PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Critique my house please

Options
Hi our house has been up on the market for nearly 5 weeks and only 2 viewings. The first viewers wanted it but they had a house to sell and to cut a long story short they have now decided not to sell. Plenty of hits on Zoopla etc but feedback from second viewer was they didn’t like the location but liked the house and a 3rd viewer was a no show. Getting cheesed off as we have found a house but need to sell ours. Please be honest and brutal if need be as I’m considering reducing the price but EA saying not too!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72555359.html#
Thanks

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A "deceptive family home"? Not sure I want to buy a deceptive home. Or is it the home of a deceptive family?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Flat roof, questionable colour schemes, narrow 3rd and 4th bedrooms, awkward shaped lounge/kit/diner. Sorry but nothing would appeal to me as a buyer.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • naughtyjo
    naughtyjo Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Lol I guess it does read that way thanks
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Could live with the black bathroom and the green downstairs until I changed the colours to something I liked, but for the size of the house there is no garage and what I could not live with is the opened up ground floor - straight in from the front door and see right out the other side to the rear door with nothing in between.

Lots of people like this "modern look" but I'm not one of them.

Some of the bedrooms look a bit packed as well.
  • KL0001
    KL0001 Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The flat roof would put me off, obviously there isn’t anything you can do about that. Tone down the paint in the kitchen/living room, this might get more people through the door. Personally I’d find the black bathroom tiles hard to live with, and cost a fair amount to change. Could you put a single bed in the 3rd and 4th bedrooms? As a buyer the 3rd room with the double bed looks too tight and it’s hard to imagine the 4th room as a bedroom with all the furniture.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry, but those aren't "good sized bedrooms". The kitchen diner is badly laid out - lots of wasted floorspace but insufficient kitchen cupboards. One room seems to be full of assorted bedroom furniture - presumably because the bedrooms aren't big enough to hold adequate wardrobes/drawers.
  • wishuponastar
    wishuponastar Posts: 779 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I quite like the turquoise colour of the kitchen area but I know I'm probably in the minority.

Agree with others about the 3rd and 4th bedroom seeming small/cramped and not 'good sized' as EA has written in bullets in my opinion. Also agree re the black bathroom tiles...maybe the bathroom looks better in real life possibly.

I would also like to have a garage but at least you have off street parking.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Oh dear - black bathroom (as others have said).

The kerb appeal is missing too. It's the type of front view and garden that just looks "bare" to me. I'd have to add some "greenery" personally. Admitted I dislike front gardens that have just been covered over for parking - but, even within that context, there is room to put some large plants in nice pots by the front of the house and try and make it look bit less like a car park:(, so that people can remember it is actually a garden (which there is no evidence of whatsoever at present).

Back garden is also bare-looking and rather a lot of overlooking windows. Major big planting - HUGE plants to try and soften and dim the neighbours gaze a bit too.
  • KatieDee
    KatieDee Posts: 709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 May 2018 at 6:40PM
    Options
    Being a Donny lass myself (but moving away as soon as I could) I have to say that the area would put me off. For Doncaster, the price is quite high, especially considering that it isn't a detached. If you're going to pay 150k for a house, you'd probably try and go closer to what are considered nicer areas.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/s6p/53331105 this is very near by and 20k cheaper. Yes it has one less bedroom but it's ready to move into.

Bright colours in the kitchen and dining room are off-putting. It would be lovely if it was white or magnolia though, as it's really spacious!

Mr Dee just glanced over and said "the rooms are a bit statement-y". What works for you and your family might not work for the average Joe, and it can be really hard to look past something that bold and imagine your own stamp. I imagine it'll also be a nightmare to paint over! :rotfl:

I think it's a lovely size though, and your bedrooms look lovely with the big windows. I feel terrible criticising it but I wanted to be as honest as possible. The fact it's a four bed is a definitely plus too!

I think if you were to drop the price to sub 150k, you'd get a lot more interest. It all depends on what situation you're in and whether you're able to do this, but if your EA has suggested it then I'm sure they're worth listening to.
  • naughtyjo
    naughtyjo Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    It!!!8217;s really good to see what folk get from the pictures. The kitchen units actually go much further and there are also 4 double height cupboards but they!!!8217;re not in the picture. I guess I never thought about that as I know they!!!8217;re there. The flat roof is what it is but is fibreglassed and all the houses down here are flat roofed. The room full of furniture is a valid point as they are there ready to go to a friend so I need to get on with that and show it as a single bedroom agreed. The problem I have re the colour scheme of the back room area is that it!!!8217;s the only room with colour but I was thinking of doing a light grey and changing the slats to white in the blinds? But would that suit folk? Thanks for the input
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure