did inadvertently win one item with the buyer later saying cash on collection only, even though payment by paypal was listed in the payment section.

Ebay said he could do this. I wasn't prepared to pay cash so we both withdrew from the auction.

Rightly or wrongly, I feel there is more protection if I pay by paypal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure