Menstrual Money Saving

Options

Comments

• Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    I do have a mooncup, which worked really well for me. However, for the last 6 years I've been on the progesterone-only pill which has virtually eliminated my periods and so my cup is now languishing in the bathroom cupboard.

I've been on the Depo injection, and haven't had a period since 2008. Can't imagine going back to them :eek:.

Appreciate its not an option for women who might want to get pregnant within a year or so, but the freedom is incredible. MSE too because its obviously completely free!
  • MoonJelly
    MoonJelly Posts: 330 Forumite
    Options
    I tried using a Mooncup but the thing seemed altogether too large for me -it wouldn't go in. I tried folding it and I ended up scratching myself (not want to get too graphic). In the end I made some cloth pads (and party liners) and I'm pretty happy with them.
    ..............................................................................
    NW: [STRIKE]£5014.49[/STRIKE]/£4000/£745
    BC: £4308/£2500
    Loan: Co-op: [STRIKE]£3777.23[/STRIKE] /
    [STRIKE]£3387.23[/STRIKE]
    £2900/PAID
    Challenge: debt-free by Christmas 2017
  • jennyhunt83
    Options
    I'd like to give this a try, is there much difference between different brands that make these? Would anyone recommend one over another?
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd like to give this a try, is there much difference between different brands that make these? Would anyone recommend one over another?

The brands are more about different sizes - they all call them "small" or "large" but this varies between brands. They have different diameters and lengths, which then does lead to different capacities. If you have a heavy flow you might be tempted to get a larger cup but it might not fit you more.

I think the most important thing is to figure out where your cervix is. This might seem a bit icky, but the whole subject can seem like that! Your cervix will feel like a lumpy bit at the top of your vagina - some people can't touch theirs as it's quite high up, and others reach it easily. Both are normal, it's just different. I have a low cervix so needed a shorter cup and found that the MoonCup was too long for me. I loved the old style MeLuna, but they have changed it since and the new one isn't as good. I now use a Lady Cup.

Cups also differ in firmness. A stiffer cup is supposed to be better if you have strong muscles but I have no idea how you'd test that. A firm cup is also better for doing sports.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a mooncup. I love it, when I have periods, which coz of my pill isn't often. Have to say being on the minipill cerazette is defintiely the cheapest form of menstrual moneysaving! No periods at all!
  • Newme2014
    Options
    I got mine today, one problem I'm having, and apologies if this is tmi but once it's in I can't seem to rotate it, I just can't get my thumb and finger around the base without scratching myself, Even though I keep my nails quite short. I'm guessing it was sat right today as I had no leakage but I'm wondering if you veteran users have any tips
    Mortgage started 02/2015 opening balance -£183,349
    Due to end 02/2045
    Current balance 14/12/15 -£178,000
    MFW #48 £2395.25/£5000
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    MoonJelly wrote: »
    I tried using a Mooncup but the thing seemed altogether too large for me -it wouldn't go in. I tried folding it and I ended up scratching myself (not want to get too graphic). In the end I made some cloth pads (and party liners) and I'm pretty happy with them.
    There are two different sizes I think. And you're also meant to cut the stem off.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    I use a femmecup and I love it, definitely the best buy ever.

I was unsure about the sizes of the mooncup as to which one would be best for me so that was my reason for opting for the femmecup.

I have no problems with the stem or anything like that, I haven't needed to cut it and I don't feel it at all.

I do seem to have heavy periods but I wondered what amount people lose per cycle? I lose about 75mls on day 1, 40mls on day 2 and another 40mls on day 3 before it slows down to 5-10mls per day following that.

The only thing I have noticed is that at night or when I'm in the lying position on my first 3 heavy days that I leak quite bad. I have to wear extra protection (home made pads) and i literally dash to the toilet as soon as I stand up otherwise a lot comes out. I've also noticed some leakage when I am sitting. When I empty it after leakage, the cup can be anything between 1/4 full (if I've been lying down for a short time) to full.

Is this usual with all cups? I've read that different positions can sometimes cause the muscles to squash the cup etc and result in leakage but I wondered if anyone had any advice as to if they have had a similar problem with heavy flow and changed cups and noticed a difference?

Overall though I'd still definitely recommend cups and I wouldn't go back.
  • Kitty777
    Options
    I have been considering these for a while now, but it has just been quite daunting. Tampons are very uncomfortable for me, and whenever I have used them I have always 'felt' them...and I am aware they are there. Is this the case with the mooncup? I use pads right now as they feel more safe and secure without the discomfort that tampons bring.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    Hi Kitty777,

I can't speak for the mooncup but I use a femmecup and I don't feel it at all when it's in the right place. I didn't need to cut my stem either, as some have suggested to do, but as others have said it depends on where the cervix sits and everyone is different.

Having been a previous tampon user, I never felt tampons either when they were in.

Can I suggest to try to push the tampon higher than you are doing, as you shouldn't feel them once in place. From experience the only times I felt them inside were if they weren't pushed high enough.

Also remember to use the right tampon size according to flow as if you use one that is too large for your flow it can dry you out down there and that may prevent you from being able to push it up higher (if you understand what I mean).

Obviously I would definitely recommend menstrual cups even though they can take a bit of getting used to in the beginning, but I love mine and wouldn't go back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure