is it worth joining a union?

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    That does not happen where I work. We would all get the same. The differences is non members get no input. Like I said before. We changed out start and finish times..........I have no idea what non members think about it or if they agreed with the new T&C and over-time rates.

Scd, I wouldn't have said that to you but my opinion of stylehutz is probably where yours is of Mr Ainsworth;)

Anyway, I'm going to retire from the thread now and go and pootle in the garden.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Scd3 - owning shares changes our position - there comes a point when workers have to think more about their pension/investments than their salary - if you have shares you want your company to succeed, perhaps at the expense of the workers

Government top ups are a perversion, if they didn't exist companies would be forced to pay more to keep their staff alive, however there would be fewer jobs. Tax credits are a subsidy for the employer and the value of that needs to be considered, although I suppose that while we have a benefits system the government would've had to pay these people anyway.

Although government welfare isn't really necessary since employees could insure themselves, and perhaps ought to have some insurance for that

Maternity perhaps could be covered by private insurance instead, I imagine it is a pain in the employer's butt to have to cover the absence, perhaps insurance could could cover agency costs too, although if the job is hard to replace agency might not be good enough and the employer might more naturally want to hold onto the staff

I think father's should be liable for this insurance at least as much
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    And presumably all sorted if union members get 3% and an extra two days and non union get 5% , three days and cakes on their birthday.

But they would get the 1 per cent as agreed with management
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport