PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• lollyfin
    lollyfin Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    could any of you let me know what you think of Iceland as we have one opening up here soon, is it all just ready meals or are there some good bargains. My budget just isn,t up to making expensive mistakes just now and I know what I am like, shiny new shop oooooooohhh so exciting, but if it isn't worth it I am best just not going in at all.
    Wow misscreditcrunch you are feeding a lot, thought I was bad with 6 lol
    I always find something made out of mince is a good cheapy filling meal and stretches really well, I got 500g of mince to feed us 3 meals (spag bol, lasagna and chilli) so going by numbers you could probably get 2 meals for your lot
    hope everyones having a good day
    NSD yippeeeee
    Lollyfin
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi moniker, try typing in the make and model of your bread maker into google, maybe it will come up with some usefull info? I know my partner ordered a spare paddle for a friend's breadmaker off the internet although i can' remember the make or where he ordered it from (sorry if this is not much help)

I have tried this and came up with a forum which had a link to a spare parts' site but it only listed the paddle not the whole pan. I remember I had a Breville one a few years ago and bought a replacement pan for it but it cost as much as a new Cookworks machine and then it went bust too! Perhaps I will have to bite the bullet and buy a posh Panasonic one!

Thanks though for the suggestion.

Moniker
  • misscreditcrunch
    Options
    Hi lollyfin, thanks for the advice on mince dishes, you do really well to feed 6 people on 500g of mince for three meals:beer:, i assume you add in lots of extra bits to bulk up? Tonight's tea is 2 x ready made lasagnes from lidl for £2.00 each, 2 x bags of potato wedges (also lidl) and some left over salad in the fridge:rotfl:Hope this is enough (oh i nearly forgot there is also a cake from lidl for pudding if required:T) Moniker, i hope you have more luck with sorting out your breadmaker:cool:
    :jApril 2011 Grocery Challenge £116.57/£600.00:jone NSD:rotfl:
  • misscreditcrunch
    Options
    Lollyfin, Iceland is ok for lots of cheap foods stuff, whether it is healthy or not is a different matter, just have a browse around inside your lovely new store and see what you think?:rolleyes:
  • Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi All,
    Just done my big shop for the month and spent a total of £75.08 at a number of shops. £111.80 is earmarked for veg boxes, dairy bills and fruit for the month so there is a grand total of £13.12 left for emergencies, whoopsies and bargains.
    I may need to buy some brandy for the Christmas cake out of that but I am wondering if any old spirit left in the cupboard might do as well eg. there are a few bacardi minatures rattling around does anyone know if this will be ok?
    Good luck for August everyone!
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • misscreditcrunch
    Options
    puddleglum, what is a bronze cracker challenge? Sorry if i seem a bit dim:confused:
  • Lol it's great to see there's lots of you just like me.

1. No children allowed in shop!!
    Came out yesterday with 2 magazines and a foam sword (£9 of the £30 budget, they don't qualify as groceries but were bought in supermarket)

2. After seeing 18 portions being stretched from one bag of mince(don't know how you do it!) - I need to add more veg to bulk out meals.

Anyway, not so bad but it's only tuesday and we only have £8 left, but lots of food. Lots of noodles, cheap sauces, frozen veg, bread and eggs.
    Lovin the frozen fruit and frozen stir fry veg I find in a certain supermarket but... It might get tough!!
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2009 at 6:49PM
    Options
    lollyfin wrote: »
    Hi all,
    could any of you let me know what you think of Iceland as we have one opening up here soon, is it all just ready meals or are there some good bargains.

Depends on what you want really. I buy the big packs of cheese for £5 out of, its own brand but its fine. Other things i buy are the frozen peas and sweetcorn, else is a bit hit and miss and quite expensive. Best thing about Iceland is that they deliver free to your door if you spend £25 or over.

Just spent under £30 but it was mainly fresh and stock cupboard stuff such as flour and tomatoes. Fingers crossed it will last till mid next week.Had to buy other food stuff as well such as mouthwash etc .

Were having meatballs and spaghetti for tea tonight, bulked it out with lenitls, carrots, green beans, garlic and onions. Hopefully will get two portions out of it, but knowing my three yes my 9yr old eats the same amount as his father and is stick thin. I won't be able to freeze any for another day.
  • Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    puddleglum, what is a bronze cracker challenge? Sorry if i seem a bit dim:confused:

I joined in with it last month. You can find it in the debt free wanabee forum. They only update on the 19th of the month but the idea is that you set yourself a challenge bronze (£1010) up to platinum (£4010) silver and gold fitting in at £1000 intervals and then try to make that amount of money before 19th Dec by doing something other than your usual job. Bank heists don't count unfortunately!
    Don't know if I will be able to make it but thought it worth a shot!
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • lollyfin
    lollyfin Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the Iceland info, think we will def get the cheese spend a fortune on the stuff. Think I will go in but leave the bank card at home and only take a tenner with me that way I can't spend too much but will be able to get any bargains and should put me off spending more as would have to go home to get more cash.
    Moniker i have PM'd you about breadmaker
    Pink custard monster I know what you mean about shopping with kids, mine are awful oldest (18) is definately the worst, OH isn't much better either drives me nuts
    Does anyone know anything about fridges as mine has started leaking water, disaster, it is still working tho, have checked the little drain thing inside and it isn't blocked or anything but apart from that am totally clueless and really can't afford to replace or repair it at the mo
    Thanks
    lollyfin
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business