Hit and run driver-Can police withhold info?

Options

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    https://www.acro.police.uk/Subject_Access_FAQs.aspx

Just wondering if a SAR to police regarding the information they have held on file about you and this subject would bypass a £130 fee and replace it with a £10.00 fee instead.

How’s that going to help?
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you sure the car you have now seen which has no damage is definitely the same car that hit you and fled the scene. Is it possible you got one letter out of the three at the end of the plate wrong. This could very likely result in a match on make model and colour without being the same car.

If police attend the registered keeper and find no signs of impact to the car and the owner says he was not at the location and has not had a collision what else can they do. There is no evidence to verify it was this car.

The insurers of the other car are likely to take the same view unless you have independent evidence it was this car.

The other extremely remote possibility is the car that hit you was using cloned plates from the car you have now seen in an undamaged state. If this is the case the insurers have no liability as they do not insure the car that actually hit you even though it is displaying the insured registration.
  • richard-
    richard- Posts: 147 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2018 at 7:05PM
    Options
    Like you my car also was involved in a hit and run earlier this year when i parked my car on a quiet residential street for 1 hour.

I had a dash cam but it did not record the incident however I did have CCTV evidence. The police failed to recover this in time from the establishment and I didn't get a registration plate, I had to fork out my excess. I was unable to claim the excess back from MIB due to not knowing the plate of the other driver. The insurance also could not get anywhere with the police.

My claim was £3500. Hope your insurance NCB is protected. I tried to claim using legal assistance against the police, however the insurance informed me I couldn't claim against the police. Seems you can commit a criminal offence and the police are not bothered in the UK, they are more interested in other petty offences.
    Audi - Vorsprung durch Technik :D
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    richard- wrote: »
    Like you my car also was involved in a hit and run earlier this year when i parked my car on a quiet residential street for 1 hour.

I had a dash cam but it did not record the incident however I did have CCTV evidence. The police failed to recover this in time from the establishment and I didn't get a registration plate, I had to fork out my excess. I was unable to claim the excess back from MIB due to not knowing the plate of the other driver. The insurance also could not get anywhere with the police.

My claim was £3500. Hope your insurance NCB is protected. I tried to claim using legal assistance against the police, however the insurance informed me I couldn't claim against the police. Seems you can commit a criminal offence and the police are not bothered in the UK, they are more interested in other petty offences.

Claim for what? They weren’t liable for the damage.
  • richard-
    richard- Posts: 147 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2018 at 9:20PM
    Options
    Claim for what? They weren!!!8217;t liable for the damage.

They should have investigated the incident, and they did not. The insurance was unable to get the footage from the site, (they had to request it via the police). But it had been overwritten by the time they visited even though the incident was reported on the day it happened.
    Audi - Vorsprung durch Technik :D
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    richard- wrote: »
    For not going to the site who had the CCTV to request the evidence.

And what were you intending to claim for that?
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.acro.police.uk/Subject_Access_FAQs.aspx

Just wondering if a SAR to police regarding the information they have held on file about you and this subject would bypass a £130 fee and replace it with a £10.00 fee instead.

Since GDPR day there is no fee allowed for SAR’s.
  • lsc297
    lsc297 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 14 June 2018 at 9:37AM
    Options
    Hi,
    failing to stop at the scene of an accident is an offence punishable with between 5-10 points The Road Traffic Act 1988 (section 170) .So you are quite entitled to ask the police for an update; if they mess you about, you are entitled to file a formal complaint.

Did the police supply you with a Crime Ref No. or log number?
    If you have this, the other insurer will be obliged to make enquires. Moreover, a court will hold it as evidence, in the absence of any other deciding factors.
    You should supply this inforamtion to your insurer. If the police have not issued one, call them up & ask. They are obliged to supply one- its not an option.
    I hope this helps.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lsc297 wrote: »
    Hi,
    failing to stop at the scene of an accident is an offence punishable with between 5-10 points.Sop you are quite entitled to ask the police for an update; if they mess you about, you are entitled to file a formal complaint.

Did the police supply you with a Crime Ref No. or log number?
    If you have this, the other insurer will be obliged to make enquires. Moreover, a court will hold it as evidence, in the absence of any other deciding factors.
    You should supply this inforamtion to your insurer. If the police have not issued one, call them up & ask. They are obliged to supply one- its not an option.
    I hope this helps.

You’re not helping, there will be no crime number for faking to stop since it’s not a recordable crime.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2018 at 11:23AM
    Options
    That is awful. Can't understand why he was not prosecuted at least for the hit and run. Lack of resources I expect

They said two days later there was no point visiting him by then as he'd have sobered up. As far as the insurance went he refused to accept liability and it went 50/50.

Our main concern wasn't so much the insurance, it was the he was going to drive off thinking he was in the right, have another morning vodka session and then kill someone.

Another elderly male driver round the corner swerved onto the pavement, missed a pregnant woman with a push chair and a toddler in it by about 3 centimetres, swerved back onto the road and drove straight into the back of a parked car.

A load of our neighbours ran out to help him out of what was left of his car and he was so drunk he literally couldn't stand up. He went off in an ambulance.

3 weeks later he claimed he was never in the car and it was someone else. Police lost interest again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure