SIPP investment in Property

Options

Comments

• AshBurt
    Options
    Hello Vistario I have invested myself personally to the tune of £19k and have received every return on the exact date required - Dolphin Trust in Germany
    This is via a SIPP - if you want to talk to me then let me know.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a friend who invested £20k in a German woodland to be added to his SIPP. He paid the money over 5 years ago and not 1 tree has been planted yet. If it sounds too good to be true, then likely it is.
  • claretmatt
    claretmatt Posts: 224 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone seen any returns from these loan notes?

I'm seeing a new client today who invested £63,000 in this. Considering the introducer and IFA have disappeared with the later now in default I'm not optimistic.

The SIPP provider is adamant that it is a sound investment but my experience I have my doubts.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner

A
    nything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice as different people have different needs.
  • CRAEDXB
    Options
    Hello to all key contributors, I`m a new member - please can anyone please share any updates - good or bad on Dolphin Capital....I have recently been recommended again (first time 18 months ago). Curious to know how things have developed on this since the original 2013 post on the same subject, Thanks in advance
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nothing has changed except cold calling on pensions being banned and the regulator and consumer bodies creating further encouragement for consumers to avoid unregulated investment options in SIPPs.

The biggest complaint area in pensions at this time (and for most of the recent years) is the use of unregulated investments in SIPPs.

Who is doing this recommending? Have you got yourself on a mugs list?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • CRAEDXB
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Recently returned from overseas after 20 years away - seeking investment advice and this was presented as alternative option without any hard sales by a seemingly genuine gent at an accounting firm around 18 months ago. Re presented to me again recently and I was curious before an upcoming meeting with same gent on its current status or performance
  • CBX1985
    CBX1985 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Nothing has changed except cold calling on pensions being banned and the regulator and consumer bodies creating further encouragement for consumers to avoid unregulated investment options in SIPPs.

The biggest complaint area in pensions at this time (and for most of the recent years) is the use of unregulated investments in SIPPs.

Who is doing this recommending? Have you got yourself on a mugs list?

I am an adviser. I joined a local respected company back in 2015. Well, I thought they were respectable until after I was an adviser with them. I was "free" to advise clients on anything I wanted, but the MD used to expect us to have a weekly phone conference with the Dolphin salesman, who was shall we say a little pushy. I was offered, I kid you not, 7% commission for selling this stuff. (it is exempt from RDR, "apparently" - I am not convinced on that). The practice got another 7% for the sale. And no one ever answered my question of how a guaranteed 26% a year loan plus the sizeable cost of their sales company and all the other costs was a good deal for the construction business over just going to a bank for their "guaranteed" business model.

My hitherto colleagues have about £20m AUM in this crap. It sells like hotcakes. Before anyone asks, I refused to sell any, and joined Intrinsic 6 weeks later - I'm now fully restricted, but at least there is no scam.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was offered, I kid you not, 7% commission for selling this stuff. (it is exempt from RDR, "apparently"

Unregulated stuff is by definition unregulated and not subject to regulations. It explains why the dodgy firms sold them.
    It sells like hotcakes.

As plenty of posts on this site show, if you make the figure big enough and can get the person's greed going, they will try to find ways to believe you even when logic would suggest otherwise.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I!!!8217;ve been approached again. Didn!!!8217;t like the sound of it first time around and even less now. Formed in 2008 pays out 2 year and 5 year depending on length of investment. So in 2013 and 2018 would be looking for new investors to pay out to the original people. Just a thought. I!!!8217;m super cautious so nothing like this would ever tempt me to invest any money I had worked extremely hard for or risk my pension that is the only asset I possess.
  • CBX1985
    CBX1985 Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2018 at 10:06PM
    Options
    I!!!8217;ve been approached again. Didn!!!8217;t like the sound of it first time around and even less now. Formed in 2008 pays out 2 year and 5 year depending on length of investment. So in 2013 and 2018 would be looking for new investors to pay out to the original people. Just a thought. I!!!8217;m super cautious so nothing like this would ever tempt me to invest any money I had worked extremely hard for or risk my pension that is the only asset I possess.
    Very wise not going into this.

I forgot to say, thinking back the way it keeps afloat is a bit like Jordan Belfort's training on Wolf of Wall Street. There was no adviser trail, but every re-investment would get the adviser their seven percent and for also for the firm. So obviously the name of the game was to ensure everyone just rolled their investment on and added on their 12% gain on initial investment. Keeping everyone on the Ferris Wheel, so the only payouts were to advisers and the sales company.

Every game of musical chairs has a point the music stops.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback