To go with Sky Broadband or not?

Options
Hi there
I’m really hoping for some help with a question I have about ISP 🙂,
So I have virgin media as my ISP,but I’m looking at changing,I’ve been looking at maybe moving to sky for my ISP and have been looking into reviews, what I've read hasn’t been good at Sky Broadband, just wanted to see what people thought of broadband with sky on this forum as I’m confused by the reviews I’ve read considering I’ve had Sky Tv for many years now and never had any problems and if there has been problems they have also helped, thank you for any reply given to my question 😊

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    I used to have Sky broadband and they were pretty good at fixing the two faults I had in all the years I was with them.

Would have used them for my new place but got a better deal elsewhere, but service wise I had no complaints.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• harmony802005
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply , I’m just so confused why there are so many negative reviews for sky broadband, just nervous at changing my ISP, but I’ve kinda had enough of virgin media but don’t want to change to a ISP that is worse then Virgin media 😕, thank you again for your reply 🙂
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We have sky broadband, it’s very good and over the past 5 years have had very little problem with them. I think most people’s issue is the price of the packages they offer (I confess I do get miffed off as £63 a month is quiet a chunk of money) but not a bad company to deal with
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi there
    I’m really hoping for some help with a question I have about ISP 🙂,
    So I have virgin media as my ISP,but I’m looking at changing,I’ve been looking at maybe moving to sky for my ISP and have been looking into reviews, what I've read hasn’t been good at Sky Broadband, just wanted to see what people thought of broadband with sky on this forum as I’m confused by the reviews I’ve read considering I’ve had Sky Tv for many years now and never had any problems and if there has been problems they have also helped, thank you for any reply given to my question 😊

Have a look at reviews for Virgin and you won't be able to move away quick enough :)

It's the nature of online reviews that the majority of people who post have had problems. They may be down to the ISP in question but some I would just put down to trolls and bitter people.

I had Sky BB (still got TV & Mobile with them) and only moved to NowTV (owned by Sky) for price considerations.

The only ISP's I would have reservations about myself would be Talktalk & The Postoffice although even then it's not from personal experience so I may be wrong.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above .
    Customer X has a problem with a product they move .
    Customer Y has the same problem and they will post bad reviews all over the web .
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sky are one of the best.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The broadband itself was fine, but you have to use their modem/router - new customers will get a Sky Q Hub which has dual band 5GHz (802.11ac) and 2.4GHz (802.11n) wifi but only 2 ethernet ports. (There is a new Broadband Hub being rolled out for superfast/GFast with 4 ethernet ports).

(Some people will say you can use another router, but it has to support MER authentication and Sky won't tell you your password.)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • harmony802005
    Options
    Wow Thank you everyone for all the responses to my question 🙂, I’m one of those people’s that really rely on reviews, so reading all the replies have really helped Thank You so all very much 😊 just need to make that leap, always nervous about these things ,I’m a worry wart at the best of times, loan situations like these ,why I’ve probably never changed before but now I think it’s time to say bye bye to Virgin Media 🙈
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The broadband itself was fine, but you have to use their modem/router - new customers will get a Sky Q Hub which has dual band 5GHz (802.11ac) and 2.4GHz (802.11n) wifi but only 2 ethernet ports. (There is a new Broadband Hub being rolled out for superfast/GFast with 4 ethernet ports).

(Some people will say you can use another router, but it has to support MER authentication and Sky won't tell you your password.)

You're a bit behind the times I think, post #5.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=95&t=1774071
    Yes, I've done it, i'm on 40/10 fibre package dumped the Q router and bought a TPlink vr900 https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15...
    Select sky setting in the router on initial setup, In the username field, enter abcdefgh@skydsl
    In the password field, enter 1234567890abcdef

As long as it's MER compliant you'll be fine.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah the new 2 port routers are poor

But thanksfylly you can pick up an old sky router on eBay and plug it in and it works.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure