5p bag charge - your views

Options
1717273747577»

Comments

• paul2louise
    Options
    A couple of supermarkets had them - Sainsburys and another. You can reuse the bags but can't exchange then when fall.to bits as it was a free bag.

I did a Christmas food ordering with Sainsburys and I got two food ordering bags. One of them, mum put all the turkey packaging etc and threw it straight into the bin

Is that what they are called "food ordering bags". I might ask asda when I am next in shopping what there thoughts are. I will be shopping at another asda on Friday and might see what there policy is for this kind of thing
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you need to remember that even if the law permits them to give a bag without charging in certain circumstances, it does not require them to give a free bag. They are entitled to charge whatever they want for any kind of bag. If a supermarket wanted to charge £25 for the flimsy little bags the veg goes in, this would not be unlawful, although they may find they don't have many customers.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is that what they are called "food ordering bags". I might ask asda when I am next in shopping what there thoughts are. I will be shopping at another asda on Friday and might see what there policy is for this kind of thing

They are the food ordering bags. The Sainsburys near me must had a surplus to give them to customers buying turkeys from the chiller

I know from my regular two Sainsburys colleagues that talk to me both in my shop and theirs and a friend that works for a store 60-70 miles away said they had about two dozen lines sold out, compared with one or two last year. Perhaps it was these free food ordering bags that caused this. :rotfl:. Think about 40% more orders

The food ordering bags this year were the same shade of orange as the 5p carrier bags with a white loop handle. With Food Ordering on the side. About a third wider than their stronger bags for life.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I might ask asda when I am next in shopping what there thoughts are. I will be shopping at another asda on Friday and might see what there policy is for this kind of thing

You want to spend 10mins trying to establish this, all for the sake of 5p?

You could employ a policy of 'Be Prepared' when you go shopping next ....
  • badgerhead
    Options
    When I think about all the plastic bags I used to use to remove my shopping from the trolley into my boot. Then to carry it from my driveway all of about 10 metres to my kitchen.
    The shops should make and issue just like bags for life, hard plastic (Recycled) containers that fit in the trolley. You could separate your items accordingly, easily transfer to/from car.

You could even put in a one of them freezer block things you used to use on picnics to keep it cool.

These boxes would then all fit in each other when not in use. That would cut down on a lot of bags.

Not suggesting if you would use these if you go to Asda on the number 22 bus, walk or have a smart car
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    People forget the days of Kwiksave where you had to pay for every bag. They gave out little bags for meat etc and you either liked it or lumped it or paid for another full size carrier bag.

Now everyone demands that they get a full carrier for this and full carrier for that just to make themselves feel smug at trying to beat the system.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    badgerhead wrote: »
    When I think about all the plastic bags I used to use to remove my shopping from the trolley into my boot. Then to carry it from my driveway all of about 10 metres to my kitchen.
    The shops should make and issue just like bags for life, hard plastic (Recycled) containers that fit in the trolley. You could separate your items accordingly, easily transfer to/from car.

You could even put in a one of them freezer block things you used to use on picnics to keep it cool.

These boxes would then all fit in each other when not in use. That would cut down on a lot of bags.

Not suggesting if you would use these if you go to Asda on the number 22 bus, walk or have a smart car

I use NotBox http://www.notbox.co.uk/trolly-pack.html

Put them inside a large jute bag we got from Tesco to carry them round the store. Even better in a store with self-scan handsets as can pack direct into the boxes.

Although I remember 20 years ago when Safeway had self-scan and had GreenBox boxes and special trolleys they fitted into. $_86.JPG
  • redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    affiliate links are not permitted on MSE (please read the forum rule). If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

If you copy the link from elsewhere please check it isn't an affiliate link before posting. Please only post direct clean links to the product or site where the product can be found. Thanks.

posts containing affiliate links have been removed.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    People forget the days of Kwiksave where you had to pay for every bag. They gave out little bags for meat etc and you either liked it or lumped it or paid for another full size carrier bag.

Now everyone demands that they get a full carrier for this and full carrier for that just to make themselves feel smug at trying to beat the system.
    I don't.

I have a range of bags, some that fold up pretty small - 5" x 4" - and are reasonably strong and come in nice designs that I keep for clothes I buy and some 10p bag for life ones for general shopping.

You can demand a carrier but in most shops you'll be charged for a single use bag so I can't see why that would make you feel smug.
    How is that 'beating the system'?

If I had to pay 5p I'd feel like a mug, not smug.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure