PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with a Gammon Joint

Options

Comments

• elvis_bloggs
    Options
    Gillby1 wrote:
    I love Nigella's recipe of boiling it (or slow-cooking!) in coke or cherry coke with one halved onion. Once cooked, you can eat as it is, or brush with cherry jam and roast till it's all sticky and browned. It's absolutely lovely. And the coke-stock is amazing for boiling red cabbage in afterwards - as also suggested by Nigella.

Not as sickly as it sounds, honest xxx
    I wonder what other alternatives there are that are novel, the mind boggles.
  • bootman
    bootman Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have a Gammon for boxing day to cook and have found this old thread.

I just wanted to check how long should you have a gammon in the slow cooker and how long to finish it off afterwards in the oven?

I don't want to over cook it in the slow cooker then burn it in the oven!

Many thanks for your help
  • helping_hubby
    helping_hubby Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    Options
    I have a piece of gammon (I think it's gammon), but it has no instructions on it.

I usually boil gammon, but this time I was going to try par-boiling, then finishing in the oven.

Anyone know how many minutes per lb I should boil for and bake for and what temperature the oven should be?
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,586 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Last time I did this I think I did 20 minutes per lb. Sorry not much help.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • LilacPixie
    LilacPixie Posts: 8,052 Forumite
    Options
    ummm I usually just guess. I did a 1.8kg bit for 45 mins in the water then removed it and into the oven covered in some mustard and honey plus foil at 180 until done . I then threw diced veg and lentis into the water and made a bit of a soup for OH lunches at work.
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi helping_hubby,

I do it exactly as LilacPixie does except I stud it with a few cloves before covering it in mustard and brown sugar.

There's an older thread on cooking gammon which should help so I'll add your thread to it to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • LearningToSave.
    LearningToSave. Posts: 1,428 Forumite
    Options
    HELP!!!!! we have a massive gammon joint...3.14kg which google tells me is just under 7lb!!!
    what do i do with it?? how long should i cook it for??
    and any ideas on how to cook it/recipies etc.
    i have a slow cooker(mr 6.5 litre),a big pot and oven so it can be cooked any way.i know it fits in my slow cooker as its in the crock at the mo soaking in cold water until tonight.and it will also fit in the big pot i have no probs as its massive!!
    also have most store cupboard items,herbs,spices etc.

i did search the index but couldnt really find the answers i was looking for as its so big!!!!
  • joannasmum
    joannasmum Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would boil for 20minutes per lb with a bayleaf or 2, an onion pealed and 1/2'd and afew peppercorns. When its done allow to rest for abit and then pull of the rind and some of the fat. Smooth mustard over the remaining fat and sprinkle with demera sugar and bake for 30min in the oven. Have some for tea and then portion up the rest in cling film and freeze.

HTH
    Sorting my life out one day at a time
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remembering to save the stock for soup!
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As above. If you have cloves you can studd it with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure