Sell your gold - guide discussion

Options

Comments

• goldealers
    goldealers Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 15 March 2013 at 10:48AM
    Options
    Not all traders are ruthless, we have plenty of examples where we have alerted our customers to the fact that they have white gold when they thought they were selling silver, or 22ct gold when they thought it was 9ct as per testimonial on freeindex below.

"No need to look any further for an honest, efficient service for selling your old gold. I had not realised that some of the gold I sent was 22 ct. [removed company name] informed me and I was offered more than the intial estimate. A good price which I accepted and the money was in my account almost immediately."

But this is a very good point... We receive parcels every day in the post where customers state that they are not sure of the weight or carat. Some think their .25ct diamonds are cz. Now whilst i can vouch for ourselves, many other traders may not be so honest.

It is the responsiblility of the seller to know what they are selling, but moreso of the buyer not to abuse their position of industry expertise to defraud or take advantage.

removed company name freeindex review because we are not advertising our services.
    mattydean wrote: »
    The traders are ruthless and will not tell you if you are selling them 18ct up etc if you think its 9ct

You lose 30-50% profit if you dont know what you karat and weight your gold is

youtube : Gold Testing (What Gold Buyers Don't Want You to Know!)

4 traders in Hatton Garden would have easily bought my 18ct chain as 9ct

Including Gerrards 'who were also very curt when I asked for my gold back' saying that "they normally deal with trade who know the price of gold and dont value it first"
    Liars ......

Know your weight carat and current price per gram.

Know your stuff and dont get robbed blind like 1000's of people do
  • jaks111
    jaks111 Posts: 570 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i have some gold i want to sell where is the best place in birmingham thanks
  • vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 March 2013 at 8:46PM
    Options
    Firstly, The Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham is well marked and easy to get to from the ring road. [EDIT: Just seen you are in Birmingham, so not hard to visit!!]

Try calling in at 3 places but as said here before know the weight of your metal (easiest in grams if you are confused with Troy oz) and know the carat (purity, if possible)

A great deal of jewellery with small stones, is really only worth the weight in the scrap price. Removing the stones is highly technical and involves a hammer/ and/or pliers ! ;) BUT get the whole piece and the stones checked first before destroying anything.

Find someone like myself local to you who will pay up to 98% of the metal price as they want to keep it, not sell it straight away.

BTW, IF someone knows my home address somehow, ALL purchases are sent off to a non-UK Mainland safe storage on the day of purchase and are never in my home!!!

Many gold coins such as sovereigns have a premium value due to year of issue coupled with quality....don't be fooled that they are all worth £x00 today. There are fake sovereigns and Krugers doing the rounds at the moment, so Ebay is no longer a safe place to buy gold coins unless from someone well accredited!

If you consider BUYING any quantity of gold or jewellery as a way of saving invest in the best scales you can afford, a decent diamond tester and professional gold testing equipment. This might cost you at least £500 BUT you won't get caught by false hallmarks or Cubic Zircona or a duff Krugerrand!

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • dad_researcher
    Options
    I have a small amount of broken gold (also a dental gold cap) but have no idea what carat it may be, not a large amount, but I don't want to get ripped off either. All the postal sites I have looked at seem to need you to know exactly what you are sending, are there any reputable postal sites that give you a good deal but you can send stuff off without knowing what it is?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • timeou
    timeou Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have to say I had a very good experience with Hatton Garden Metals - I had a lot of broken gold and silver - some things were unmarked and i had no idea what was real or not. I phoned the company first and explained and they said to write 'quote' on the paperwork and they would get back to me with details of the parcel.
    I weighed it at home first and they got back to me 2 hours after receiving the gold with a weight far higher than I had given them and they weighed everything out separately so i could see exactly what i had there.
    Their turnaround time was extremely quick and I had a very good price paid straight into my bank for my bag of bits!

I would have no hesitation using them again - i think there are lots fo very positive reviews on here for them x
  • ejr2403
    ejr2403 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 19 March 2013 at 12:03AM
    Options
    jaks111 wrote: »
    i have some gold i want to sell where is the best place in birmingham thanks

IMO the best companies in the jewellery Quarter are Lois,Jewellery Birmingham Gold Company, and Scrap Gold UK......Simples!! These companies I believe have visitors from all over the UK. It's worth travelling to get the best price.
    The rest are mainly either VAT trade only or retail jewellers.
  • Gamegal
    Gamegal Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've a beautiful 14ct gold necklace weighing 37.1gr verified by a few jewellers. According to http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/ I should expect £704.21 from them.

However, I've been told this company gives a better price. Anyone dealt with it please? It's not on Martin's list.

http://www.manchestergoldcompany.co.uk/
  • real_ale_madrid
    Options
    I went to 4 local places with a 9ct gold medallion, 2 'we buy gold' places and 2 jewellers. Got offered £50, £55, £50 and the worst £40 (at a we buy gold, should read 'we rip you off' ) Took it to Newcastle Jewellers, Newcastle on Tyne where I usually took gold until I moved down here to the North West and was offered £77, more or less 50% more than the other 4.!! You will always get the best price there. Its on Pilgrim St in Newcastle on Tyne City centre, Green sign on the outside.
  • real_ale_madrid
    Options
    PS It should read Newcastle Jewellery Company, There is a website just google it, this forum will not let me post it
  • Gamegal
    Gamegal Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went to 4 local places with a 9ct gold medallion, 2 'we buy gold' places and 2 jewellers. Got offered £50, £55, £50 and the worst £40 (at a we buy gold, should read 'we rip you off' ) Took it to Newcastle Jewellers, Newcastle on Tyne where I usually took gold until I moved down here to the North West and was offered £77, more or less 50% more than the other 4.!! You will always get the best price there. Its on Pilgrim St in Newcastle on Tyne City centre, Green sign on the outside.

Just looked at their website & they are quoting they pay £18.00 per gram on 14ct gold, Hatton Garden Metals say they give £18.98!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback