Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    - Chorley BS new accounts added to post 7 - paying 2.25% on £250 per month until 31st May 2019 for new customers (from anywhere in the UK) and 2.5% for existing customers (please note these accounts are not available until 1st June but you can see the details now)

Good find, but their website says
    Regular Saver (new members) 2.5% on up to £250 pm.
    Members RS 2.75% on up to £350 pm.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 May 2018 at 12:06PM
    Options
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    And it isn't operated online - only post or branch according to
    http://www.chorleybs.co.uk/Files/rc1/rsa.pdf#zoom=auto

"The Society's products can be opened and managed in branch or by post, please refer to the Society's Savings Accounts Terms and Conditions."
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 May 2018 at 12:17PM
    Options
    AirlieBird wrote: »

But first page on here needs the rates correcting please SS
  • Hi all. Looking for some help. Noob question!

Going to save £800/month
    Lower rate tax payer
    No existing savings
    No debt
    Ideally easy access but would look at 1yr options
    Don't mind some risk
    Have a couple of £k to open the account
    Not looking to buy a home

Just switched to a new current account so they're not an option.

Looking at the site, think I should go with one of the ~1.3% east access savers.

Any better options out there?

Many thanks.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
  • wadingthroughthesea
    Options
    Thanks for replying.

They're mostly linked to current accounts which aren't an option for me as I've just switched elsewhere.

They're also capped at £250/month so I'd still need a place for the other £550/month.
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for replying.

They're mostly linked to current accounts which aren't an option for me as I've just switched elsewhere.

They're also capped at £250/month so I'd still need a place for the other £550/month.

Nothing to stop you from having more than one current account and more than one regular saver with different providers.
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    You can open more than one current account, which would give you access to the regular savers.

More than one regular saver would use up your £800 per month.

Even if you can't deposit all of the £800 in a regular saver, you would still earn more interest on the portion that you could than in an easy access savings account.

The biggest barrier to you achieving higher interest rates is your own willingness (or not) to managing the money in multiple accounts.

There is no risk involved in saving (other than the erosion of value caused by inflation). If you are looking at products with some risk, then you would be looking at investments, but in the situation that you describe, you are not yet in a safe position to begin investing. Build up your cash reserves first so that they cover at least three (and beter still, six) months of outgoings.
  • wadingthroughthesea
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Looking at the linked current accounts that you need to have, they seem to require that you fully switch to them or have £1k incoming/2 direct debits outgoing?

I can only meet those requirements for my existing current account.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 May 2018 at 2:11PM
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Looking at the linked current accounts that you need to have, they seem to require that you fully switch to them or have £1k incoming/2 direct debits outgoing?

I can only meet those requirements for my existing current account.
    Which current account(s) do you have?

Nationwide have a 5% regular saver for £250 per month that requires a Flexdirect current account but no direct debits or monthly pay-in.

The Flexdirect current account also pays 5% on up to £2,500 in the current account for one year and that requires a monthly pay in of £1,000. But you can pay this is from another current account and then transfer this back to where it came from.

First Direct pay 5% on their regular saver if you have a First Direct current account but that does not require any monthly pay in. You do though need to open an easy access saver which I did and just put £1 in.

The banks all have slightly different conditions so it is worth checking each one.

PS: For clarification, to qualify for the First Direct regular saver you need to satisfy one of several conditions. One is to pay in £1,000 every month but another merely requires that you have a savings account other than the regular saver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure