PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with a Gammon Joint

Options

Comments

• tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    I use the Ted Hutchinson method, cook it for part of the time in the pressure cooker and then take the rind off, mix together demerera sugar, dry english mustard and some mixed spice, put the joint in the tin with the fat side uppermost and then spread the sugar and mustard mixture over the fat, bake in the overn for the rest of the cooking time, the sugar will caramalise and form a crust over the fat.... delicious either hot or cold..........another way is to score the fat and then drizzle honey over it, spread with a mixture of sugar and mustard and then cook in the same way.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    My Dad used to boil it in bitter!! Which was actually quite nice

Or Mum honey roasts it - slice diamonds in the skin and cover with honey

I've also had it with brown sugar used for a crust
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • magicmaria
    Options
    Hi I have been given a very large Gammon joint and haven't got a clue how to cook it, do I boil it or roast it??? please has anyone got any great recipe ideas with what I could do with it. Thanks
  • Jazzycat
    Options
    Hi,

you can either keep it whole of cut into smaller joints. It freezes fine. Keep it to about a 1kg piece at the smallest. If it is tied together then do keep this on or the gammon will fall apart - only cut where it will not come apart - between the strings should be fine. If it has an articial skin then keep this on.

The best bet is to soak the gammon in water overnight or for a few hours if not possible. This takes the excess salt that is used to cure the ham off.

Then put in fresh water and bring to the boil - surface skim any residue.

Simmer for about half an hour per kg. A large joint however is best boiled for no longer than 1hr 30mins as it will dry out excessively when roasted.

Heat oven to 190oC. Drain gammon. If the gammon has a rind and fat layer then this is best removed now. Simply cut off and discard. If you like the flavour of cloves simply stud the joint with about a dozen of them (you can be decorative with them and score the meat in a criss cross pattern and put the cloves into each diamond shape you make - no real point though). Put gammon joint into oven and bake for 1hr to 1hr 15min. 20 minutes before end of cooking remove joint form oven. You can glaze the joint to give it a real flavour. I use honey as this is perfect for gammon. Use about 5-6 table spoons and drizzle over gammon. When done remove from oven and allow the meat to rest for 15mins before serving - this tenderises the meat by allowing it to relax after the intense heat of the oven. Perfect cold. Enjoy.

Here are some links to recipes pages

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/roast-gammon-with-blackened-crackling-with-citrus-rum-and-raisin-sauce,1246,RC.html

http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm?uktv=recipes.recipe&iID=516007

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A666650

they all vary and have different soaking times but I do the above and it always works - good luck!
  • donna-j_2
    Options
    Here's Nigella Lawson's Ham cooked in Coca-cola. It's really lovely.

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/N/nigella/bites8.shtml
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Unfortunately Gammon doesn't feature in The World's Healthiest Foods so really I think it would be best if this thread could be moved to MoneySaving Old Style
    Where some time ago this thread had some useful tastey Gammon Recipes.
    Organic Bacon/Gammon Joint
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • magicmaria
    Options
    Thank you - I am new to this how do I move the thread
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    I expect a board guide will do it later. It's not a bit issue if threads end up in the wrong place. It happens all the time. It's just that in the Moneysaving old style board there are some regulars like Curry Queen who are really good cooks and always very helpful so you get more really useful replies.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • katiepops_2
    Options
    You can also cook it in the slow cooker - I love cooking meat in the slow cooker, it tastes so much nicer than roasting.

Kate
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    I normally cook it in the slow cooker with spices and then coat it in honey and cloves and roast it off in the oven.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport