Oled tv screen burn

Options

Comments

• gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I am also pleased some people are enjoying their OLED TV’s

As a general viewer I probably would not have trouble with screen burn. However as someone who will keep the TV for many years (after 10 years 3 months the last Samsung main TV was still going strong) I was not prepared to take the risk.
    Why would I.
    So I bought QLED Samsung Q9. After two months very happy.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    However, the technology is way to fragile for my use case, which is general viewing.

Let's not confuse a bad batch of products wiith an entire technology.
  • Right_Kefuffle
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Let's not confuse a bad batch of products wiith an entire technology.

It is not a bad batch - it IS the technology. Model year 17 onwards they actively have software built in to cycle the pixels after use.

I think there is a strong argument that the OLED 2016 and prior are not actually fit for purpose.

Wondeful picture - undeniable. Slightly Fragile? I think so.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It's a TV - you can watch it - ergo it is fit for purpose.

I guess you actually query whether it is of reasonable quality and durability given the price paid. ;)
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is not a bad batch - it IS the technology

Read back through the thread. Yes, you can burn an image into OLED with abuse. OP stated it wasn't abuse and just normal viewing. Newer OLEDs, as you say, have some protection built in. If the 'purpose' is watching a news channel all day with a static logo, then no, it's not. Same as plasma. But they're meant to be fine for general use. OP seems to have been unlucky.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    It is not a bad batch - it IS the technology. Model year 17 onwards they actively have software built in to cycle the pixels after use.

I think there is a strong argument that the OLED 2016 and prior are not actually fit for purpose.

Wondeful picture - undeniable. Slightly Fragile? I think so.

Actually the 2016 year models do too.
  • Frosdee
    Frosdee Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 27 March 2019 at 6:50PM
    Options
    I've got exactly the same issue with an LG OLED bought November 2016. Slightly galled I have to say by commenters suggesting it's the users fault for not doing their homework before buying, or not using the TV properly (I use mine to watch TV, what else should I use it for - washing the dishes?). I read a number of reviews of the TV before I bought it - they were all glowing, it was 5 star rated by most and decribed as one of the best TVs around and worth the expense ('What Hi Fi' for example - I won't be trusting their reviews again). Not one review mentioned the risk of screen burn. Also galled by the fact LG and the retailer John Lewis have the audacity to entice you to buy the products by offering guarantees, and then don't honour them. The fact they claim the guarantee doesn't cover screen burn tells you they know full well it can and probably will occur. Therefore it's a flaw in the technology and LG should never have marketed it. For the fact they did, any consumers let down by the issue shoud be fully compensated. Oh, and for the record, my screen burn has resulted from brief repetitions over time rather than long periods of the same image. I have Sky TV and whenever you interact with the set top box (which has to be very often) an onscreen box pops up which has little command icons like 'delete'. That bright yellow 'delete' icon has burned in despite my using the TV with standard settings, and safetey features turned on. LG OLEDs should have been marketed with an upfront, unmissable warning "not recommended for use with set top box menus, game consoles, channels displaying logos or other fixed graphics". But then no one would have bought them, so they kept it quiet. Dishonest trading as far as I'm concerned.
  • Right_Kefuffle
    Options
    100% agree with every word you have written.

:beer:

When they are not defective they are superb - but I can assure everyone readin this thread - these OLEDs are far too delicate to be used 'normally' and really should come with a warning that they are vulnerable.

I would not have bought one if I had known they were that vulnerable.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OLED majorly have less lifespan than other tvs
    Examples?

An LG OLED panel has a lifespan of 100,000 hours which is 30 years if it was on 10 hours a day. The argument is totally moot as the TV's electronics will fail way before the lifespan of any panel, (OLED, LCD/LED, QLED) is reached.
  • Thomas_Basil_Reid
    Options
    Might as well have a lifespan of a million years. It is still useless if covered in screen burn after a few months - even when used in accordance with manufacturers instructions.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback