PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• xx_Jo_xx
    xx_Jo_xx Posts: 2,858 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Hey tattycath,

I'm on the other side of the fence. I bought a fridge freezer last month and took the money out of the grocery budget, because that's the cash that was available to spend.

If you have spending money available to buy things for the house, then there is probably no need to take it from your food money, but I find that when I've done that in the past, I end up spending more than I should or need to. I justify it to myself that it's ok because it's not included. But when I added my additional spends back to my grocery budget, I was no better off.

HTH
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D
  • john2009black
    Options
    Could I be added for November, we have recently been cutting down our costs but Groceries is the big spend. We spent £648 in September for a fimly of 2 adults and 2 children (oldest is almost 3 youngest is 8 months). I was thinking of setting a limit of £400 a month to start.

I didn't realise how much we spend until i sat down and worked it out. Its 2 pounds cheaper than our rent. :eek:

Does any one with a family have a shoppping list they could send me? Just trying to get an idea of what others are doing.

Thanks
  • stafftopets
    Options
    May i join you.......

First month of challenge so i am going for £300 for the 2 of us and house rabbit.
    Added up last month's spend on food nearly £800!!!!!:eek: what did i spend it on as i have a lonely freezer and cupboard.

Determined to have more control this month as it is a five weeks till payday.:o
    Grocery Challenge: £42.13 /£100 September 2013
    Current Debt: £32,000 (31.08.13) :eek: Final LBM (31.08.13)
    Out of debt, out of danger - Joan Jonker
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    Still in October until the 1st (and not doing well ) but can I go for £260 for Nov this is an increase of £20 from last month but we have an extra adult to feed for 10 days and also its a 5 week month for us. Hopefully wont need the extra but its there to fall back on if required. (she says crossing everything lol) :D

Nice to see new people on here :wave: - hope you manage to spend less than you are doing at the moment.
    Hope everyone has a good Nov and manages to keep more money in your purse. Good luck.

john2009black & stafftopets - wow thats some going hope you both manage to make substanial reductions in the figures.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £400 for me please.
    Oh, and has anyone seen my slow cooker - it disappeared during our move. I'm distraught!
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • cheerfulness4
    Options
    Could you put me down for £200 in November please? :)
  • Godiva500
    Godiva500 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £400 for me please for November starting end of next week. Will stick to it next month if it kills me!!!
    Thanks xx
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Could I be added for November, we have recently been cutting down our costs but Groceries is the big spend. We spent £648 in September for a fimly of 2 adults and 2 children (oldest is almost 3 youngest is 8 months). I was thinking of setting a limit of £400 a month to start.

I didn't realise how much we spend until i sat down and worked it out. Its 2 pounds cheaper than our rent. :eek:

Does any one with a family have a shoppping list they could send me? Just trying to get an idea of what others are doing.

Thanks
    May i join you.......

First month of challenge so i am going for £300 for the 2 of us and house rabbit.
    Added up last month's spend on food nearly £800!!!!!:eek: what did i spend it on as i have a lonely freezer and cupboard.

Determined to have more control this month as it is a five weeks till payday.:o

Welcome john2009black and stafftopets. I spent the same as you in November and December 2011 and my signature shows my generous budget, even now (but 50-60% of what it was). DS (20) has recently moved out and so this month looks really healthy but it hasn't always been so and I have struggled sometimes. Rather than tell you what to do or what to include or what to buy, it might help if you read the first couple of posts by Zippychick - there is some excellent advice there.

It took about three months for me to really start learning on here - I wrote a list and stuck to it - that helps a bit but it was my weeks where I used up some of the Suffolk siege supplies I had accumulated that things started to make sense. Then I only bought the ingredients I needed and now I have a separate 13th "month" for stocking up. I check the printable coupon thread and I stock up when things are really cheap (bogof, 3 for 2 with 1 coupon per item or YS - that's yellow sticker or reduced items). I still buy some brands but I also buy some value things and I bake my own bread and biscuits.

You have to work through what works for you. Best advice is to do a full inventory of all you have in (including any stashes of items - some on here have loft insulation made of toilet rolls, just by way of illustration) - and identify why you buy what you do (habit, standing list, can't resist, bored browser, bargain hunter - we're all here somewhere) then try to combat the behaviour.

I won't go on - just really do try some of the excellent recipes and do what works for you. My thing is chopping up bendy veg and freezing it to add to soups, stews and bolognaise. I stretch the quantity with lentils, grated veg and oats and it all tastes lovely but half the price it was...

Best of luck and well done for entering the challenge - keep reading and posting and feel free to ask.

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • KolaKube
    KolaKube Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all!

A shamefully large first spend of the month to declare of £84.61 with a MrA delivery...

Good news is there's loads in there and we should now be stocked up for the month for meat, frozen veg, household stuff, fizzy drinks and 'treats' (e.g. smartprice bikkies and crisps, and we bought in a few takeaway things for the freezer like the fresh pizzas 2 for £4 and a chinese & indian meal deal (2 mains, 2 rice and 2 sides for £7 - we split a portion so thats 2x £3.50 takeaways where we would normally spend a lot more!)).

Also bought a few car de-icers (2 for £2) as our windows have already iced up a few times this month (Northern Ireland!)

Will need to continue to buy fresh veg / dairy / bread as the month goes on. Fingers crossed for the £200 budget lol :rotfl:
    MFW Sept 2013 Starting balance: £101160.59 25 years :eek:
    OPs 2013-2014: £64.33 :o MFW #78
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £200 for me again - I get paid weekly and husband gets paid every 4 weeks so this is how we always have £50 per week and a 4 week month :D
    Blah
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport