Curve Card technique - withdraw cash on any credit card with no fee

Comments

• Mr.Saver
    Mr.Saver Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    FYI, sometime ago Curve silently updated their FAQ with the following: https://support.imaginecurve.com/hc/en-gb/articles/214162625-How-will-my-bank-see-my-transactions-with-Curve-

So your credit card issuer will see the "merchant category code" and know you have taken the money out from an ATM.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Monzo is useful for getting cash abroad from an ATM. On my last holiday, I used both Monzo and Curve to get cash in local currency; £200 equivalent worth each card.

Referral links should only be posted on the referrals forum.

(And Tesco Bank is no longer run by RBS)
  • I liked the email from Curve that a "small percentage" of users were affected by the MCC being passed effectively blocking CC ATM withdrawals

Depends on their definition of small I guess!!!

Also they've now updated their T&Cs to say you aren't allowed to pay off other credit cards with your Curve Card - so even if it does work out fee-free (as it was for me until I hit my limit), they'll kick off over the Fair Use Policy!
  • Great thread, thanks for the heads up
  • Has anyone withdrawn cash with a credit card via Curve recently and not incurred a fee? The most recent updates I can find are from October 2018, and want to know if anything has changed over the last few months.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Tesco will charge. I've seen reports that NatWest do. All others free AFAIK.
  • Nick_C wrote: »
    Tesco will charge. I've seen reports that NatWest do. All others free AFAIK.

Thanks. This is what I have read too, but again nothing from this year. I phoned John Lewis Finance to ask about how it would register with the Partnership Card, and the representative said that it would be very unusual for it to not be registered as a non-cash transaction.
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    jtgaoler wrote: »
    For Starling, it's also not clear if there is any difference between topping up *in app* and topping up using the *Settle Up link*. You may well find there is no difference, but again, there's no info...

My Starling account doesn't seem to have an in app top up option. Is it something they've removed?
  • crumpetman
    crumpetman Posts: 339 Forumite
    faddy wrote: »
    My Starling account doesn't seem to have an in app top up option. Is it something they've removed?

On the home screen where your balance is shown, do you have a + next to it? Tap that and I get these options to add money:

Debit card
    Transfer
    Switch

Choose debit card and can then add between £50 and £250 per day.
  • Thanks man this really works fine
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure