What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 21st May?

Options

Comments

• carrielovesfanta
    Options
    1LuckyLady wrote: »
    * wash a load on the quick 30 degree wash :) - CLF washes my gym kit fine ;)

Cheers 1LL. Hopefully will work for my sweaty so-and-so of a OH ;)
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thinking of electricity saving - can we brainstorm some tips? I'm doing the obvious ones (I think!) but maybe there's some I missed?
  • spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, hope you're all well and enjoying hump day.

Dawn pleased to hear you are home and on the mend.

Been working from home again today only half day on a Wednesday and not a great deal going on as we're away next week so just trying to finish off a few bits.

MSE stuff today

:A pit another Mr M order in to use £15 off voucher - got loads of bulk stuff like baby wipes and bottles of pop as know they will get used- als a few more bits of meat for the freezer.
    :A watered veggies with rainwater from water butt
    :A tea tonight will be leftover lamb casserole I slow cooked on Mon - any stop left will be frozen
    :A roasted off full bag of 10p ys baking spuds that were sprouting - some for tea and kids will polish those off through the week
    :A looked up things I can use my clubcard vouchers on before the 4x deal finishes - thinking some kind of day out for over summer holiday
    :A accepted a dozen eggs from my mums hens so fried egg sandwiches all round for lunch!
    :A got kids sandpit out and gave them some old margarine tubs etc to use for sand castles - they were happy and saves on buying expensive toys.
    :A done a few surveys
    :A and the big one - finally heard back from C1 about my PPI complaint - wasn't even going to bother as it's about 15 years since I had the card and it only had a £500 limit but after being on here I decided I had nowt to lose - they've upheld my complaint and sending me a cheque for £1384.59!!! :T just need to decide which pot to allocate it to now.

Think that's about all
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    That's amazing spudsmum!
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,123 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    CLF - agree with all 1LL's savings. I can add:
    *Only boil enough water in the kettle for the amount of drinks you are making. If there IS still extra in the kettle, pour into flask for next coffee as it'll boil up much quicker.
    *Don't leave the TV on for 'background'. If nobody's watching it.....& that's PROPERLY watching it in an engaged manner without looking at Facebook etc on phones, then switch it off.
    *Sort laundry thoroughly & only iron what needs it. Some stuff is fine if it goes straight on a hanger but looks like a dishrag if it's done 3 days scrunched in the bottom of the ironing basket.
    *Use cold water for little jobs where it's perfectly adequate.
    *Make good use of oven. If you have a loaf of bread or cottage pie in there, bake a tray of muffins using 'free' heat.
    *Remember that a slow cooker on low setting uses only as much energy as a light bulb.
    *Hot water bottle (in a fab crochet cover?) tucked up behind your back on chilly evenings instead of being tempted to crank the heating up.
    *Have a few centimetres less bath water.
    *Use up bits & bobs & turn off fridge while you're on holiday. This was common practice for my parents' generation.
    *Lights. Switch off. Mr f used to be terrible for having every upstairs light on because he was 'multi-tasking' despite it being impossible to be in 3 rooms & a landing simultaneously.
    *I have a long-handled dustpan & brush which is great for a quick sweep up rather than plugging in the vacuum cleaner every couple of days.
    Cheers,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,123 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Money Savers,
    Purple Fairy - thanks for the encouragement. Yes, Big Frog day! Cat 'helped' in his own special way by hacking up a particularly rancid furball on an upstairs carpet just as we were due to leave. Appointment much easier than I thought (though of course we haven't seen the solicitor's bill yet!) Among other legal things which needed doing concerning an entailment on our property, we have officially removed a key beneficiary who has made it quite clear that she thinks mr f & I are a massive pile of poo. So on that basis, we figured she won't want to inherit any of our poohy money!
    Apart from solicitors.....
    *Other errands done on my bike, so free exercise.
    *Sorted clean laundry & only 3 items required ironing, which I call a result!
    *Picked a bunch of sorrel & made sone soup for the freezer.
    *Mixed up a sourdough for baking tomorrow.
    *Free cakes in Waitrose.
    *Knit B-in-L's sock - lovely self-patterning yarn.
    *Posh ys cordial from Waitrose - 99p a bottle. Will last me ages as I like very diluted squash/cordial.
    *Watered veggie garden.
    And I think that's my lot.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Glad the appointment went well foxglovesit must be a relief to get it sorted. I'd just work on the premise that what ever the bill is, it's a small price to pay to ensure some not very nice person won't get your hard earn dosh in the future;)

My list for today:
    I've taken a days leave as I have a few jobs I want to do and use up some leave whilst the weathers nice
    Go for my first ever 10km run :eek:
    Pop to town and get a small gift from a shop that was shut the other day when I went in. Park for free. See if there is any barginous fruit on the market
    Get some stuff up in the loft
    If I have time, start stripping some wall paper in the spare room
    Get something out of freezer for tea
    Triage fridge
    Make some bread rolls for hotdogs for smalls
    Quick vacuum round
    Do some research on a couple of things whilst I'm not too tired to concentrate on them
    Walk later with a friend

Enjoy your day everyone.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 May 2018 at 8:13PM
    Options
    Morning all :)
    Raining today, so not sure if gardening will be on the cards :( I did manage, with OH's help, to get the French beans, some stray broad beans and 3 tomato plants out yesterday, and was hoping to get the rest of the tomatoes out today. We will see what it is like later!

Up early, and a few things done already:
    Loaf in BM

Used half an elderly apple for breakfast fruit (will have the other half tomorrow)
    Printed out some business paperwork using some of the reams of paper supplied by RM surveys :)

Sold an ebay item and relisted some of the ones that expired while I was in hospital :)

Still to do:
    Make minestrone for lunch Done
    Make a lemon drizzle cake with forgotten about lemons :oDone
    Make coleslaw with half a lurking small white cabbage Not done

Plant tomatoes if it stops raining Nor this :(
    Pack ebay item Wrapped, now need to find a suitable box. Will don wellies (still raining) and go down to garage in a minute

Patch jeans Not done
    Start a shopping list (but hope there isn't anything OH can't live without so we don't have to go today) In progress
    Read meters and enter readings on energy company's web site Not done
    Some paperwork for business Nor this :(

Raining quite hard now, so it looks like an indoor day, or at least an indoor morning!

Not feeling so good today. Ran out of steam after lunch and had to go to bed for a couple of hours :( Hope I can sleep tonight!
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thinking of electricity saving - can we brainstorm some tips? I'm doing the obvious ones (I think!) but maybe there's some I missed?

Turn off microwave at the wall. Do not leave it switched on to power the clock.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    edited 24 May 2018 at 11:40AM
    Options
    At the moment we've got a little under-counter fridge in the kitchen and we've got an upright freezer and a fridge freezer in the garage, they are both very old and probably terrible with electricity usage. We used to need them both when the kids were little, but now I want to get rid of the fridge freezer. The fridge bit of it is mainly full of vegetables so I want to get an old fashioned veg rack on the wall instead.

I've got to grips with what's in the freezers and we're working our way through it, and I'm doing the same with the fridge, loads of nearly empty jars of jam, pickle, mustard, etc, aiming to use most of it then make the change over.

We used £105 gas and electricity (mainly electricity) in the last month and I've been trying to cut down so I'm gutted, and I think that the extra appliance can't be helping :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure