What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 21st May?

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:
DF as at 30/12/16
Womblng 2020:
NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    Options
    Morning guys :) thought I'd start us off as pottering around already!

Working for the next 4 days :( 8-8 shifts seem hard at this point!

Dawn I hope you're recovering well x

spudsmum I'm really jel of your DI skills! Oh and I are helpless, but I am so tight I don't want to spend cash on getting people in. It's a terrible mix!

Today:

* take food for work - got a portion of batch made potato & leek soup out of freezer, will take fruit for snacks
    * make madam's lunch
    * hang out washing before work and ask oh to get it in
    * print out some wombled APGs :money: about £3.50 of free money :D
    * use said vouchers to pick up a few bits on way home :T
    * check onepoll if I have time
    * work hard, put my head down at work....
    * if not exhausted by the time I get home I want to start spring cleaning the kitchen

That's all! Happy new week people :)
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Morning all :)

I'm making my OH lunch with a bit of salmon, salad and French bread left over from our BBQ yesterday (I'm at home today so I'll eat left overs too)

Aiming to not spend any money

Checked our bank and updated my freezer inventory after yesterday

The sun is shining and I'm aiming to be out in the garden once I've done the cleaning - happy bunny :)
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all :hello:

Hope work doesn't seem too long determined hope you're feeling ok Dawn

My list for today:
    Potion a side of salmon and some mince I got from the wholesalers yesterday
    Make something for tea
    Freeze some turkey meatballs I cooked on Saturday. Must portion them up first
    Make lunches for next few days and tea for tomorrow night as didn't do this yesterday
    Go for a run (ideally outside before it gets too warm)
    Small to prepaid swimming lessons tonight
    Check dress I want to wear at the weekend to an event and make sure it is ok
    Paint toes. Did the rest of pedicure yesterday, just not that bit :rotfl: it's slow progress!
    Check banking, update sheet
    Balance just for points cc
    Messaged man about boiler service at rental

Just having a coffee before I start the day.....
  • allthe7s
    allthe7s Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Lovely day so I am going to walk DS to school and leave the car at home.

A friend is visiting and bringing me £4 for something I bought for her.

Going to hang washing out on line and wash another load at 30 degrees

Both kids on packed lunch on a Monday

Will go to visit family member over lunch time so eat there.

Taking a ready meal out of the freezer to avoid spends at work later.

Aiming for a NSD other than DS £2 bus money which I pay every day and is budgeted for.
    Preparing to go bankrupt April 2020
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MONEY MAKING AND SAVING SITES AS OFTEN MENTIONED IN THIS FORUM:

• Benefits check-up (Link)
    • Coupon Shop Forum list of money-off coupons (Link)
    • Cooking On A Bootstrap, cheap recipes. (Link)
    • eBid (Link)
    • Freecycle (Link)
    • Freegle (Link)
    • Free Postcode Lottery( Link )
    • FreeStuff (Link)
    • FreeUKStuff ( Link )
    • Income Tax Calculator (Link)
    • i-Say Surveys (Link)
    • Jobseekers Railcard (Link)
    • List of online newspapers. At bottom of the linked page. (Link)
    • LuckyPhone free lottery with loyalty rewards (Link)
    • Marriage Tax Allowance (Link)
    • Martin Lewis' Weekly List of Deals and Tips (Link)
    • MSE Bank Charges Comparison Tool (Link)
    • MSE Boost Your Income page. Gateway to lots of money-making links. (Link)
    • MSE Budget Planner (Link)
    • MSE Abbreviations Explained (Link)
    • MSE Deals and Vouchers (Link)
    • MSE Demotivator Tool (Link)
    • MSE Credit Card Minimum Repayment Calculator (Link)
    • MSE Money Makover (Link)
    • MSE Piggybank Budgeting (Link)
    • MSE Stoozing Guide (Link)
    • MSE Wow Offers (Link)
    • NHS Minor Ailment Service article (Link)
    • My Supermarket (Link)
    • Number Plate Lotto (Link)
    • OnePoll (Link)
    • Quidco (Link)
    • Reclaim PPI at no cost to yourself without using a claims company. (Link)
    • Reclaim Packaged Bank Account fees at no cost to yourself without using a claims company.(Link)
    • Reclaim phone credit (Link)
    • Resolver tool. Helps you draft a letter, send it, monitor replies and then escalate it to an Ombudsman or key complaint body if it's not sorted. (Link)
    • SayNoTo0870 cheap phone number finder (Link)
    • Start Rescue Breakdown Cover (Link)
    • Super Saver Amazon Delivery Tool (Link)
    • Survey sites that pay for your opinions (Link)
    • Swagbucks (Link)
    • Swapit (Link)
    • Tickety Split cheap train tickets (Link)
    • Toluna (Link)
    • TopCashBack (Link)
    • Wombling Guide (Link)
    • You Need A Budget site and App (Link)

If any of the links are broken, let me know.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • allydowd
    edited 21 May 2018 at 2:21PM
    Options
    Hi May Moneysavers,

It's my weekend and I was up at 6am in the kitchen.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Work very hard on my own mental health. Do Holistrio App.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.
    Done.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically. Done.

* Go to storage facility and get mower out of storage.

* Tackle garden with gusto. It has been untouched since September. :o :eek: :(

* Made 6 portions of parsnip soup using 63p YS parsnips and frozen watercress.

* Homemade waffles for breakfast.

* Got a refund on something.

* Blitzed walk in storage cupboard.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning Frugalistas,
    I have to wait in for a parcel delivery today, so was outside at 6.45 watering the greenhouse veggies before making a start on my indoor job list. On the list today:
    *Update budgets & pay grocery shop money off CC (only used for loyalty points for vouchers)
    *Used a £5 Body Shop voucher to order a product I have been looking to replace for a while, but have been waiting for just such a voucher to reduce the cost.
    *Overnight laundry & a quick 30 mins at 30 deg load drying outside on the line.
    *Freezer dive for tonight's meal - leftover portion of spag bol for me, mr f is concocting an Epic Man Stew. And judging by all the containers which have come out of the freezer, I think it's going to be TRULY epic!
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch & work snacks.
    *Bake a loaf & a batch of bread rolls.
    *Possibly bake a batch of mini-muffins using some of our rhubarb & ginger, although this will depend on parcel arriving in good time. Our garden is long & if I go right to the end of it to pick rhubarb, you can guarantee that when I get back in, the delivery man will have turned up in that 3-minute window. They don't wait very long. In fact, the last one who delivered a parcel we'd ordered didn't wait at all! He knocked at the door. I was very close by so opened the door very promptly & he was already back down the drive typing something in his little handheld gizmo, presumably that we were out! I called him back & pointed out that I had come to the door immediately but that NOBODY can get there in the one nano-second he had allowed. I know they are on impossibly tight schedules, but that's just ridiculous!
    *Write a letter.......not particularly money-saving, except that a 2nd class stamp will be a lot cheaper than a long phone call.
    *Continue crocheting my hand knitted throw together. All the little squares are now joined into bigger squares & just need arranging so that I don't end up with two identical ones together then crocheting into strips, then finally, I can join those, crochet around the edge of the whole thing & it can be put away for autumn.
    *Hoover up all the dead cherry blossom which has been trailed into the house. Will do when delivery has come or won't hear the door.
    I am so fancying a caffiene top-up now, so will go & put the kettle on.
    Hope you are doing ok, Dawn, if you are reading this.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all :)

Today I am mostly going to be feeling nervous about my horse being vetted tomorrow - I've got a really good five figure offer for him, the buyers are very serious as they have put £2k in my bank as a deposit. Whether he sells or not makes a very big difference to the next phase of our plan! It means our debts will be cleared so much quicker as we intend to use all the money for that.

So other than that....today I am;

- Making a chicken pie for lunch, using up all the older veggies in the fridge.
    - Setting up sealed pots for everyone in the house.
    - Get a bigger pot for my herbs to sit in my kitchen - have basil and thyme plants on the go at the mo
    - Contents renewal notice has come in, check prices
    - Call Barclaycard to see if I can extend my 0% period. If not, I have my new Nationwide card to transfer it on to

Once I know the status quo after tomorrow, I have a busy week of getting together our five year home owning plan!!!

Have a great and frugal week everyone! x
  • spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 21 May 2018 at 12:31PM
    Options

spudsmum I'm really jel of your DI skills! Oh and I are helpless, but I am so tight I don't want to spend cash on getting people in. It's a terrible mix!

)

Thanks DNMS my husband is the same - in fact he's worse, bordering on dangerous and currently banned from approaching within 6 feet of any kind of tool so I've taught myself out of pure necessity really. His parents are the same - can hardly change a lightbulb, spend a fortune on tradesmen but are absolutely horrified at some of the stuff i get up to :rotfl: I started quite small but definitely getting more ambitious as needs must - the only thing i wont touch is major electrics or gas - definitely best left to professionals! Last year I built a raised deck in the garden, laid astroturf and built raised beds for my veggies I also fix our cars where I can - mostly by watching instructional videos on youtube - theres some fab stuff on there! My stepdad and FIL both say that girls are no good at practical stuff - gives me enormous pleasure to constantly prove them wrong!

Not much to report here today - working from home and got a few bits to finish off as I'm off next week and going away - nowt exciting just 5 days in a caravan at seaside but it away.

MSE stuff today

:A watered veggies using rain water from water butt
    :A got cheapo Mr M lamb in slow cooker for tea tonight
    :A cashed out £3 on surveys
    :A receipts uploaded to shoppix and cashback claims submitted on shopmium
    :A 30p roadkill found in washbasket
    :A weekly spreadsheet updated
    :A more surveys attempted
    :A writing list for next weeks holiday food shop for caravan allowing a few treats but still sticking to a budget
    :A writing list gor Mr M shop for when we come home - using £15 discount code
    :A writing packing list to make sure we have everything we need and try to source cheaply anything we dont!

Think thats it for now.
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • allydowd
    edited 21 May 2018 at 2:32PM
    Options
    allydowd wrote: »

* Tackle garden with gusto. It has been untouched since September. :o :eek: :(

Oh Great Smurf: I'm exhausted! DW mowed the lawn, having to empty the mower hopper 20 times. :eek:

I weeded.

The garden is awash with colour: all sorts of (unknown) flowers and lots of rhubarb all of which have been inherited from the previous tenant. The apple tree and various plants we moved from our last house have nearly all survived.

DW has lots of seeds I bought her at Decemberfest and is planning on filling the mini greenhoose with edible stuff.

We sat out on the bench until the rain came on.

All we've spent so far is £40 on a cable to get power down from our flat to the garden for the mower.

Didn't shower til after the gardening to save having to shower twice.

Really happy right now. :j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure