Simba mattress

Options

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    newmover wrote: »
    how do you think mattresses get to your local mattress / bed shop?

do you really believe all matresses are rolled up?

I know mine hasnt been
  • photome
    Options
    It's usual for most mattresses to soften on the parts you normally sleep on, but it shouldn't be developing a noticeable difference in the height.

Good quality mattresses come in a big plastic bag, laid flat, because they're too big and too rigid to roll up! As a general rule of thumb, the heavier it is the better the quality. But all that really matters is whether you're comfortable on it.

I dont know how it cant, if 2 people sleep on a king size mattress there is quite a large area in the middle which never gets used even when turning and rotating the mattress, doesnt it stand to reason it will stay firmer and therefore slightly higher than the rest of the mattress
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd love to see how anyone could roll up a thick, heavy, pocket sprung mattress.

Most, "normal", mattresses are not delivered to shops rolled up.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    I'd love to see how anyone could roll up a thick, heavy, pocket sprung mattress.

I’m so glad I’m not going crazy!
  • askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    doesnt it stand to reason it will stay firmer and therefore slightly higher than the rest of the mattress
    Firmer yes, higher no - at least, not for a good quality mattress. The areas that get use will soften, but they should still pop up when you get off the mattress, because the springs should keep their shape. Unless you're very heavy or the mattress is cheaply made, you shouldn't be seeing a ridge.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • Alisha2008
    Alisha2008 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »

I can be done by extracting all the air, but once unrolled its impossible to roll it back. Ikea sprung mattressses come rolled up but once unrolled they are impossible even to bend.
  • photome
    Options
    Alisha2008 wrote: »
    I can be done by extracting all the air, but once unrolled its impossible to roll it back. Ikea sprung mattressses come rolled up but once unrolled they are impossible even to bend.

wont be buying a mattress from ikea then if that is the case

I doubt they are impossible to bend
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Worked in furniture retail for many years and never had a rolled up matress delivered.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    all double/king size mattresses will be higher in the middle after a time , unless you sleep in the middle of it

I sleep on my own in a double bed. My matress is over five years old and is still as flat as a pancake. Was around £500 for the matress if that makes any difference. I also have a four inch layer of foam on top of the matress, again if that makes a difference.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • Moglex
    Moglex Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    Options
    The reason some mattresses can be rolled up is because of the way they are manufactured, not the quality.

Mattresses that are made of foam can have all the air removed, then be rolled and packed sealed.

This makes transportation and storage cheaper.

I have a friend who has had an Ikea memory foam mattress for years. It came rolled up, and is now in exactly the same state as it was when it first inflated. No depressions or soft spots whatsoever.

My Simba is also unchanged, but I have only had that months, not years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure