What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 21st May?

Options

Comments

• Lottebear
    Lottebear Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All,

The last few weeks have been busy and very costly so I need to regain my focus and reign things in again.

- Dishwasher broke down £100 for repair, it cheaper than a new one and had some good advice about not using tablets which is therefore cheaper. But still an unexpected bill.
    - Cooked at home and meal planned.
    - Top up shops from A!di whilst daughter has been at dancing. I will do the same today as I need a bag of shopping
    - Massive to do list of jobs including tax credit return and tax return :eek:
    - Saving on childcare as DD is going on hols with my Mum :T
    - Renewed English Heritage pass in part with clubcard points, still some to pay but we have used it loads in the last year.

- I'm in a good place for the rest of the year, in terms of bigger and planned for expenses have been covered, holiday mostly paid for, tickets for events have been purchased, birthday gifts bought so really it just keeping a watchful eye on the day to day budget.
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Morning :)

Frugal day here too, as although I was paid yesterday, it's normally the 28th and I don't want to star eating into next month's money.

I did spend £1.29 on some seeds, but I'm aiming for that to be my only spend today

I'll be gardening and cooking, going to get ahead with some meals for next week's tea and I need to make some more humous
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 May 2018 at 9:21PM
    Options
    Morning all :)

Goodness Lottebear, you had an early start! I have tax returns to do too, both for me and for OH :( Can't face them atm, but they are always at the back of my mind, so will be glad once they are done!

Not sure if it is just me, but May seems to have raced past :eek: Hope everyone has a lovely BH weekend, although the weather isn't great, at least here. Normally we would spend this BH at a family festival thing, but the timing of my op, and the complications arising from it, have ruled that out for this year. I am not disappointed by this, as there is always a lot of pressure to go, and to be honest it isn't really my thing :o especially when it is pouring with rain :eek:

Anyway, today's list, very modest due to continued light duties:

Check banks and update spreadsheet Done
    Load of washing, hope to dry it on the line outside, but the weather isn't looking promising :(Weather cleared, at least long enough to dry the washing :)
    Patch jeans Not done - hate sewing :o In fairness I can't wear jeans atm due to the holes in tummy, so not urgent.
    HM minestrone for lunch Done
    Fish gratins from remaining fish pie filling made yesterday for dinner Had these with Jersey Royal potatoes from Lidls and the last of the HG Tuscan kale :)
    Ironing :(Done, OH did some, and I did some :j
    House is looking a bit the worse for wear, but I shall have to avert my eyes as I can't do hoovering and mopping floors atm :cool: OH did the kitchen floor, so that at least looks better :)
    Might end up looking at the dreaded tax stuff! Started to get together some of the information I know I will need in order to do them.

Watered rocket seedlings (the only ones that needed it)

Just sold an ebay item :)
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all :hello:

Hope everyone is ok and enjoying the bh weekend. Weather looks grim later and we're off to a bbq, hmm. Will take a bottle of fizz I got on a meal for £10 promo at m&s.

Other things today:
    Book airport parking
    Get info together for mortgage and send off
    Small to prepaid swimming lesson
    Get food eating back on track, yesterday wasn't great
    Meal plan this week, shouldn't need a shop see if I can complete freezer inventory at same time, definitely shopping from Home this week
    Get a couple of things up in the loft
    Quick tidy round, nice not to have to get ready for Monday
    Watch a film with smalls tonight at home
    Make mouse for pudding white water from kettle from morning cuppa
    Get something out of freezer for tea

Have a good day everyone. Purps.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone
    Weather warm but it's very dark, expecting a thunderstorm
    Been up early but not really done anything except read newspaper and drink tea.
    All the cats have gone back to bed except for one who is happily trashing the house. She s just broken a t-light holder I had washed ready to put into my link to hope Christmas shoeboxes. Didn't spend especially on it, it was a glass ramakin left over from puddings I bought on a special (an idea from another poster ).Looks like I will be forced to have to buy more to eat just for the glass ramakins:D
    Picked up the bits but don't want to Hoover yet as haven't heard any movement from next door, the walls are thin to say the least:(
    Went to a sporting event and caught up on friends yesterday, it was lovely
    Just about to start cat cleaning, really gave it a good clean and disinfect on Friday and it has been trashed.
    Meals out of the freezer for today.
    No real plans for today so I might do the painting I have been putting off and write letter to friend.
    Have to attend a course on Tuesday so nice to have tomorrow off
    Great buy with the fish purps I love a bargain:T
    Have a big pay out coming from quidco of nearly £100 so that will be going into the decorating fund
    Have a great BHweekend everyone x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Morning guys :D Just on my way out to the allotment. I've really neglected it so far this year :( the weather just hasn't played ball with my work schedule! But hoping as I'm off for a week I can go early before oh goes to work :)

small things for today:

* washing in. will hang up when back
    * flylady madam's bedroom and the bathroom - am doing a major clean at the moment! did half of the kitchen yesterday and it took hours!
    * thinking about having a BBQ with the outlaws but that might not be till tomorrow. Will need a few bits if we do
    * photo and list a few things on fleabay
    * start a sewing project - have a couple of things I want to do
    * hardening off a few things I want to plant this week

Ok that'll do! Happy Sunday :D
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 May 2018 at 3:45PM
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    *Sort laundry thoroughly & only iron what needs it. Some stuff is fine if it goes straight on a hanger but looks like a dishrag if it's done 3 days scrunched in the bottom of the ironing basket.

Ironing?! Oh foxgloves you are funny :rotfl:

But yep in all seriousness, I iron a garment about twice a year :o

Good tips though thanks :). The one about the hot water bottle is good. Our living room is big and the radiator is on the wall furthest from the couch and closest to the stairs so all the heat goes up the stairs. We have couch blankies but a hot water bottle would help too.

Another annoying thing about the LR is that it faces east and has small windows so gets too dark for me to crochet in the afternoon/evening without putting the lights on (there are 8 on the same switch!!). They all have low energy bulbs though. I do have a lamp but it's not really right for the amount of light I need.

I think we are doing the obvious ones... I'm better than OH. I will turn things off 90-95% of the time. OH more like 50-60%. I also don't watch much telly but OH def has it on in the background for company.

I don't like baths but OH is part hippo. I would not be able to get him to have less water. He fills it FULL. Having said that, the water is gas heated and the gas bill isn't bad. It's more the leccy.

I think that the kitchen lights can be swapped for more energy efficient ones as they are halogen ones. I'll do that when they ping.

So essentially, my most energy saving step would be to divorce :rotfl:
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • carrielovesfanta
    edited 27 May 2018 at 5:04PM
    Options
    Better post a listy I think.

Been a bust day but I was expecting a poop storm after some comments were made at the weekend but actually it was no biggie. Slightly annoyed at the mental energy that was used up worrying about this. Although, I distracted myself with a beer in the garden and a volume of Michael Palin's diaries.
    • B/L/D from stores.
    • Gym at "lunchtime" (actually 10.30 - 11.30). Been doing my movement assessments for this new training and it's highlighted exactly why it's a good idea. - done
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Prep tomorrow's lunches
    • Electricals OFF!
    • Put a couple of bits of clothing away
    • Message freeglers. Annoyingly 4 messaged me while I was away and now none are replying! - done
    • Reconcile budget sheet
    • Water plants
    • Knit sock
    • No alcohol
    • Early to bed. Am working tomorrow but will get a day in lieu
    Have a good one all

clf x
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,122 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Lol, CLF - I too am married to a hippo! We do save some energy by sharing bath water when we can. It hasn't worked out so well for him today, as I baggsied first bath, knowing he's spent all day stoking a bonfire.......but I've been doing pond maintenance & he's complaining that there was actual pondweed floating in the bath when I got out!
    Hugely busy garden day. No spending so far, though we are going to get some ice cream to use up the liqueur fruit in the freezer, which I saved when I bottled the blackberry whisky & pear & blackberry vodka. That's all though.
    Just going to update my dfw diary, then time to put my feet up (it's not my cooking night!) & read my book.
    Have a nice evening all,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    Lol, CLF - I too am married to a hippo! We do save some energy by sharing bath water when we can. It hasn't worked out so well for him today, as I baggsied first bath, knowing he's spent all day stoking a bonfire.......but I've been doing pond maintenance & he's complaining that there was actual pondweed floating in the bath when I got out!
    Hugely busy garden day. No spending so far, though we are going to get some ice cream to use up the liqueur fruit in the freezer, which I saved when I bottled the blackberry whisky & pear & blackberry vodka. That's all though.
    Just going to update my dfw diary, then time to put my feet up (it's not my cooking night!) & read my book.
    Have a nice evening all,
    F x

On the rare occasion that I do have a bath (last one was 2017... last one previous to that was June 2010!) I relinquish the water to OH. I tried to give him a relaxing herbal bath once and collected bay, rosemary, lavender and thyme from the garden. He was not impressed with the amount of nature inflicted upon him :rotfl:

PS: I would like to add that I do wash and shower!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts