Very difficult situation regarding grandmother's will

Options

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Options
    gll5dm wrote: »
    I've spoken to the new guy in charge of the trust fund. It's been moved to a solicitors place in Sheffield and I need to call him back on Monday afternoon. Hopefully be able to move this along in the near future as this has been a joke to deal with. 5 months and counting.
    Don't lose heart now. Good luck.
  • gll5dm
    gll5dm Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support. Can't believe this thread has reached six pages and I am literally just one step on from where I started! Anyhow, I will be ringing this new guy at 2.30pm today and will be getting as much info as possible from him, so will provide an update this afternoon. :)
  • gll5dm
    Options
    So I spoke to the new guy who comes across very friendly and wanting to help. Unfortunately he says the files he received were in an absolute state and, for example, the letters we sent requesting an early winding up of the trust, are nowhere to be seen.

He explained how an early winding up of the trust, when investments are involved, may incur financial penalties so he'll need to look into if it's financially sensible to do so. That alone was more info than I was able to get out of the last useless woman who was in charge of it and was in contact with me.

He isn't actually a trustee of the fund yet as he says he'll need to write to the director of the company that has just gone into administration and request to be made the trustee; apparently this is a normal procedure.

It appears there will be an awful lot of waiting yet, and it could in the end turn out that the fund only closes when the final of the beneficiaries turns 25 next year, which would deem the last 6 months of my communicating with the old firm a complete waste of time.
  • gll5dm
    Options
    Still no further down the line.

The new solicitor was waiting a few weeks for the OK to act as trustee, and described the files he received as "as if they were thrown up into the air, landed and were shoved into a box". I guess we shouldn't be surprise at how long it's taking ..

I think it will just be wrapped up when the youngest beneficiary turns 25 in the middle of next year.
  • gll5dm
    Options
    Jeez louise... this is a saga. So apparently the PA to the solicitor now handling this phoned my mother this morning to let her know there is no penalty fee for withdrawing the investments early and that the whole thing ought to be able to be wrapped up within a fortnight. I await further info.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2017 at 1:39PM
    Options
    Still no further down the line.

The new solicitor was waiting a few weeks for the OK to act as trustee, and described the files he received as "as if they were thrown up into the air, landed and were shoved into a box". I guess we shouldn't be surprise at how long it's taking ..

I think it will just be wrapped up when the youngest beneficiary turns 25 in the middle of next year.
    Even if the will says 25, 18;is now the limit and the entitlement is now.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you gll5dm for keeping us updated. I follow some of these sagas with interest, initially because i think I might learn something from them, but yours, I have to say because I, like many others on here, are rooting for you (some would call this 'nosiness'!)
    But there are many threads where some people invest some time and trouble to help, and no-one comes back to let us know what happened - so thank you - and I hope we'll all soon be having a virtual drink with you!
  • gll5dm
    edited 12 November 2017 at 10:49PM
    Options
    jackyann wrote: »
    Thank you gll5dm for keeping us updated. I follow some of these sagas with interest, initially because i think I might learn something from them, but yours, I have to say because I, like many others on here, are rooting for you (some would call this 'nosiness'!)
    But there are many threads where some people invest some time and trouble to help, and no-one comes back to let us know what happened - so thank you - and I hope we'll all soon be having a virtual drink with you!
    Haha thanks for the kind words! I hope it's at least been an entertaining read. :D

I just want it all over, more so because my mum is broke and will be getting most of what one of my brothers receives, as he's borrowed so much from her over the past few years and she's been soft enough to continue bailing him out. The sooner the better!
  • gll5dm
    Options
    Update: Six weeks later and still absolutely no progress. Was told it would be wrapped up within two weeks... five weeks ago. The saga continues.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Update: Six weeks later and still absolutely no progress. Was told it would be wrapped up within two weeks... five weeks ago. The saga continues.

Really sorry to hear this is dragging on still.

Did you ever get around to making a formal complaint as I seem to recall earlier posters recommending?

How did it get transferred to Sheffield? Are they another office of the original firm of solicitors?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure