PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• shell2001
    shell2001 Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    Options
    Please put me down for £425.

This is for Me, DH, DD (8), DD (6) and dog, it includes food, toiletries, dog stuff, cleaning stuff and takeaways.

I came in on budget for January so that was good. This month is shorter and we go away to Disneyland Paris for a week but am hoping to have enough left in the budget to pay for the woofs kennel costs!

Have been very good today as hubbie fancied fish n chips, managed to talk him into 10 value noodles instead:rotfl:, almost £10 saved there;).
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Just done the first shop of February and spent £40.02 in Mr S and £6 in Wilkos (cheaper shampoo and toilet roll there).
    I did have a budget of £50 so I'm within budget for the first time in ages:j.
    We don't need anything else until next weekend so I'm a happy chappy! Need to really economise as I've had a few unexpected expenses in January - a funeral needing flowers, lots of extra petrol and visits to relatives - all necessary but financially draining:(.

2 weeks to pay day - seems like two years!
  • Sparklyfairy
    Options
    :wave: Hi all - right now I'm serious about this challenge (Jan & I didn't get on at all for some reason!). Please put me down for £188 for February....approx £47/week - not £45 (actual aim) & not £50...we have loads in & menu planning has to be a must as always..

I had a quick look at Black-Saturn's menu planner (remember her?!) & made her peach cobbler (so so easy) I can't recommend her menu planner enough, it's just a shame that thread got heated otherwise I would have "bumped" it up!

So, I went to A£di today & spent £17(ish) which will be from my Feb budget..will update my signature now.

Have a great week, all!;)
  • RachelS
    RachelS Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't join last month as it was my first month budgeting and I was afraid I wouldn't manage it. However...fanfare...from a previous average monthly spend of around £600 :eek:, we had a budget of £260 for the 4 of us and 2 cats...and came in at £265 after an appalling takeaway pizza splurge last night!

I am well chuffed with it...going to take the extra £5 out of next month's budget AND cut down as, I was shocked to realise, there is LOADS of leeway in that budget.

So my target for shopping for Feb will be...drum roll...£250.

Looking forward to joining you all.
  • ma-ri-ella
    Options
    put me down for £25 please - i think i only need milk and vanilla extract :P
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
    20,000 step a day challenge
  • Bethfly
    Bethfly Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all. I'm a newbie.
    Please could i be put down for a monthly budget of £100 please.

This is hopefully including all food and toiletries for me, DH, DS(4), and DD(2) and a kitty.
    I have been very good and done a meal plan for the month, including Valentine's dinner and DS birthday party!! Going to attempt to do a big shop to last the month then use the rest for any fresh food or emergencies. Here's hoping.

Thanks everyone for this thread it helps so much :)
    Jan NSD 3/31
    Feb NSD 4/28
    Feb GC £95/£100
    Proud wife and mummy to 2 trying to keep the house together
    and tackle the debt mountain!!!
  • destroyerofdebt2011
    Options
    Hi Newbie here for this challenge

Since its just me and a nutty spaniel can you kind people please add me for £40.00 /February (it is only 28 days long afterall)

Trying to use up all the lovely smellies i got bought for xmas pressies and eating out the freezer since xmas so hopefully this should be achievable.

Good Luck everyone :T
    HSBC [STRIKE]£3223.20[/STRIKE] £2060.00
    Cap1 [STRIKE]£1724.91[/STRIKE] £1782.00
    OD [STRIKE]£939.78[/STRIKE] £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
  • becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did my first shop of the month and spent £21.28. Although that did include a bottle of vodka as I have friends coming round for drinks tonight instead of going to the pub. Much cheaper than spending £15 down the pub :) I'm planning on investigating what is actually in my freezer and trying to eat my way through it this month.....might have some interesting combinations!
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
  • Winged_one
    Options
    Can you please put me down for €400 for February, Mrs Macawber? Thank you. (Must do better for annual figure to be kept under control!)

I didn't have to get a lot this week and kept my spend to €60 - although I have to add the cost of the fish DH bought this morning. I didn't even have to get lamb for Monday's planned rogan josh, as I checked freezer before I went and found a family sized portion already there. I have, in fact, a menu of options for the week from the freezer (and I've put them up to remind myself during the week of what's there as MEALS using what's in freezer/fridge and jars in cupboards, rather than as chicken/pork/prawns which need some inspiration).

Tonight, we are having fish (mackeral for DH and lemon sole for me as I can't take the bones)
    Tomorrow, he is having a fish pie using the hake I had already taken out for a fish risotto (!!) and I am having a lamb chop and caulflower cheese (he's working)
    Monday - the aforementioned rogan josh, with a pack of puppodums in cupboard and basmati rice (may even make proper pilau)
    Tuesday, I have to use a bag of fresh pasta, so defrosting a pack of sausages and a HM tomato sauce to go with them, got a garlic bread in Lidl the other day
    Wed-Fri: Options include
    Chicken (frozen in pieces) with a HM curry sauce (F) and ice
    Pork (F in pieces) stir fry with noodles
    Prawns (F) with a jar sweet'n'sour sauce and rice
    Ikea meatballs (F) and HM potato wedges
    Macaroni cheese (with F cooked bacon pieces)
    Nasi goreng (cooked rice is F, tin tuna, tin sweetcorn and other veg)

And I still have a load of other chicken and other bits to use up from freezer.

THe only thing I need to buy for the rest of this coming week is bread and milk.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • Mrs_Toast
    Mrs_Toast Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    MrsToast, I mainly used real nappies on DS but as he was getting near toilet training time, sometimes at night, on holiday or if I was ill I used Lidl, Tesco, Boots, Huggies or Pampers, and found the Lidl ones, certainly then (about 2 yrs ago) to be comparable to leading Brands!
    xxx

Thanks OrkneyStar. I'm hoping that they are good. Don't need any until maybe another week but thought it's worth trying for 3.99.:money:
    TOTAL DEBT £12,212.46/£2000 paid off
    Debt Free Goal September 2017
    #106 Emergency Fund £482.53/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills