Swoggi penny auction site or scam?

Options

Comments

• labradoglet
    Options
    peggy39 wrote: »
    I have also realised this is a scam as have researched the names on the bidding and the same people bid for 24+ hours constantly on Bid Robot. Not only this but they have won every item on the list and still keep bidding for the same items they have already won. There are so many repeat names that they are stooges and have automatic Bid Robots .

I am afraid I have also lost my money

I too was taken in by this scam and lost £100.
    I also noticed it was the same BidRobots winning items and quite often they would continue bidding until the cost to them in bids and final price would be way above the retail value of the item.
    The number of times two BidRobots drop out at the same time, leaving a third to win, is uncanny.
  • Northfield21
    Options
    I too fell for this scam and i am in the process of trying to get a charge back through Paypal on the basis of the Distance Selling Act. Nowhere on the website does it provide details of your right to cancel and also the email sent with confirmation of membership does not provide the details of the consumers "Right to Cancel"
    Correct me if i am wrong but these are the cornerstones of the Distance Selling Act and consumer protection.

I also looked at who charged my Paypal account and it was a company called Juniper Global and a quick check of the registrant of the website swoggi.co.uk confirms this and they are a UK registered business number 7209689. So i checked them out
    JUNIPER GLOBAL (UK) LTD
    145-157 ST JOHN STREET
    LONDON
    ENGLAND
    EC1V 4PW
    Company No. 07209689

I just wonder whether these details are the ones used to charge through Paypal if so we have a dissolved company still trading and charging consumers. I have also submitted these details to Paypal in the hope that is the case.

Of course they are now trading as
    SOPHORA MEDIA LTD
    2ND FLOOR
    145-157 ST JOHN STREET
    LONDON
    EC1V 4PY
    Company No. 07202713

Neither of the directors
    REEJA PRATHIBAN
    SUN YONG LAM
    Are based in the UK but they are based in Singapore. I would however suggest that this London address is no more than a shell just read this report website address
    ukbusinessforums dot(co)dot(uk) /threads/beware-virtual-addresses.332756/

I will keep you informed how things go.

Northfield

• Jules_1
    Options
    I got scammed yesterday! The link was from BBC news page but I was only asked for my name, email address and how I wanted to pay. I did not complete a registration page and was directed straight through to the auctions once I'd put my payment details in!

They are shysters and I am reporting them to Trading Standards as I did not tick to agree their T&C's and have lost £50.00!

Why do their auctions not stop once it reaches 0000 as they say they should. It kept flashing back to 3 minutes left! Robbers, robbers, robbers.

Feel completely victimised.

Thank you to you all for the extra details on how to report them.
  • peggy39
    peggy39 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I complained and they gave me some credits. However it is impossible to use them. Twice , when seeing the names on the BidRobot I predicted who would win and yes it was Coriace. The same names keep appearing in a bundle when the bids get high enough to push them further. There is no way that Coriace spent so much money on bidding. I cannot use up my money because it is a lost cause. You only have to go through the list of winners to see the same names appearing over and over again, If it is world wide this would be impossible
  • smiggal
    Options
    I thought I was smart but I too fell for this scam after reading a very positive article about it on Sky. I am now trying to find the author of that article. They allegedly managed to easily obtain and iPad AND an iPhone. This article on Sky.com was also clearly bullsh!t.

I wish I'd read this forum first. Swoggi have promised a refund less the £15 "admin fee". I am going to apply to my credit card company to see where I can get with them. I think this site is worse than any gambling site - they can;t suggest that you will win!
  • gerry18541
    Options
    I asked paypal to dispute the purchase. They have given me a £50 refund.

I was charged £50 from my paypal account without going through the validation of my transaction. As paypal are aware that this is a "scam" site I want a refund otherwise I will go to the OFT and ombudsman.You should block all payments to this
    site.

extrapole wrote: »
    I feel foolish to have fallen for this but cannot un-do what I have done .
    Attracted by what appeared to be a good way to get high tech goods for a bargain basement price,I became a Swoggi Member and had to buy credits in order to bid for the items I wanted .Foolishly,I bought £250 credit because I thought I might have to go that high to get my hands on the iPad I wanted .
    I started bidding and soon grew tired of having to bid constantly ,only to be outbidded at the last second .So,I decided to call it a day and cancelled my account .
    And this is when the problem started ! I asked for a refund of the money left on my now closed account and was told by their "customer service" ,the matter was now in the hands of their refund department and that I would get my money -minus- £15 for admin - within three weeks .That was on the 2nd of May and now more than three weeks later ,I still do not have the funds refunded and worse ,they do not answer my emails .
    I wonder if I am ever going to have my money back ?
    Is Swoggi a scam or a genuine online auction site ?
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Would anyone mind if these !!!!ers got burnt down? They're praying on vulnerable people who can't afford, by making them lose money by using despicable techniques like offering a free voucher then taking £50 without telling you. They're morally empty.... the definition of evil.

Burn them. I would literally be happy if they burnt down.
  • muddyville
    Options
    Hi
    I got done by swoggi as well. I saw the advert for cheap stuff on the Radio Times website, and assumed it was legit. One of the ways to get back at them would be for everyone affected to write and complain to any site like the Radio Times, who are also helping to promote this scam, and make advertising revenue from it - my letter of complaint is below. why not copy it and write to Radio Times, paypal, etc yourself...

Dear Sir/Madame
    I wish to complain most strongly about one of the advertisers that you allow to promote itself on your Radio Times TV listings website. You regularly allow ‘Swoggi’ - a penny auction site to promote itself, with a link to another site called ‘Money Expert’.

Basically these sites promote a complete ripoff scam, which must be raking a very large amount of cash. For the Radio Times site to be part of this scam is a very very poor show on your behalf.

As a respectable business I am appalled that you allow yourselves to be associated with this rip off
    and I urge you to take a long look at Swoggi - and yourselves - and think again as to wether you wish to continue to support this bunch of near criminals in their activities.

If you care to go to the proper ‘money saving expert’ site, which has a thread on these scams you will find hundreds of people complaining about the Swoggi scam.

if after reading some of these complaints you still feel it is ethical to feature this scam on the Radio Times site, I would like to hear your reasoning.

Please forward this email to someone in your organisation who has the integrity and the power to do something about this as soon as possible, and please get them to let me know what you intend to do about it.

Thank you
  • pete_1967
    pete_1967 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 April 2015 at 5:07PM
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't post links .... but bear with me.

Checkout the Swoggi "Advertorial" at the moneyexpert360 dot com site and see the very happy lady who won an ipad on the page:
    an-ipad-80-off-my-experience-on-the-auction-site-swoggi
    Very happy winner!!

oh, hang on ... quick google of the image threw up: a blog on

simplifiedsafety dot com
    "blog/2010/08/"

Seems that happy winner actually won the Ipad by signing up to the safety network ... not by bidding on Sloppi ....

Or maybe simplifiedsafety "borrowed" the winners image from Swoggi ... you decide.
  • snuggels
    Options
    Firstly in the main the testimonials that your read are in fact placed by Swoggi if you look closely in small print stating that fact. So 1/ They are out to mislead 2/The bidding cost you 50 pence per bid which can soon rack up to 100 or 200 hundred pounds plus depending on how many are bidding against you. You might give up or be the lucky bidder But really how much has it cost you in real terms to secure the item. 3/ Most of the items on Swoggi you can find on EBAY where you don't have to bid. So swoogi are not to be trusted and the choice of which site to use is obvious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure