Hit and run driver-Can police withhold info?

Options

Comments

• scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dash cam would be unlikely to help with this unless you could see who was driving clearly enough.

The only option I can see and it is a very long shot, is if you can find out where the car was repaired and if the mechanic is willing to be a witness. As I say, very long shot but I can sympathise with the OP.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dash cam would be unlikely to help with this unless you could see who was driving clearly enough.

Doesn't have to see the driver, only the car with the registration - if the owner at the time hasn't reported it stolen or in use by someone else then the balance of probabilities would side with the one with the footage of the accident...unless his argument was aliens or gremlins must of done it.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get one with rear and front facing cameras and you have a good chance of getting the driver's face in the shot.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My wife was getting into her brother's van outside our house when a car drove straight into the open door and smashed it into her leg.

Her brother ran after the vehicle which, eventually, stopped and was revealed to be driven by an elderly man stinking of alcohol at ten in the morning.

It was reported to the police who did absolutely nothing. His insurance also had no interest in pursuing the other driver.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

Well, finally got the ltr from Police to say they are not going to prosecute due to no evidence. Had they gone out swiftly after being informed, they would have seen the damage to both cars.
    My car has now been repaired through my insurance at a cost of 2k.

As people have mentioned above, the 3rd party has denied being involved. As the other driver is local (I now have drivers details on the ltr from Police) I have walked past their house and they have now had their car repaired.

I do not have legal cover:mad: on my insurance

I have contacted the other ins. co. who have sent an engineer out to view their client's car but are refusing to tell me what the outcome was, even though I gave permission for them to view my car prior to having the damage repaired. My ins co. just say they are chasing the other co. but have not, as yet, received any reply.

The police also want me to pay £130 to see a copy of their report!! I am a victim of a crime (hit and run), why should victims have to pay to see this report?

Anyway, I assume that as there were no witnesses, that the other party can just deny being involved and get away with it.

Does anyone have any experience on taking this sort of case through Small Claims Court? Would I just be looking to claim for my XS, or the huge increase in my premium, or, the amount of the damage (to be repaid back to insurance co)?

I think this would be an absolute waste of time but just so angry!!!

Why should they produce a copy free of charge? It’s the same report your insurance company get.
  • SnowWhiterThanWhite
    Options
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    I can think of an option, but its not legal or advised....

With no witnesses you will not get anywhere I am afraid - put your trust in karma.

You could get yourself a dash cam, too late for this one but maybe it will pay for itself in the future.
    Thanks. Yes, installed a dash cam now!
    "Hope for the Best
    Prepare for the worst"
  • SnowWhiterThanWhite
    Options
    Arklight wrote: »
    My wife was getting into her brother's van outside our house when a car drove straight into the open door and smashed it into her leg.

Her brother ran after the vehicle which, eventually, stopped and was revealed to be driven by an elderly man stinking of alcohol at ten in the morning.

It was reported to the police who did absolutely nothing. His insurance also had no interest in pursuing the other driver.
    That is awful. Can't understand why he was not prosecuted at least for the hit and run. Lack of resources I expect
    "Hope for the Best
    Prepare for the worst"
  • SnowWhiterThanWhite
    Options
    Why should they produce a copy free of charge? It’s the same report your insurance company get.

I personally don't feel it is acceptable for a victim to have to pay to see the details of any investigation. Surely, the police have a duty of care to the victim and as such, should be helping not hindering.
    "Hope for the Best
    Prepare for the worst"
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I personally don't feel it is acceptable for a victim to have to pay to see the details of any investigation. Surely, the police have a duty of care to the victim and as such, should be helping not hindering.

The will help but they won!!!8217;t produce the report for free. Ask your insurance company for it and get them to work for free.

The report won!!!8217;t contain anything you don!!!8217;t already know or can!!!8217;t find out for far less than what they!!!8217;re asking.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    https://www.acro.police.uk/Subject_Access_FAQs.aspx

Just wondering if a SAR to police regarding the information they have held on file about you and this subject would bypass a £130 fee and replace it with a £10.00 fee instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure