Water repair rip off

Options
Severn Trent carried out a repair to a pipe on a joint supply. They deny the pipe is theirs because it is on private land; however, after the stop !!!! on the main road there is another which they admit they own a few feet from this pipe as it enters the house. From that point on the pipe is clearly the responsibility of the owner. If they own the outside stop !!!! surely they own the pipe between it and their other stopcock on the main road. Then they put in a bill for reasonable costs which was not broken down. If I am liable for £2k as 50% of the repair how do I find if these costs are reasonable (reasonable not meaning cheapest of course)? Thoughts? I wrote to them at length but had a brush off letter from them.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum

Any pipe under your land i.e. from your boundary, and going solely to your house is your responsibility.

https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/households/supply-and-standards/supply-pipes/

Supply pipes are the smaller pipes that carry water from company pipework into the property. Supply pipes run from the boundary of the property (where there may be a company stop-tap) up until the first water fitting or stop-tap inside the property. Stop-taps along the length of the supply pipe, and any water fittings, are the property owner’s responsibility to maintain.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    As Cardew mentions they are responsible up to the boundary only , a stop tap does not define responsibility
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mark, check if your buildings insurance covers this. Mine does.
  • Epizone
    Options
    Severn Trent carried out a repair to a pipe on a joint supply. They deny the pipe is theirs because it is on private land; however, after the stop !!!! on the main road there is another which they admit they own a few feet from this pipe as it enters the house. From that point on the pipe is clearly the responsibility of the owner. If they own the outside stop !!!! surely they own the pipe between it and their other stopcock on the main road. Then they put in a bill for reasonable costs which was not broken down. If I am liable for £2k as 50% of the repair how do I find if these costs are reasonable (reasonable not meaning cheapest of course)? Thoughts? I wrote to them at length but had a brush off letter from them.

Who instructed Severn Trent to carry out the work?

They cannot unilaterally decide to come along, do some work, and then expect you to foot the bill for that work, nor 50% of it.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Epizone wrote: »
    Who instructed Severn Trent to carry out the work?

They cannot unilaterally decide to come along, do some work, and then expect you to foot the bill for that work, nor 50% of it.

I believe they can if they issued a section 75 notice and it wasn't acted upon.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 December 2019 at 3:28PM
    Options
    deanos wrote: »

Correct - we had a leak and were given a leaflet by Anglian Water that if it wasn't sorted within 28 days then they would come and do the work at our cost.

I contacted our insurance who got it sorted it out and AW gave us a refund for thelost water.

Have a read of this and check the legal info at the back - https://www.stwater.co.uk/content/dam/stw/my-water/document/repairing-leaks-leaflet.pdf

Apparently the actual legislation only obliges them to give you a minimum of seven days to get it fixed, so did the OP did get a notice, leaflet or warning and fail to get on with it within the timescale.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • DawnCrush
    DawnCrush Posts: 220 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 December 2019 at 9:01AM
    Options
    deanos wrote: »

Sorry, but where does the OP mention having been served with such a notice? :huh:

I've looked but I can't see it myself. Maybe I need to go to SpecSavers!

But if it is there, then the OP's post wouldn't make much sense. If they had received such a notice then the OP would not now be asking if they are liable for somone having carried out the repair following their failure to do so, such repair being necessary as defined by the act..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure