OMG am I lighting up a town?

Options

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 November 2017 at 1:04PM
    Options
    We have a 3 bedroomed semi occupied by the two of us, two cavaliers and a metre long tank of tropical fish. (heater and pump working)

We use a washing machine about three times a week, the tumble dryer on wet or very cold days ,but dishes are done by hand as the dishwasher is broken and awaits replacement. We are running a fridge freezer and an upright freezer in the garage,cooking is by electricity (regular use of cooker, microwave, kettle,with very occasional use of a bread maker).

The main 42"tv has a Sky box and the small bedroom tv has a Humax box not used for recording. Heating and hot water are by gas combi (so no wasted heat on stored water).

We have two laptops, mine being on all day (as is the heating which uses some electricity ) and my husband's being on for about 4 hours/day. My laptop is Bluetooth linked to 3 mains electric speakers and until this summer I used a Wii for 1-2 hours' exercise 5 days a week.

On this our usage is 7+ Kwh for most of the year, straying into just over 8Kwh in winter.

This was even so when the old boiler broke and we had to use kettles for all hot water and a back up, for the gas fire, from a thermostatically controlled up to 3Kwh electric oil filled radiator. (We still use this in the kitchen ,after having the its central heating radiator removed, if the weather is very cold.)
  • easygoing
    Options
    We have had the meter and check meter read again today. They have told us from 30th October to today we have used £320. We are on standard tariff with SSE! ANYONE!! Please. They are saying, that I what we are using. does anyone know who I can call out to check everything.. it cant be right.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    easygoing wrote: »
    We have had the meter and check meter read again today. They have told us from 30th October to today we have used £320. We are on standard tariff with SSE! ANYONE!! Please. They are saying, that I what we are using. does anyone know who I can call out to check everything.. it cant be right.

Try an electrician. If both meters are recording usage, then the problem sits on your side of the meter. This is your responsibility: suppliers will just sit back and bill you for the electricity consumed. You mentioned ‘barns’ in your original post. Are you sure that electricity is not be routed via your meter to these buildings? A good electrician should be able to check where electricity is being consumed.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to get yourself on a better tariff with SSE - standard tariff is expensive.

But that's not the root problem.

You have mentioned small holding, barns and neighbours. Was this once a farm ?

Farms can grow like Topsy and their electrical distribution with it. Perhaps your bungalow is supplying a water pump or the adjacent barns.

You need to turn detective !
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    4 tests, two of them passed and two of them failed - why was this not investigated further?

Why did two of the tests fail?

Have you tried reading the meter then shutting off the main supply switch for a couple of hours or so then reading it again to see if it moves - if it does, you know for sure that either the meter is faulty or there is something leeching/feeding off your supply.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    D_M_E wrote: »
    4 tests, two of them passed and two of them failed - why was this not investigated further?

Why did two of the tests fail?

Have you tried reading the meter then shutting off the main supply switch for a couple of hours or so then reading it again to see if it moves - if it does, you know for sure that either the meter is faulty or there is something leeching/feeding off your supply.
    Also, throw the main switch to off and see if all your neighbours go off too. ;)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    OP, from your earlier post you stated that SSE are investigating. Is that investigation still ongoing?
    To be fair SSE have been very supportive and have treated us with the up most respect and understanding.

It has been established without question something is drastically wrong with your supply and there seems little point in loads of posts on saving little amounts of electricity.

If you are not happy with SSE's handling of your problem, submit a formal complaint.
  • easygoing
    Options
    It would appear that as far as they are concerned, the test meter reads the same. We have booked an electrician to come in next week, to test all appliances for us. We are currently using candles and due to the failure of a company who were to fit air source heating today, are huddled around a long burner. Great!! I will update when we have news on electrical items in our home. Can it get worse?!!! two disabled people in the home and we are not having fun!! ha ha.
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    With what you're being charged it might be worth emptying the freezer and going away for a few days holiday whilst you switch everything off. If any other people are using your supply they'll jump up and down, and if your meter continues to revolve then there's an issue..
  • somersethillbilly
    Options
    easygoing wrote: »
    To me, it seems our electricity is going elsewhere, but we are on our own here, with just a small holding without house, but barns next door.

Neighbour's got a "grow" going on? Piggy backing off your electricity?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure