is it worth joining a union?

Options

Comments

• Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    Tell you what, in a company which doesnt have 100 per cent Union membership, let the non Union members sign a declaration that they wont get the same rights and benefits as the paid up Union members. For example, if management gives all workers a 1per cent pay increase and its then negotiated to a 3 per cent increase with 2 extra days holiday a year and compassionate leave. The not Union members can have their 1 per cent and 2 less days holiday and no compassionate leave.

All sorted
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Scd3 - you think supply side economics is rubbish? And the tax implications of wage rises and the effect on inflation is rubbish?

Don't forget, pensions are investments, everybody's a shareholder

If you feel like companies are ripping people off, encourage people to buy shares in them
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    No idea what you think you are saying.

I used the example to prove that sometimes when they say something its wrong or they are lying.

Hope you understand now.

I understood best what i could with your vague reply. I was pointing that a well unionised workforce can sometimes be a plus or a minus.

you started that post with "they all said the same" which implies people who are not part of a union?

But I'm guessing you will just boil down my opinion or understanding to "rubbish" and surround yourself with men sticking together whatever the hell that means!
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    The you negotiated. Thats what a reps does. If you are fair then there really is no issue but your example is you. Of course the better the company, the less work a union has. Surely you understand the majority of places don't work like you described.

You gave the impression you say x and its x. I explained where I work in a large company you would get no one working or you would get a few, because there is always them. But not enough to do the job.

I was off sick a while back.....3 months full pay and no one said a word other than welcome back. You think we now have that in a contract other than because of decent reps/ Union backing and a decent open minded company?

Some of the lads on older contracts can have a year full pay as long as they provide Drs notes??..........is that what you pay?

I still wouldn't describe it as negotiation. It was something we hadn't considered. We considered it, came up with the pay structure the lads liked, which as ex drivers we tend to intuitively know anyway, and that was that. I am very polite and will discuss things, but I know that the things I come up with are better than they can get elsewhere. Which is why my staff stay and stay. I literally can't remember the last driver that voluntarily left for reasons other than retirement or I'll health. And trust me, drivers can move around!

SSP and there is no way I'm moving on that. If I'm sick I get SSP, I'm dry fair like that and no I don't earn vastly more than my staff. The last few years I've had a small bonus so that I top the highest paid driver by a few hundred quid. One of my customers was a government agency and my current main customer is a big blue chip, the stuff their staff get away with is shocking as regards sickness absence. Much to the annoyance of their non sick pay abusing colleagues. on years when work has been tough, paying someone even for six months would hve been a severe financial issue. Perils of a small firm, we don't have the reserves of the big companies. That's a real red line for me and there's no flex on that. Obviously if it's a huge issue, they can leave, but the rest of the package is sufficiently enticing for them to stay.

Incidentally of my 23 staff, only one came via a job advert, the rest asked to come to us when we had a vacancy. Not many haulage firms can say that.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Scd3 - you think supply side economics is rubbish? And the tax implications of wage rises and the effect on inflation is rubbish?

Don't forget, pensions are investments, everybody's a shareholder

If you feel like companies are ripping people off, encourage people to buy shares in them

I get shares in my own company.

I dont consider holiday, sickness and minimum wage as luxury. If a company can not pay it, why should it be topped up by the government.

Do you think the same about maternity pay?
  • bugslet
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    There you go, we have something in common - Schnauzers.

Putting you back on the Christmas card list right now! I have a mini as well. Great breed!
  • scd3scd4
    edited 13 August 2017 at 4:07PM
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    SSP and there is no way I'm moving on that. If I'm sick I get SSP, I'm dry fair like that and no I don't earn vastly more than my staff. The last few years I've had a small bonus so that I top the highest paid driver by a few hundred quid. One of my customers was a government agency and my current main customer is a big blue chip, the stuff their staff get away with is shocking as regards sickness absence. Much to the annoyance of their non sick pay abusing colleagues.

Who said abusing. People break legs, get cancer and have heart surgery. I had major surgery. I consider myself fortunate. I am grateful to not just the pass Union reps but the company also.

btw you sound like a decent boss.
  • bugslet
    Options
    Stylehutz wrote: »
    Tell you what, in a company which doesnt have 100 per cent Union membership, let the non Union members sign a declaration that they wont get the same rights and benefits as the paid up Union members. For example, if management gives all workers a 1per cent pay increase and its then negotiated to a 3 per cent increase with 2 extra days holiday a year and compassionate leave. The not Union members can have their 1 per cent and 2 less days holiday and no compassionate leave.

All sorted

And presumably all sorted if union members get 3% and an extra two days and non union get 5% , three days and cakes on their birthday.
  • scd3scd4
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    And presumably all sorted if union members get 3% and an extra two days and non union get 5% , three days and cakes on their birthday.

That does not happen where I work. We would all get the same. The differences is non members get no input. Like I said before. We changed out start and finish times..........I have no idea what non members think about it or if they agreed with the new T&C and over-time rates.
  • bugslet
    Options
    Who said abusing. People break legs, get cancer and have heart surgery. .

btw you sound like a decent boss.

Absolutely, but as we both know, there are people who do abuse it, even if they are in a minority.

My work is complex and we can go through some bad years and good years. In the bad years, I can't afford to pay full pay. In the good years I possibly could.....but then there's the bad years. I'm upfront with the lads, go get yourself some insurance, I did it when I was the lowest paid and still do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure