Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Thanks Earthie, that's good to know.

Today has been mega-busy workwise (isn't it always the case just before going away??!). Despite another poor night of sleep, I've managed to maintain focus and crack on, so I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself. Am looking forward to catching up on some TV later with the end of the bottle of wine (it's got to be finished before we go away!).

Also managed to squeeze in getting DH's car's air con regassed (it's only taken several years!), so while not MSE or particularly environmentally friendly, if it's diabolically hot when we're away the black leather interior (not our choice!) won't scorch our bums! :D

Posted the first test piece for RM survey - and c*cked it up.... hmm... hopefully that won't be the end of the world. :o

MS things:
    * PA bonus paid for a survey I did ages ago - tipped me over payout - £26 winging its way to me :)
    * NV balance has been reduced, so presumably also winging its way to me :)
    * VB poll, MS rw (sooooo close now!) and SBs (getting there) done. VB will pay out in this month's run too - why do these all seem to have come at once? It'll be long slog now!
    * Dinner using up stores
    * Ooh, my 'free' loo roll arrived :rotfl:

Gratitudes:
    * Sunshine - great for my posting walk and drying the washing :)
    * The feeling of progress having been made
    * Cats being entertaining when wedging themselves into spots just to maximise exposure to sunshine!

Have a good evening all, I know I'm looking forward to it!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sunshine tetris! Wonderful! And you managed to get your own work done, great stuff.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Options
    Crumpets - so sorry, I didn't see your post! Thanks for the thoughts and the dodgy hug ;) I have to say, I'm feeling a bit relieved that we're going away for a couple weeks - fingers crossed Nan will have settled down by the time we get back and visits will be pleasanter experience. It sounds like it must have been very distressing with your Grandad. :(

Love that you used the paper for Christmas wrapping - I'll so be doing that too :D

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Options
    Morning all,

I had to take DH to the station this morning for 7 as he has a meeting in the big smoke, so I've been up hours (and it feels like it.... elevenses soon!). I've baked two loaves, made flapjack (using naff maple syrup from Al*i - it was rubbish on pancakes, so figure it might be better used like this!), descaled the kettle, refreshed the water jug (charcoal filters boiled) and done a load of washing, now on the line. Scrap elevenses, I think it's time for bed! I'm pleased with what I've achieved though, as some of the jobs were 'nice to have dones' before going away - and I know if I get to the weekend I won't want to do them then.

MS things:
    * Didn't go to work at coffee shop this morning after dropping DH off - tempting though it was
    * MS rewards (determined to cash out today - only a few points)
    * Cheap date night tonight with PE vouchers
    * RM survey to post - I won't get it wrong today!
    * Engineer coming to sort something on DH's car that they should have done when they first came - DH rang expecting a battle and there wasn't one :T

Gratitudes:
    * Free pizza tonight - looking forward to it :)
    * DH's train wasn't cancelled - a miracle around here at the moment....
    * Natural sleeping tablets - had some last night and I definitely feel better for them today (as evidenced by all the jobs done!)

Better crack on with work now - with any luck I'll be done by midday tomorrow.

• themadvix
    Options
    Morning all,

Super quick update today as I have *so* much to get done today.

I don't appear to have been paid my T$B interest this month - has this happened to anyone else? I did the money shuffle as normal and normally the interest is paid on 3rd.

MS things:
    * £5.14 from NW rewards transferred to Moving pot :)
    * £10 MS rw Pizza voucher claimed - spent last night but DH still has his
    * have just done a survey that I think means I'll be receiving some free dishwasher tabs.... who knows when they'll turn up then, we'll be away!
    * RM survey stuff received and processed

Gratitudes:
    * Great date night last night - DH had been to an event at which the Mars expedition company owner was talking - provided great food for thought!
    * Hm flapjack - it's a bit crumbly with the maple syrup, but after a bad night's sleep last night, I'm about to really appreciate the sugar boost
    * A good Brownie assistant - the other leader is unable to come tonight, but had reassurance that all will be well from our trustworthy, reliable and steadfast helper! :)

Catch y'all later, if I get everything done!

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    Morning all,
    :hello: Morning!
    * Great date night last night - DH had been to an event at which the Mars expedition company owner was talking - provided great food for thought!
    :j:j:j

I see Robert Zubrin is on the advisory board! Practicality allied with technical nouse is a wonderful thing. I'd definitely have volunteered to be amongst the first ones, the ones for whom it would be a one-way trip.

Have a great time away, you'll be away for Midsummer's Day too, it'll be brilliant :beer:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I couldn't bear the thought of never seeing planet Earth again! :eek:

TMV - I don't mean to be rude - but did you definitely meet the two prerequisites for the month? I never got interest either, but I checked and I forgot to do my £500 shuffle through the account last month :mad:
  • themadvix
    edited 8 June 2018 at 2:34PM
    Options
    Ed - totally with you, there's no way I could leave forever! (Nor DH fortunately!)

I definitely shuffled and checked the dates, beginning of the month (rather than end of month before or anything). What's the other prerequisite? I'm sure that's all I normally do (no DDs needed?). Not rude at all - all help is appreciated!

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're right, is just £500, mixing up with H@lifac
  • themadvix
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm sorry I rather disappeared suddenly - I did mean to come back before my hols, but time and to-do lists just took over in the end.

We've had a lovely time away - lots of walking, ice creams and cake and even some cycling :eek: It was wonderful and very relaxing. We probably spent a bit more than we should have but actually having just sorted through the credit cards, it's nothing that won't be sorted this month.

*Cautionary tale* - we both found ourselves the target of ticks while we were walking on holiday - fortunately we caught them on the same day and removed them, but while I often think when walking through long grass that I must check for ticks, this was the first time I ever actually remembered to do so! Remember to check for ticks! I really don't fancy Lyme disease or (where we were) tick-borne encephalitis. \End cautionary tale

While I'm not really looking forward to the return to reality tomorrow, we're fully refreshed and ready to get back to our thrifty ways. I've signed up for the Frugalwoods Uber Frugal Month - I've only just discovered the blog, but it seems like we could learn a lot from the Frugalwoods. DH has had a read of the preparation stuff too, so hopefully we'll be able to make some progress this month.

MS things:
    * T$B did eventually pay my interest - on 20th June! Transferred to savings
    * Cheque from NV received, will pay that in during the week
    * RM survey stuff all prepped for this week
    * VB and PA also paid
    * Made extensive use of the free public transport for tourists on holiday :)
    * £1.91 cashback claimed from TCB
    * Used £7 off voucher for takeaway for anniversary meal (which will do tonight's dinner too)
    * 10% discount on cattery for paying in cash (£25 saved! Cats are expensive!)

I need to do a cupboard inventory and meal plan for this week. The fridge part will be easy - there's fruit and cheese (hypermarket stop on way back from hols!) and that's all that's in it!

Gratitudes:
    * A wonderfully relaxing holiday
    * Glorious weather
    * Amazing food - the simple stuff was best - fresh un-plastic-wrapped strawberries :T and cherries, fresh bread and croissants every day and cheap but high-quality apple juice (and yoghurt in glass jars :D )
    * Not worrying about the cats, knowing they were safe at the cattery
    * A lovely husband, who I married 6 years ago yesterday (sorry, vomit-inducing soppiness is over now)

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback