PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING part 2. Please read first post for links to other threads

Options

Comments

• mumsrevenge
    Options
    Oh! Thanks, off to give it a go........:j feel a bit of kitchen chemistry coming on !!!!
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know quite how to describe this, so please bear with me :o

I'm saving veggie bits to make a stock--making that the 1st cooking.
    I use the stock to make a batch of--say for arguements sake--spag bol, so 2nd cooking for the stock.
    If I then freeze some of the batch...will it be safe to use it given the stock base will be on its third cooking when it's reheated?

Perhaps not so much of an issue with veggie stock, but :confused: what about chicken or other stock made using meat bones? This frugality business is getting rather complex :(
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    Don't know quite how to describe this, so please bear with me :o

I'm saving veggie bits to make a stock--making that the 1st cooking.
    I use the stock to make a batch of--say for arguements sake--spag bol, so 2nd cooking for the stock.
    If I then freeze some of the batch...will it be safe to use it given the stock base will be on its third cooking when it's reheated?

Perhaps not so much of an issue with veggie stock, but :confused: what about chicken or other stock made using meat bones? This frugality business is getting rather complex :(

I've often wondered about that one myself. I freeze end of veg bits and pieces and when I have enough I use them to make a stock with a chicken carcass. I then usually re-freeze it and defrost it later to make soup. Often there is left-over soup that I freeze for lunches.

So what I'm doing is breaking all the 'laws' of freezing but I think providing the stock/soup is cooled and frozen quickly then reheated until piping hot it's fine. We've certainly survived eating the reheated soup with no problems.

Pink
  • queen_of_string
    Options
    I have 10 eggs past their date, am after the simplest way to use them up other than egg custard, have searched but cant find an egg glut thread. Had quiche tonight still got 10 left! thanks.
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • angelnikki
    Options
    I have 10 eggs past their date, am after the simplest way to use them up other than egg custard, have searched but cant find an egg glut thread thanks.
    If you whisk the eggs, you can freeze them, and then use for omelettes/cakes ;)

Or try this thread: Eggs eggs and more eggs!

Nikki x
    :A
  • queen_of_string
    Options
    thanks nikki, didnt find that when I searched eggs :-S didnt know you could freeze them either. ta very much
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • Treacle_2-2
    Options
    Hi all,

The farmer next door has given us the most gigantic potato, I'm just wondering how best to cook it - I'd like to keep it in it's jacket but I've no idea how long it would take in the oven, do you think I could wap it into the slow cooker for the day, maybe in some foil? Then I could half it, mix something yummy into it and cheese on top to pop in the oven to crisp up? What do you think?
  • sweetnskint
    Options
    if got microwave you could zap it in there for a bit then finish off in oven for perfect crispy skin! yum! 15-20 mins in oven if do it this way!-hope this helps!
    :starmod::starmod::starmod::starmod::starmod::starmod::starmod::starmod::starmod::starmod:
  • avinabacca
    Options
    If you were going to do it in the oven, see if you can stick a couple of metal skewers all the way through it (kebab-stylee!) when you put it in to cook. This'll help cook it from the inside, as the skewers get heated in the oven and conduct the heat to the inside of the spud. :)

Slow-cooker should be fine, though - never used them for spuds myself (normally use the main oven, or microwave to start and then the oven to crisp up some), but I know of plenty who do use it that way.

Hmmmm, you've got me thinking about jacket-spud dinner for tonight now, too........
    Oh come on, don't be silly.

It's the internet
    - it's not real!

• *niptuckfan*
    Options
    i agree with sweetnskint - zap in micro for a good ten mins (till you can pierce all way through) then bung in a hot oven to crisp - if you want rub with a little olive oil and salt/pepper - yummy
    How people treat you is their Karma: how you react is yours

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport