Travelling On

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad the first phase of all things French are done.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    Do you get bee eaters as well Gally?
    Yes we do :j, though they're still on their winter holidays :D. Never see them too close but they sit on the telegraph wires. I think we get siskins as well - quite a distinctive call and small and yellow so pretty sure it's them. They would be small enough for you :rotfl:.

Sorry for hijack KC and good news on the French front :T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    I've been known to walk a very long way round a big group of pigeons on the ground. Is there a term for a group of pigeons I wonder?

"A freezer-full."
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I have great sympathy for anything anyone does that looks like an overreaction to something ... I have several triggers to a startle response myself, it's horrible.

The important thing is not to overstress the aftermath of the reaction. If you have a uncontrolled instinctive reaction, then so many people think to themselves "I should be X, Y and Z - I shouldn't have A, B & C". It's an instinctive reaction. "Uncontrolled" is in it's job title. It is what it is.

You've got to remember that people reacting in different ways is all part of how humans survived, especially when meeting new things and situations. When they first came out of Africa and met wolves for the first time, half of them would think "Ooh! Isn't it cute?" and the uneaten ones would have been the ones who ran.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 March 2018 at 11:44AM
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Sorry for hijack KC and good news on the French front :T.
    You're welcome, I love hijacks :j And the siskin is *so* pretty!

Bad news on the French front, though - my accountant replied by the close of business, and she says its still 20 years to full rebate on the VAT for the apartment - the rebate does increase year on year, so at some stage this year, I'll find the paperwork and see if its worth doing now - I don't feel any urgency about it, I must say :p
    ZTD wrote: »
    The important thing is not to overstress the aftermath of the reaction. If you have a uncontrolled instinctive reaction, then so many people think to themselves "I should be X, Y and Z - I shouldn't have A, B & C". It's an instinctive reaction. "Uncontrolled" is in it's job title. It is what it is.

You've got to remember that people reacting in different ways is all part of how humans survived, especially when meeting new things and situations. When they first came out of Africa and met wolves for the first time, half of them would think "Ooh! Isn't it cute?" and the uneaten ones would have been the ones who ran.
    Spot on, Z, and I've stopped apologising for it, a long time ago. Evolution in action :j

Today I have:
    - put the dishwasher on.
    - used my phone to get the mobile watch SB points.
    - got millions of SB points via lappie (nearly there!)
    - while I was scanning photos, from 1988 :D
    - watching out for the friend of An Enormous Thing that I killed in the kitchen last night :(

I like the automated multi-tasking :)

Shutting down as soon as I've reached a good stopping point on the photos, I'm off out to a Games Afternoon today, I've even got a lift there and back :j hope everyone has a good day.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    - watching out for the friend of An Enormous Thing that I killed in the kitchen last night :(

Shutting down as soon as I've reached a good stopping point on the photos, I'm off out to a Games Afternoon today, I've even got a lift there and back :j hope everyone has a good day.

What kind of Enormous Thing was it, KC?:eek: Furry or creepy-crawly?

Luckily, being a rural dweller, I'm not fussed by any creatures except the feathered variety. I wouldn't want the house over-run by any of them:rotfl: but I tend to believe in live and let live. I even release house spiders into the garden but I'm not sure I'm doing them a great service in this cold weather:think:

Games Afternoon sounds fun. I hope you had a good time:beer:
  • gallygirl
    Options

Luckily, being a rural dweller, I'm not fussed by any creatures except the feathered variety. I wouldn't want the house over-run by any of them:rotfl: but I tend to believe in live and let live. I even release house spiders into the garden but I'm not sure I'm doing them a great service in this cold weather:think:

As our house is on the same level as outside (makes for fun when there's heavy rain:rotfl:) we get woodlice which can get through the little gap at the side of the door. I don't mind them at all, but have to rescue them from Mary the robotic vacuum cleaner who tries to swallow them then spits them back out again :eek:. The only thing that I can't countenance in the house is cockroaches _pale_. Luckily they are far and few between as neither of us can sleep till we find it :(. Oh, and we had two of these last year :eek::eek::eek:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Creepy. Very creepy ...
    Good point! If the stars are all in the right place for me to reach them with the vacuum cleaner, then they get relocated to the group of trees over the road.
    Games Afternoon sounds fun. I hope you had a good tie:beer:
    Thanks! It was brill - I won at Chinese Chequers :j:j:j

Plus my friend wanted us to choose some prints in remembrance of his wife, as well as being a top notch in the counselling world, she was a professional print maker. We each chose four, I remember her talking about all of them. It was great to have a meet up.
    gallygirl wrote: »
    As our house is on the same level as outside (makes for fun when there's heavy rain:rotfl:) we get woodlice which can get through the little gap at the side of the door. I don't mind them at all, but have to rescue them from Mary the robotic vacuum cleaner who tries to swallow them then spits them back out again :eek:. The only thing that I can't countenance in the house is cockroaches _pale_. Luckily they are far and few between as neither of us can sleep till we find it :(. Oh, and we had two of these last year :eek::eek::eek:.
    Blimey! Those aren't too good, and I only looked at half the picture! I'm not a fan of cockroaches either - the last therapy rooms we rented for our practice in London was over a restaurant, and at one stage there were cockroaches under the cushions in the dratted therapy room. So not good!

Woodlice - I adore them :D I've had a conversation in the past (with Cheery, I think) about how long sweeping can take, in the house or the garden, because you need to wait and let the woodlice have time to climb out of the dustpan :rotfl:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    A lovely lovely way to remember your friend :love:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Thank you beanie, it really is, it's a lovely closure.
  • gallygirl
    Options
    Blimey! Those aren't too good, and I only looked at half the picture!
    They are supposedly 4 - 6". Hmm...... These were definitely at the higher end of the spectrum :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

That's lovely re the prints KC :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback