So..what do you want to achieve in 2016?

Options

Comments

• AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    1. Continue paying my debt, overpaying if/possible. Down to an even £13,000, thanks to a £9 overpayment.

2. Save £1500 in my emergency fund; aiming for £1000 by the end of May. Now £500 and will stay as such while I focus on my Rainy Day Fund!

3. Save £500 in rainy day fund. Now £90

4. Use Amazon vouchers earned from surveys to pay for presents and treats for myself. Used £10 towards my mum's birthday present, but spent another £13.48 on the remainder, plus a Mother's Day present and a cookbook I really wanted...

5. Get off benefits — preferably by earning at least £90 per week through self-employment, or by getting a job if I am able (I have long term mental health problems which affect my ability to work). No action yet.

6. Lose 120lbs. Currently a smidge over 260lb and my initial target is 140lb. Now 255lb, having lost 8lb. Falling short of my target :(

7. Meditate and do yoga regularly. I feel better when I do this, but don't get around to doing it often enough! Meditation is going okay, but still no yoga.

8. Redraft my novel to a good standard. Have rewritten 2 chapters and made rewriting notes on chapters 3-5 :)

9. Try to get an agent, when the novel is in a decent state. No progress, since novel is not in decent state.

10. Write the draft of another novel. No progress; focusing on rewriting novel.

11. Do an Arvon course — my mental health and finances may prevent this, but I would really like to go on a residential writing course and Arvon has a fabulous reputation. They do grants for people of limited means, but this would not cover the total cost. Decided which course to apply for and aim to submit grant application this week.

12. Submit at least 25 short stories to literary journals or competitions. These can be stories I've already written, as well as new ones. No progress.

Would like to have made more progress, but feel like I'm picking up pace now, which is great :)
    Rainy day fund — 210/1000 Emergency fund — 1019/1500
    Loan — 424/19,224 = 2.2% Fun fund: 1/100 Credit card balance — 0
  • Newyorkdreams
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

How is the New Year going so far? How are you getting on with your goals?

I'm not making as much progress as I would have liked at this point so I am upping my efforts. I am going to make a £100 overpayment to one of my credit cards today, just to make me feel better!!

I'll post a proper update very soon.

Mini NYD is doing great, she is 11 months now so is into EVERYTHING. I've gone back to work now full time so whilst the wages are nice, I'm absolutely shattered so some of these non-financial goals are a bit of a stretch for me at the moment. However, I do like a challenge!!!

'Speak' soon!

NYD xx
    2019 goal
    0/£15000
  • AspiringButAnxious
    AspiringButAnxious Posts: 753 Forumite
    edited 15 February 2016 at 4:44PM
    Options
    1. Continue paying my debt, overpaying if/possible. Still £13,000, though £200 SO goes out in 2 days.

2. Save £1500 in my emergency fund; aiming for £1000 by the end of May. Now £500 and will stay as such while I focus on my Rainy Day Fund!

3. Save £500 in rainy day fund. Still £90

4. Use Amazon vouchers earned from surveys to pay for presents and treats for myself. Blew a £15 Amazon voucher on ebooks, albeit books I will enjoy. Also wasted £5 on junk food and bought a £12 jumper I didn't need with cash, so really shouldn't be buying anymore treats anytime soon.

5. Get off benefits — preferably by earning at least £90 per week through self-employment, or by getting a job if I am able (I have long term mental health problems which affect my ability to work). Doing lots of voluntary writing work for a local nonprofit, using skills I will need to use when I'm self-employed (including emailing publications, which terrifies me). Also had a meeting with a new Working Links advisor, who is very encouraging and has pointed me towards a local business resource.

6. Lose 120lbs. Currently a smidge over 260lb and my initial target is 140lb. 255lb, having lost 8lb. Had a really junky and bloated week, so not surprised that there's been no change. :(

7. Meditate and do yoga regularly. I feel better when I do this, but don't get around to doing it often enough! Meditation has dallen by the wayside a little, but I'm making a renewed effort to do it as from today.

8. Redraft my novel to a good standard. Need to type up changes for chapters 3-5. Bit annoyed at myself for not making more progress.

9. Try to get an agent, when the novel is in a decent state. No progress, since novel is not in decent state.

11. Do an Arvon course — my mental health and finances may prevent this, but I would really like to go on a residential writing course and Arvon has a fabulous reputation. They do grants for people of limited means, but this would not cover the total cost. Submitted a grant application, but haven't heard back.

12. Submit at least 25 short stories to literary journals or competitions. These can be stories I've already written, as well as new ones. 1/25 — entered a story in a competition. Working on opthe next one...

Again, I wih things were moving faster. I feel so stuck atm. To be fair on myself, there was a lot of upheaval last week because my parents had a new boiler put in, so that wasn't conducive to writing. Still frustrated at myself though.
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    1. Continue paying my debt, overpaying if/possible. £12,800 — trickling down slowly.

3. Save £500 in rainy day fund. Now £120 :)

4. Use Amazon vouchers earned from surveys to pay for presents and treats for myself. Bought 3 ebooks: used £3.27 of Amazon balance and approx £12 in money... Need to avoid doing this.

5. Get off benefits — preferably by earning at least £90 per week through self-employment, or by getting a job if I am able (I have long term mental health problems which affect my ability to work). Lots of voluntary writing-based work, plus I met a Business Champion who pointed me in the direction of some useful websites. I have booked a place on a free enterprise meeting thingy at the end of March and joined a website which provides business advice and a community of entrepreneurs based in the Westcountry.

6. Lose 120lbs. Currently a smidge over 260lb and my initial target is 140lb. 255lb, having lost 8lb. No change :(

7. Meditate and do yoga regularly. I feel better when I do this, but don't get around to doing it often enough! Meditating a little more, but still neglecting yoga.

8. Redraft my novel to a good standard. Typed up chapter 3-5 changes and made rewriting notes for chapters 6 and 7.

11. Do an Arvon course — my mental health and finances may prevent this, but I would really like to go on a residential writing course and Arvon has a fabulous reputation. They do grants for people of limited means, but this would not cover the total cost. Got a £500 grant! I have paid my £100 deposit and have £150 left to pay. Delighted that I will be doing the course. It's a dream come true.

12. Submit at least 25 short stories to literary journals or competitions. These can be stories I've already written, as well as new ones. 2/25 — entered another competition and working on the next story.

Feel like I have made a lot of progress over the past couple of weeks. Hope it continues! :)
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello!

Thought I'd do an update although haven't made too much progress! One thing I debated putting on the list but didn't was to get a new job - which I've done! Don't start until the end of March though.

My aims for this year:-
    * Become debt free (£1,776.21 remaining) Now at £1,529.21
    * Overpay mortgage by £1,200 (currently £100) Now at £200 and another £100 will go out tomorrow
    * Get EF up to £1,500 ( currently £1,000) Now at £1,010
    * Pay off holiday and save £1,000 for spending money (not planning to spend it all necessarily but going for my 30th and want to be able to do what I want!) Paid off over half so far
    * Continue renovation on house without incurring debt More work carried out but every time I top up the renovation fund we empty it again!
    * Run twice per week Oops! But I have started going back to circuits
    * Run 5k in 30 minutes (stolen from Floozie!) Haven't done any running to know what my current time is!
    * Enter 12 running events (completed one and signed up to another 2) Must enter some more!
    * Lose 1 stone Weighed myself this morning and I've put on a pound rather than lose anything!
    * Eat breakfast Still rubbish at this!
    * Read 6 books Oops! Must find a good book to get stuck into!

Must try harder!
    Starting again..
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    1. Continue paying my debt, overpaying if/possible. £12,800 — next payment due on Thursday.

3. Save £500 in rainy day fund. Down to £20 because I raided it to pay for my short story course. Will replace it as soon as I can and get back to increasing savings.

4. Use Amazon vouchers earned from surveys to pay for presents and treats for myself. Meh. Bought some cheap ebooks and spent £20 on a christening present. In my defence, I have been claiming Paypal payments more than Amazon vouchers lately.

5. Get off benefits — preferably by earning at least £90 per week through self-employment, or by getting a job if I am able (I have long term mental health problems which affect my ability to work). I got a job! Writing CVs and cover letters from home. It's ideal, so I hope it works out and my work meets their standards. I'm aiming to build up my hours as I learn the ropes and come off benefits in May if all goes well.

6. Lose 120lbs. Currently a smidge over 260lb and my initial target is 140lb. 255lb, having lost 8lb. No change :(

7. Meditate and do yoga regularly. I feel better when I do this, but don't get around to doing it often enough! Same — meditating a bit, but no yoga.

8. Redraft my novel to a good standard. Typed changes to chapters 6 and 7.

11. Do an Arvon course — my mental health and finances may prevent this, but I would really like to go on a residential writing course and Arvon has a fabulous reputation. They do grants for people of limited means, but this would not cover the total cost. £80 left to pay, which I will cover next week.

12. Submit at least 25 short stories to literary journals or competitions. These can be stories I've already written, as well as new ones. 2/25. Drafted another story, so hope to submit that sometime within the next month.

I'm cautiously optimistic atm... Feeling energised and ready to make big changes, so I hope all goes well.
  • lizzy85
    lizzy85 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    Career boost. Hopefully. A career that can compensate on the standard of living that I want plus lots of savings.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Joining in!

1. Make 2016 the year that we are completely debt-free! My debts will be cleared by June and hubbys before the end of the year.

2. Save each month for Christmas, Holidays, Contingency Fund, House Deposit, Car Fund and Clothing. Do not use credit for any of these!

3. Sort out Health - having problems with joints and seeing a Rheumatologist soon.

4. Continue to de-clutter and clean the house - doing really well at this and it becomes so much easier to keep the house clean when you have less stuff!

5. To pay more attention to my children and listen to everything they say, taking time to talk to them, play games with them and try and do more cheap days out and experiences with them this year. They're growing up fast! I love my kiddies xxx

6.. To ultimately become debt-free, frugal, a minimalist, happy and live a credit-free life.
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1. Read 216 books (108/216)
    2. Read the Inspector Morse books (6/13)
    3. Finish stitching Medieval Dog
    4. Start stitching Medieval Rabbit
    5. Finish Winnie the Pooh year (0/12)
    6. Start stitching Map of Cambridgeshire
    7. Finish small Crewelwork piece
    8. Get knitting done to over half way
    9. Knit 13 sampler squares (2/13)
    10. Knit a cowl
    11. Go to a Clinique counter and get my skin assessed!
    12. Wear make up 26 times (5/26)
    13. One day get to 2,000 steps (this one will be tricky)
    14. Do 13 new recipes (5/13)
    15. Have a facial and back massage
    16. Blog weekly (or more often if possible) (10/52)
    Must use my stash up!
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    1. Continue paying my debt, overpaying if/possible. £12,600. Going down slowly but surely — hope to be able to pay it off quicker once I can build up the hours I do in my new job and hopefully get my copywriting business running..

3. Save £500 in rainy day fund. Down to £20 because I raided it to pay for my short story course. Will replace it as soon as I can and get back to increasing savings.

4. Use Amazon vouchers earned from surveys to pay for presents and treats for myself. Used £8 of vouchers to buy an ebook on confidence that I really wanted. Also spent £10 on another ebook... My excuse is that it's about career development, so will pay for itself in teh long run ;)

5. Get off benefits — preferably by earning at least £90 per week through self-employment, or by getting a job if I am able (I have long term mental health problems which affect my ability to work). Been in new job 3 weeks and haven't encountered any major problems or been fired. The plan is to stop claiming esa a week today, when I see my Working Links advisor. The transition might be tricky from a cashflow pov, but I can't wait to have more freedom and independence.

7. Meditate and do yoga regularly. I feel better when I do this, but don't get around to doing it often enough! Same — meditating a bit, but no yoga.

8. Redraft my novel to a good standard. Made rewriting notes on chapter 8 — moving slowly, but in the right direction...

11. Do an Arvon course — my mental health and finances may prevent this, but I would really like to go on a residential writing course and Arvon has a fabulous reputation. They do grants for people of limited means, but this would not cover the total cost. All paid and paid off the cc.

12. Submit at least 25 short stories to literary journals or competitions. These can be stories I've already written, as well as new ones. 2/25. Got one story drafted and in the process of another first draft. Need to write more and faster!.

It's all been about the new job over the past couple of weeks, so my other goals have been neglected. However, the job should help me achieve some of my other goals and I should get more confident and less stressed with experience. Fingers crossed! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family