PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Unwelcome tenant.

Options

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As Dylan Thomas came from Swansea he may have been biased against those from north of the country. Even though "Under Milk Wood" was understood to be set in Laugharne, West Wales, where Thomas lived, it was not very complimentary towards his fellow countrymen.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I always understood the origins of 'Under Milk Wood' to be an early morning walk in New Quay (Not Newquay!) but I was just referring to his play/ story/ poem / whatever as a parody of the way people in small towns and villages in Wales (and elsewhere) have an interest in each other and share gossip etc.

It wasn't meant to be mysterious or deep! :o
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have to judge people on the situation. If he's a convicted sex offender then that is a different set of things to whether he'll look after the house and pay the rent on time.

It needs to be a business decision, not a knee-jerk one.

It'd not bother me if I had a sex offender neighbour - so long as he was "just" the quietly grooming sort ... and not the "breaks into random houses and ferrets them away to his cave" sort, which is a double layer of weird.

So, what sort is he ... and does he pay the rent on time.

They all have to live somewhere .... and most people don't know where. So long as he's not continuing his "ways" local to his home is it really of much more concern to you?

You need to strip the emotion out - it's business - then look at how good he is for your business. Get the facts, not the knee-jerk reactions.

Of course local parents don't wish their kids to live near a p43do ... but if they're parenting them then that's not an issue; they'll be seeing what they do/where they go. But their problem isn't your problem. Your problem is running a business, maintaining cashflow and covering your expenses/mortgage.

Let the law deal with his misdemeanours, however vile they are - do not be part of the lynching party just because "somebody said...."
  • jimbo747
    jimbo747 Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    If it was that serious he'd still be in prison or have restrictions on where he can live. Would rather rent my house out to a bloke caught flashing his nob at people wanting to get his life back on track than a junkie or some benefits swindling Jeremy Kyle type.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jimbo747 wrote: »
    If it was that serious he'd still be in prison or have restrictions on where he can live. Would rather rent my house out to a bloke caught flashing his nob at people wanting to get his life back on track than a junkie or some benefits swindling Jeremy Kyle type.

Well you certainly have a way with words. Most amusing, but I agree with the sentiment. :j
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You wouldnt be the author of "that" blog would you?:eek::eek: That sounds like one of his theme tunes:cool:

EDIT; Whew! One quick google later and I see you mention you used to be a student (ie went to University). That's a relief - as he hasnt been to University ever.

Based on my "huge" personal experience of doing 2 weeks jury service, we had 2 sex offender cases. Both had moved to North Wales when released from a sentence, then moved again a coule of years later and re-offended. It just looked like an odd co-incidence, as if upon release its the place to go.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    J,M wrote: »
    Carried out all the recommended checks on our new tenant, passed with flying colours, but unbeknown to us we rented to a convicted sex offender who has done jail time. Never crossed our minds to ask if he had commited any offense, does anyone request that of potential tenants?

I am taking an awful lot of stick from my neighbours, some of whom have children, and naturally are extremely concerned. I have asked him to vacate but so far no response.

Can I or any authority come to that make him vacate?

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but as I see you have now made your annual return, I thought I would respond ;)

Send me a PM - I 'll provide you details of a rent-a-mob who will be willing to assist you for an appropriate fee :cool:
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    ...then give them notice when the tenancy comes to an end.
    Do be prepared though that he might not want to live.
    I know it's an old thread but that is an extreme reaction to an S21.
  • corell
    Options
    jimbo747 wrote: »
    than a junkie or some benefits swindling Jeremy Kyle type.

This is exactly what we have had move in next door. Junkies and benefits swindlers and it's an absolute nightmare. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't want a !!!!! living next door either! You just never know who is going to move in near you.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    I know it's an old thread but that is an extreme reaction to an S21.

Haha love bumped threads. My error did make me giggle!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure