Faulty sofa from furniture village.

Options

Comments

• fthl
    fthl Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    so it seems that Mal did not 'claim against them sucessfully' in court - he obtained a good will gesture from them. I stand by my interpretation of the law and beleive a court would do likewise.

If I was FV, I'm sure I would have already seen his POC, if he'd had one. Which it seems he didn't.

You'll also see I was not recommending that the poster give up, just correcting incorrect statements as to their rights. Asking a court for things you cannot have can be expensive.

David Douglas v Glenvarigill Company Limited [2010] is a good recent authority on rejection, although it is Scottish so some care is needed.

I believe that FV did sell some of the toxic sofas.
  • malchish
    malchish Posts: 341 Forumite
    Options
    fthl wrote: »
    so it seems that Mal did not 'claim against them sucessfully' in court - he obtained a good will gesture from them. I stand by my interpretation of the law and beleive a court would do likewise.

If I was FV, I'm sure I would have already seen his POC, if he'd had one. Which it seems he didn't.

You'll also see I was not recommending that the poster give up, just correcting incorrect statements as to their rights. Asking a court for things you cannot have can be expensive.

David Douglas v Glenvarigill Company Limited [2010] is a good recent authority on rejection, although it is Scottish so some care is needed.

I believe that FV did sell some of the toxic sofas.

There is nothing "good will" about a thief having to give back the stolen money... Just theoretically.
    FV HAD TO give refund. I WOULD have gone to court with the winning chance of 100% plus solicitors costs they would have had to pay. Me going to court could also make them end up in prison for their criminal offence of obtaining money by deception.
    I had proof (and still have it) that the rubbish by-cast was marketed as real leather country-wide.
    They agreed to refund. But there is nothing "good will" about it. They were caught out shamefully, and surrendered.
    Trading Standards investigated and have forbidden FV to advertise by-cast as leather! If FV ever does it to anybody again, Trading Standards will prosecute.

Anybody scammed like that, TAKE THEM TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT. You will win 100%!!!!!!!!!!
    You will see, they will settle out of court. By "good will" if you prefer such a saying.:rotfl:
  • Lisa_Darren
    Lisa_Darren Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 7 March 2011 at 8:36PM
    Options
    I have the Scala furniture and also have the peeling of leather. I purchased it in 2006. I have contacted the store and a technician is going to call and inspect the items. Do you think I should also contact trading standards as I want to make sure I have all the available information when dealing with FV? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Also can anyone give me more information on the 2009 trading standards ruling?
  • Lisa_Darren
    Options
    Just thought I'd let everyone know what great customer service I've had from furniture village. Within a week of my phone call concerning the peeling leather on my Scala three piece suite the store had ordered me a replacement Dante suite.

It was delivered this week and I am over the moon with it.
    :j:j:j:j:j:j

I didn't have to pay any money towards the cost it was just a straight exchange. Hope this information helps someone else.
  • lornalomas
    Options
    Just thought I'd let everyone know what great customer service I've had from furniture village. Within a week of my phone call concerning the peeling leather on my Scala three piece suite the store had ordered me a replacement Dante suite.

It was delivered this week and I am over the moon with it.
    :j:j:j:j:j:j

I didn't have to pay any money towards the cost it was just a straight exchange. Hope this information helps someone else.
    can i ask what year you bought your sofa from fv as i am having trouble with them, having had the same problem
    thanks
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have exactly the same issue - with both my 2 and 3 seat Scala sofas - the corners are wearing like PVC does with discolouration where the 'leather' is wearing down and inbetween all the seat cushions we have cracking - on the main cushion which has been used the friction between the two cushions has destroyed the 'leather' - I first noticed it wasn't true leather anywhere this past weekend, where the top 'coating' was removed, revealing a very consistent black rubber surface on the top of the cushions...going to get in touch with them today me thinks...
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    interesting...first phone call got me through to someone who let something slip after I told him it was bought in November 2006 - 'ah yes sir, we changed them to real leather in 2008 in order to comply with the law in the UK'

You did WHAT?

So instantly I knew there is something amiss here.

I was then told I needed to call the store I bought from, a polite and very pleasent lady found my order and then said we have two things we usually do with these sofa's...

We either visit to completely recover the sofa (really? given the cushions are sewn to the frame this must be a VERY complex job as the whole thing would need to be replaced...)
    Or we offer a reselection process (which she quietly added would be subject to a wear and tear reduction fromt he purchase price) - e.g. they get rid of the problem and given the markup lose no money - I'd be happy to reselect, but only if its for the full amount (I would obviously spend on top)

We will see, the manager is on annual leave till Thursday, he's going to give me a call then to discuss - although given what I've heard today I would say the ball is very much in my court with this issue...

I'll keep you posted
  • bifold
    bifold Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    interesting...first phone call got me through to someone who let something slip after I told him it was bought in November 2006 - 'ah yes sir, we changed them to real leather in 2008 in order to comply with the law in the UK'

You did WHAT?

So instantly I knew there is something amiss here.

I was then told I needed to call the store I bought from, a polite and very pleasent lady found my order and then said we have two things we usually do with these sofa's...

We either visit to completely recover the sofa (really? given the cushions are sewn to the frame this must be a VERY complex job as the whole thing would need to be replaced...)
    Or we offer a reselection process (which she quietly added would be subject to a wear and tear reduction fromt he purchase price) - e.g. they get rid of the problem and given the markup lose no money - I'd be happy to reselect, but only if its for the full amount (I would obviously spend on top)

We will see, the manager is on annual leave till Thursday, he's going to give me a call then to discuss - although given what I've heard today I would say the ball is very much in my court with this issue...

I'll keep you posted
    I have a pal who works for FV as a service upholsterer,He can change all the covers on a 3 seater sofa in under 4 hours,the new covers come ready to fit.not a bad offer if you still like the style/comfort of your exsisting furniture.
  • Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you need a new sofa, I hear DFS have a sale on......
  • sirmarcus
    sirmarcus Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Options
    If you need a new sofa, I hear DFS have a sale on......

And in addition....If you get any probs, just escalate to the DFS CEO via email and you will get a free replacement together with leather care !! Mine was less than 3 years old and I have a new 5-year warranty !:j:j:j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback