Preparing for Christmas 2011

Options

Comments

• toddles*
    toddles* Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    As I have a newborn in September, Xmas shopping and planning will not be happening in the run up to xmas so I have been planning it for a while now. I have been to lots of NCT sales, carboots, etc to buy my DD pressies. she will be 3 at xmas so will not care in the slightest that the toys are not brand new.
    I also bought loads of decorations and few pressies for friends in the Janurary sales. I have all my xmas wrapping paper 10p a roll from the sales.
    my OH and I dont buy for each other, unless its something we would really like, (meaning we never buy for the sake of it).
    all I need to do really is some menu planning, but hoping that we get invited to my mums this year for the actual meal

but I will still be making my ususal Christmas cake probably in August before baby comes.
    Happy days
  • psso
    psso Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    Options
    Bugeteer,sorry to tell you, you`re a bit slow off the mark.

Was off shopping yesterday and passed one of the local hotels. They`re advertising their` bring a party to our Christmas party` on a huge banner outside the building.:eek: They`re obviously getting geared up already :rotfl:.

I was just thinking the other day I`ll have to get my thinking cap on for knitted pressies and bits and pieces for the grandkids seasonal school fayre. Lots of snowmen and santas maybe.
    I have to start early as like a lot of others, cash is limited so buying things bit by bit is the only way to do it for me.

I`m putting away £1 a day, when I remember :o so should have a nice wee fund building up for the extras. Wrapping paper was bought in the sales in January so just need something to wrap in it now.
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy :D

Charity knitting 2015
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    toddles* wrote: »
    As I have a newborn in September, Xmas shopping and planning will not be happening in the run up to xmas so I have been planning it for a while now. I have been to lots of NCT sales, carboots, etc to buy my DD pressies. she will be 3 at xmas so will not care in the slightest that the toys are not brand new.
    I also bought loads of decorations and few pressies for friends in the Janurary sales. I have all my xmas wrapping paper 10p a roll from the sales.
    my OH and I dont buy for each other, unless its something we would really like, (meaning we never buy for the sake of it).
    all I need to do really is some menu planning, but hoping that we get invited to my mums this year for the actual meal

but I will still be making my ususal Christmas cake probably in August before baby comes.

Wow, you're doing well :beer:
  • youngmummy
    youngmummy Posts: 489 Forumite
    edited 30 May 2011 at 6:35PM
    Options
    ohh i love xmas,,, its a wonderful but expensive time of year, when i have the spare cash will start buying things for OH and LO from june. most of the things for my LO are 2 for 15 pounds at ar**s. already have planned what we want to get him but keeping my eye out on gu*t**e and e*ay oh and am*zen as many get them cheaper i havent got any money saved yet, exept for my sealed pot :money:... we are trying to get the garden sorted at the moment once that it done i will concentrate on the financial side of xmas just preparing for it at the moment. how is everyone else doing x

just write out my list of people to buy for for xmas 45 people and the total is £1150:eek::eek::eek:!!!
    i was going to buy each couple a tin of sweets £5 when on offer any cheaper alteratives if not i will stick with the tin of sweets :)
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim £10,000
    make £10 a day in 2015 £261/£4000
    emergency fund aim £100/£1000
    £1 a day for xmas 2015 £0/£365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC £0/£120
  • SparklyClean
    SparklyClean Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Yay! THankyou for the thread. My mom thinks I'm nuts planning Christmas already!

Have got a few presents for my 2 DDs, they were on offer, and something for my sister.

Am planning some HM pressies so want to get started on them,and would really love to do some fudge making/chuntneys/jams and that sort of thing this year. I'll have probably eaten it all before Christmas though:o
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    budgeteer wrote: »
    Now, Now. This is why there is an apology in my PS. You either love it or hate it. But for those who love it, it's never too early to prepare :j

I love Christmas, but it's still May :eek: I haven't even planned my summer holiday, so plenty of time yet :)

I'll move this to the Special Occasions Board for now.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • NiceGuyEddie_2
    Options
    This thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2943918&page=13 is a good place to have a look OP. It'll slowly crank up a gear as we get closer to Christmas, come Sept/Oct time it'll be v. busy :D
    Despite the name, I'm actually a laydee!
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,662 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    youngmummy wrote: »
    i was going to buy each couple a tin of sweets £5 when on offer any cheaper alteratives if not i will stick with the tin of sweets :)

Could you not bake or make something yourself?

Truffles
    Peppermint creams
    fudge
    shortbread

are all easy to make and require little effort or fanciness and then you could wrap them yourself in cellophane bags as gifts. Might save you a few quid

x
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • Wee_Pilsbury
    Wee_Pilsbury Posts: 368 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Hi all

It's amazing how quickly it creeps up on you - i swear I looked at the calendar a few weeks ago and it was only February :eek: where does time go?

I actually did some Christmas shopping on Saturday :rudolf: - I bought my one and only brand new(ish) nephew some toys from Argos - using the vouchers I've managed to save from Shop and Scan and Valued Opinions. Best of all, I got another £5 voucher from Argos for spending over (just) £50.00 :j.

This year, for the first time, I've even managed to persuade the family to have a cost limit on presents for the adults (£15 max) and just to buy for the wee ones. That will certainly help my budget and I'm sure everyone was at the very least secretly glad we all agreed!

So, now my challenge is to get the best presents possible for £15 per person including any that I make. Should be easy for the first time in donkey's years :D
    DFW Nerd Club # 1364
  • pompeyfaith
    pompeyfaith Posts: 536 Forumite
    Options
    Now, Now. This is why there is an apology in my PS. You either love it or hate it. But for those who love it, it's never too early to prepare

Never said I hated Xmas just that May is way too early for me when I can get it all done in 6 weeks.

And like another poster said summer holiday comes first in my book too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure