Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy

Options

Comments

• lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I am still really pleased with Green Star. Today I made th e decision to replace our 29 year old inefficient boiler with a brand new right up to date Vaillant Eco tech boiler and the change over will happen next week. We are high volume gas users as my husband has a heart condition which makes him feel continuously cold. I phoned Green Star and had a lovely general chat with Errol (think that was his name) about whether my direct debit should come down if I can demonstrate I'm using less energy after we get the new boiler. He said after a couple of months, compare usage to same months last year and if a significant percentage lower, ring them back and they will see what's to be done, perhaps a cheaper tariff and no change fees.

I told him how impressed I was by the fact that although at present I'm some £300+ in debit to Green Star, they haven't changed my direct debit, unlike former suppliers Extra Energy and Scottish Power. He said they would never change my DD without my consent. What a breath of fresh air! My fix ends in September so they are clearly taking cognisance of the fact our usage will decrease in the summer months.

Well done Green Star, I'm a very happy client.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • basil92
    basil92 Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My account with Green Star Energy is in a lot of credit and I just phoned to get the credit refunded.

I was told I could only get a partial refund as I had to leave so much credit in the account?

That's a new one on me! My meter readings are all up to date and I have clearly been overpaying and am unlikely to suddenly use shed loads more gas and electric, so why can't I have my money back?

Anyone else experienced this before?
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself :cool:

Chopper98 wrote: »
    Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 23 March 2016 at 9:50PM
    Options
    Well, I've had this experience with ExtraEnergy and Scottish Power, but not with Green Star, phone again?

Edit to add: really depends how much they're asking you to leave in and when your DD goes in I would think. I would accept the equivalent of one month's DD and expect the rest back, to be honest. There is still cold weather to come.

When you told them your annual usage were you accurate?
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • basil92
    Options
    lisa110rry wrote: »
    Well, I've had this experience with ExtraEnergy and Scottish Power, but not with Green Star, phone again?

Edit to add: really depends how much they're asking you to leave in and when your DD goes in I would think. I would accept the equivalent of one month's DD and expect the rest back, to be honest. There is still cold weather to come.

When you told them your annual usage were you accurate?

They said I had to leave a month and a half DD but in fact kept 2 months but were adamant I couldn't have any more refunded.

After years of paying my gas and electric by DD I do understand how it works and yes I told them my annual usage based on the previous years, but I am clearly overpaying and can't see how they can justify keeping my money?

• ukwmo
    ukwmo Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    My Dad decided to switch both gas and electric to Green Star. It was important to him that both switched, makes it easier for him to manage his direct debits. He told Green Star he wanted both fuels to switch ... or neither.

But his existing gas supplier objected because he couldn't immediately provide them with a final meter reading (his gas meter is in a box outside the house, he's housebound, doesn't like asking people to do things for him ... not even checking a meter).

Anyway, Green Star went ahead and switched his electricity over to them but that meant his gas was left with the existing supplier. He spent hours on the phone to them trying to cancel the electricity switch but he was one day late cancelling (he cancelled on day 15, but GreenStar give you 14 days to cancel). So he finally got his electricity switched back to his old supplier but Green Star then charged him a 30 quid penalty fee for switching within 12 months of their contract starting, plus 8 quid for the electricity he'd actually used.

He's 80 y/o and has Parkinsons. He's now in hospital following a fall. I've emailed them 3 times asking them to consider waiving the 30 quid penalty fee on the grounds of his age & poor health but they're refusing saying he needed to read the terms & conditions when he signed up. They're now declining to correspond with me because I'm not the account holder.

That's how Green Star Energy deal with vulnerable customers.
  • jillyemc
    Options
    I have never known such poor customer services as Green Star.
    My poor mother who is a pensioner has been trying now for months to get the money that she had overpaid Green Star re-credited. What has followed is ignored emails, multiple requests from them for meter readings, that have always been sent. Promises that the money has been refunded then further requests for yet more meter readings. Then to compound it all the latest actual readings sent 13 days ago are shown on a bill but have been superseded by estimated figures!! and till no refund, It is absolutley disgraceful.
    Don't bother with them, the rate may be good but the stress is not,
  • wolfie_bill_2
    Options
    :mad::mad: Switched to British Gas at the end of February. Green Star acknowledged they'd lost me as a customer in early April. As a result of their greed, they had taken an enormously excessive amount in direct debits. After a number of phone calls and emails, I am still waiting for my substantial refund.

DON'T TOUCH THIS COMPANY!
  • basil92
    Options
    Utterly inept are my thoughts on Green Star(less) Energy.

I submitted final meter readings and terminated my contract with them 29/04/2016. A new tenant took over the supply the same day.

After to speaking to them 02/05/2016 they said my account would be finalised and I would receive a final statement and refund within 7 days (my account is over £100 in credit).

They then tried to take a further direct debit 06/05/2016.

I then received a rather threatening letter telling me I need to pay the amount of the direct debit or else I will be billed at their standard rate, rather than the fixed rate I was on.

Numerous emails from me since have gone unanswered and they still have my money!!:mad:

Is this grounds for a complaint :( and more importantly, how the heck do I go about getting my refund?

• robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2016 at 3:33PM
    Options
    basil92 wrote: »
    Utterly inept are my thoughts on Green Star(less) Energy.

I submitted final meter readings and terminated my contract with them 29/04/2016. A new tenant took over the supply the same day.

After to speaking to them 02/05/2016 they said my account would be finalised and I would receive a final statement and refund within 7 days (my account is over £100 in credit).

They then tried to take a further direct debit 06/05/2016.

I then received a rather threatening letter telling me I need to pay the amount of the direct debit or else I will be billed at their standard rate, rather than the fixed rate I was on.

Numerous emails from me since have gone unanswered and they still have my money!!:mad:

Is this grounds for a complaint :( and more importantly, how the heck do I go about getting my refund?

Ofgem says suppliers must refund credit when a customer makes a request, by closing your account with a credit balance you've done this.

If the credit is withheld, the supplier must explain why and consumers can challenge this through the energy ombudsman.

The following should be best practice https://www.eonenergy.com/About-eon/how-we-service-our-customers/~/media/PDFs/General-PDFs/10%20Principles%20of%20Good%20Practice.pdf

If you've evidence of unanswered emails etc, then I'd suggest you have a look at https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ for more info.

I used to work for a utility company and they were a shower of, I strongly suspect they all are.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • basil92
    Options
    Ofgem says suppliers must refund credit when a customer makes a request, by closing your account with a credit balance you've done this.

If the credit is withheld, the supplier must explain why and consumers can challenge this through the energy ombudsman.

The following should be best practice https://www.eonenergy.com/About-eon/how-we-service-our-customers/~/media/PDFs/General-PDFs/10%20Principles%20of%20Good%20Practice.pdf

If you've evidence of unanswered emails etc, then I'd suggest you have a look at https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ for more info.

I used to work for a utility company and they were a shower of, I strongly suspect they all are.

Yep..I did too for 2 years (many many years ago), but if someone ended their contract refunds were done as soon as final meter readings were verified..a cheque:eek: was sent out the same day...

I have evidence of at least 6 unanswered emails..but they have over £100 of my money, why would they rush to answer :(:(

Best practice :rotfl: I'm not holding my breath!!!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family