Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,916 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Morning all!

Well yesterday was rather warm, wasn't it? We pottered around at home. DH cut lawns, did some car bits and other gardening. I stayed inside as much as possible as the hayfever was horrendous. I did make the rhubarb cordial that Fortune recommended - delicious! And a very tasty crumble from the leftovers, as well as bread. Still don't feel I achieved a huge amount, but that's fine by me - it's very rare we have a weekend without either something specific to go and do or intentions of loads of house/car work.... so it was nice to sit and relax for a bit. I did spend though - £2.49 on some ice cream to go with the crumble. Also ordered cat food, but used DH's Am credit (built up from taking up various offers recently), so zero actual cost. (In hindsight should have used Co0p credit to get the ice cream, then it could have been a technical NSD!

We had a curry plate for dinner, with most bits from the freezer, but I made daal, and enough to freeze some to take on holiday with us. Tonight I'm doing the same with a bolognese. We'll eat out some of the time but when we eat in when abroad it can get tricky (and usually reverts to pasta and sauce) as the foreign supermarkets aren't as keen on stocking veggie stuff (and I don't need to buy a whole bag of lentils when away!). So we're going to take a couple of frozen bits (we're driving) that will defrost as we travel and keep in the fridge for a couple of days. Both MSE and tastier than 'pasta and sauce' (which I'm sure will feature!).

Today I have a new assignment to work on that is fairly urgent. But it's from one of my lovely clients and for one of her lovely clients and is interesting to do. :) And no naughty Americans to disturb until tonight! :)

MS things:
    * DH has redeemed a Pizza Exp voucher from MS rewards, which will go nicely with his free one from the app, so we'll need to go out for dinner some time soon
    * I'm close to cashout on MS rw too.
    * SBs and VB poll
    * 50p YG survey
    * Comps entered (only the ones I get on a Monday digest)
    * Utilities sorted!
    * Plastic-free loo roll subscription signed up for with benefit of a couple of free samples. After a cost comparison with the stuff we use, it worked out at 1.5p/100 sheets more expensive and is delivered free.... I think they're severely overestimating how much we use (48 rolls every 16 weeks!), but allow you to adjust delivery, so we'll see how it goes. Have checked quality as zero-waste shop was selling samples (they said to buy direct as they don't get a wholesale price). (Sorry, all this talk of loo roll might be turning this diary a bit Tilly-esque!)

Gratitudes:
    * DH for all his hard work in the gardens yesterday - they look a whole lot better!
    * Recipe recommendations on here - three recipes (2 dinner and the cordial) yesterday came from fellow MSErs :D
    * That Nan is doing a bit better :)

Have a good day all, I'd better crack on with work now!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All sounding wonderful, madvix, and taking along a few bits of food to defrost and use for the first few days is exactly what we do when self catering. Sounds like you've got things really well under control.

If you've got time, could you put up a linkie to the plastic-free loo roll thing? That would be great.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Options
    Hey Karma, it's here. Definitely 'free' as per Martin's definition (i.e. in quotes you have to spend something!). It seems that it works out for me. Might work for you as it's delivered, so saves carrying it. I'm sure it's not the cheapest, but we buy WR recycled stuff, and it's rarely on offer (nothing I buy ever is, it seems!), so extra cost is bearable...

I'm glad it's not just me - I was a bit worried about the defrosting side of things! I don't think we'll have an oven (static caravan and then a fancy tent - definitely no oven there), so easy meals like egg and chips are probably out.

58p TT to savings :D

Ooh, and I updated my signature... at last! :rotfl:

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Options
    Thanks! I think the holiday might do for my signing up for that ... I don't have the headspace to think about it clearly either right now :o I've been working on the computer or chasing after Sainsbo and my plumber, and my head's going to explode if I don't get into the garden :p
    You could always fry your chips without an oven :D
  • themadvix
    Options
    Karma - I expect there'll be other offers on in the future. I can totally understand that you haven't got the head space to sort it right now.... I don't actually know if the trial stuff will arrive before we go away!! (And as I'm typing I've realised that I already have a small stockpile of loo roll, whoops!)

Not sure about frying the chips, but beginning to think that fried tatties is the way to go! :D

• themadvix
    edited 5 June 2018 at 12:06PM
    Options
    Morning, morning,

Went to see Nan with Dad last night. She is *not* a happy bunny. Good things from visit: Dad was really impressed by the home; Nan is very much more alert and with it than she has been in ages.... Bad things: Nan is very much more alert and with it than she has been in ages!! :rotfl: She was very rude to me: it's the illness and I don't take it to heart, but it does make visiting very stressful - nerves beforehand, wound up afterwards (and a very short visit). I just hope the memories fade and she relaxes

Unfortunately, between that and the cuppa with Dad after to recover, I didn't sleep all that well. I have a long to-do list today, so I really need to be able to focus. If it doesn't all get done today it won't be the end of the world.

MS things:
    * SBs, Ms rw; VB
    * PA surveys - several, nearly at self-imposed payout level :)
    * 1P surveys too - go me!
    * RM survey stuff packed and ready to send tomorrow (stamps came with survey pack :) )

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely cuddles with cats in bed this morning
    * Knowing that Nan is not really meaning what she's saying
    * Catch-up TV - I know the mandarin ducks on Springwatch probably left the nest last night (FB), but missed seeing it! Will check it out later :)

Have a good day all!

• Karmacat
    Options
    That's very, very tough for you with your Nan, madvix, even though you know she doesn't mean it.

Several distant family members had dementia of one sort or another, but the only one I had much contact with was my dad, and we were very lucky that he kept his real personality, which is very kind-hearted. You've got lots of rellies in it with you from the sound of it, and those are the people to share the details with, I'm sure.

Hope you can focus for the rest of the day, take care of you.
  • themadvix
    Options
    Thanks Karma - I've edited some of that out.

• earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Pleased that your nan is doing a wee bit better. I remember taking mine and she hated me and it. Then she was fine. Fingers crossed for you x
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Crumpets
    Crumpets Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    Options
    So sorry to read about your Nan MV, it sounds like she is in the best place and getting the care she needs. The visits sound distressing though. My grandad also suffered from dementia and had to go in a home, he kept packing his suitcase to go home, it was heart breaking. Big hugs :grouphug:

Re the loo roll. We've been using WGAC since before Christmas and I'm really pleased with it. The Christmas rolls also came in lovely wrapping which I then used to wrap presents :rotfl:
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,927.6
    Mortgage Feb 2019 £78,323.18
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport