Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jraf
    • By jraf 26th Nov 17, 11:39 AM
    • 69Posts
    • 26Thanks
    jraf
    Curve Card technique - withdraw cash on any credit card with no fee
    • 26th Nov 17, 11:39 AM
    Curve Card technique - withdraw cash on any credit card with no fee 26th Nov 17 at 11:39 AM
    Hey guys,

Just thought I'd share a quick tip for you fellow stoozers if you're not aware already (I didn't see a thread for this in the sub-forum)

If you apply for a curve card (you'll need to do it through the 'Curve' app on iphone or android)
    you can add any card to the app and then pay through the selected credit card. You can withdraw up to 200 cash fee-free using the card and it will show on your credit card statement as a normal transaction rather than a cash withdrawal.

Also, you can get 5 in bonus points on sign up if you get recommened (PM me if you need a code). There's also a referral page on the referrers forum of this site.

Cheers!
Page 5
    • The Urbanite
    • By The Urbanite 30th Nov 18, 11:36 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    The Urbanite
    Does anybody know if you can add those Mastercard/Visa gift cards they sell in supermarkets to Curve and then withdraw cash off them?
    Originally posted by 2ilent8cho

Doubtful - but there are already lots of ways they can be liquidated free of charge.
    • Mr.Saver
    • By Mr.Saver 30th Nov 18, 12:13 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Mr.Saver
    FYI, sometime ago Curve silently updated their FAQ with the following: https://support.imaginecurve.com/hc/en-gb/articles/214162625-How-will-my-bank-see-my-transactions-with-Curve-

So your credit card issuer will see the "merchant category code" and know you have taken the money out from an ATM.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 7th Jan 19, 8:25 AM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 7,723 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Monzo is useful for getting cash abroad from an ATM. On my last holiday, I used both Monzo and Curve to get cash in local currency; 200 equivalent worth each card.

Referral links should only be posted on the referrals forum.

(And Tesco Bank is no longer run by RBS)
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 8th Jan 19, 7:04 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 234 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    I liked the email from Curve that a "small percentage" of users were affected by the MCC being passed effectively blocking CC ATM withdrawals

Depends on their definition of small I guess!!!

Also they've now updated their T&Cs to say you aren't allowed to pay off other credit cards with your Curve Card - so even if it does work out fee-free (as it was for me until I hit my limit), they'll kick off over the Fair Use Policy!
    Work in Underwriting (Mortgages) - posts are my opinion/experience etc, not official company policy/lending rules.

Only the underwriter assigned to a case at full application stage can give a 100% definitive answer to queries
    • Angel Investor
    • By Angel Investor 10th Jan 19, 12:52 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Angel Investor
    Good info
    Great thread, thanks for the heads up
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 2nd Feb 19, 5:12 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    Has anyone withdrawn cash with a credit card via Curve recently and not incurred a fee? The most recent updates I can find are from October 2018, and want to know if anything has changed over the last few months.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 2nd Feb 19, 7:46 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 7,723 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Tesco will charge. I've seen reports that NatWest do. All others free AFAIK.
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 2nd Feb 19, 7:53 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    Tesco will charge. I've seen reports that NatWest do. All others free AFAIK.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Thanks. This is what I have read too, but again nothing from this year. I phoned John Lewis Finance to ask about how it would register with the Partnership Card, and the representative said that it would be very unusual for it to not be registered as a non-cash transaction.
    • faddy
    • By faddy 24th Apr 19, 12:47 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    faddy
    For Starling, it's also not clear if there is any difference between topping up *in app* and topping up using the *Settle Up link*. You may well find there is no difference, but again, there's no info...
    Originally posted by jtgaoler
    My Starling account doesn't seem to have an in app top up option. Is it something they've removed?
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 24th Apr 19, 2:40 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    crumpetman
    My Starling account doesn't seem to have an in app top up option. Is it something they've removed?
    Originally posted by faddy
    On the home screen where your balance is shown, do you have a + next to it? Tap that and I get these options to add money:

Debit card
    Transfer
    Switch

Choose debit card and can then add between 50 and 250 per day.
    • David mark
    • By David mark 25th Apr 19, 12:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    David mark
    Thanks man this really works fine
    • faddy
    • By faddy 2nd May 19, 12:08 AM
    • 504 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    faddy
    On the home screen where your balance is shown, do you have a + next to it? Tap that and I get these options to add money:

Debit card
    Transfer
    Switch

Choose debit card and can then add between 50 and 250 per day.
    Originally posted by crumpetman
    I only get the Transfer and Switch Options. I've only had the app/account for a couple of months so maybe this is a recent change?
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 2nd May 19, 9:53 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    crumpetman
    Could be, I've had mine for nearly a year. I did read on another site that Monzo used to allow debit card top ups and then removed the feature, could be that Starling is heading that way too.
    • studentsaver_889
    • By studentsaver_889 2nd May 19, 8:01 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    studentsaver_889
    I can't see the option on my starling.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 14th Jun 19, 8:25 AM
    • 2,999 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Anyone used a CC via Curve to pay HMRC?
    • adindas
    • By adindas 14th Jun 19, 10:01 AM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    adindas
    Could be, I've had mine for nearly a year. I did read on another site that Monzo used to allow debit card top ups and then removed the feature, could be that Starling is heading that way too.
    I wonder what is what is the advantage of linking Monzo and Curve card for topup ?

If it is a reward credit card where you get rewards (say 0.5%) for tops up (and withdraw it again from cash machine) it is easy to understand as you will get 0.5% cash. But I understand Monzo does not offer any rewards, so what I have been missing here ??.
    Last edited by adindas; 14-06-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 14th Jun 19, 7:34 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    crumpetman
    Not linking Monzo and Curve but a cashback credit card and Curve then using Curve to deposit money to a bank account. There is no guarantee it will work without incurring a fee or breaking terms and conditions of Curve card.
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 14th Jun 19, 8:31 PM
    • 4,248 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    Anyone used a CC via Curve to pay HMRC?
    Originally posted by stphnstevey
    Yes, it's worked fine when I have used it for this purpose.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 14th Jun 19, 8:33 PM
    • 3,852 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    adindas
    Not linking Monzo and Curve but a cashback credit card and Curve then using Curve to deposit money to a bank account. There is no guarantee it will work without incurring a fee or breaking terms and conditions of Curve card.
    Thanks for clarification. As this is about using curve to make extra cash I previously thought you were referring to Monzo in relation to this.

FP for Monzo, Starling, is not bad it is just take less than half day to arrive. I am aware that with debit card it is almost instant so it is also my favourable way to add fund.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,767Posts Today

8,017Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin