MSE News: Half a million could lose disability benefits

Options

Comments

• Weary_soul
    Weary_soul Posts: 272 Forumite
    edited 15 May 2012 at 6:55PM
    Options
    I am sure

There's that word again. You may say this but you actually have no idea at all do you? You're not in a position to know what the rest of the country is doing do you?

Where's your facts? Your figures then? I mean have you sent questionnaires out to anyone you suspect of being disabled in your surrounding area.

Good grief.

And talking of facts and figures I saw this very enlightening blog entry regarding that latest Telegraph report on DLA by someone who actually knows their stuff...
    ======
    May 14th 2012 - How Telegraph misled on disability benefits - by Sharon Brennan

Dear Daily Telegraph, ... Here are the basic mistakes in your article:

1. The subheader says IDS is going ahead with changes to DLA to “rid the system of abuse and fraud”. The Government’s own figures show DLA fraud is 0.5% for 2010/11. To start the article as you did just cements the idea in the mind of the public that all disabled people are scroungers and consequently increases disabled hate crime.

2. IDS says the number of claimants have risen by 30%. This isn’t true. According to IDS’s own department, the claimant case has risen by 16% amongst working-age claimants, to whom these changes will only apply, once population growth has been taken into account.

5. “Something like 70 per cent had lifetime awards, (which) meant that once they got it you never looked at them again”. This 70 per cent figure may be true and it is very high, but to suggest that some people should not receive lifetime awards shouldn’t automatically mean that no-one receives lifetime awards. Many claimants have degenerative incurable illnesses such as Parkinson’s or, like me, Cystic fibrosis, or are permanently paralysed. We can’t get better, so if we are found to need help this year then the same will be true in four years time. It is a waste of taxpayer’s money to reassess all claimants every few years.

6. You quote IDS as saying “Tony Blair’s government tried to attack DLA, just to restrict it. We’re not doing that”. Actually IDS is. The Government declared in its Budget 2010 policy costings document that it intends to save 20% from its DLA budget by changing the way it is allocated – this is the very definition of restricting DLA.

• Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Options
    krisskross wrote: »
    How about adding in the housing costs paid if no one works? I am sure many families claiming benefits because of a disabled person receive £20K+ in total benefits. As I said enough to pay for a care home for the disabled person, then the non disabled person is free to work and support themself.

20 k might be true of some but not all.

Working people with families can also claim thousands in tax credits.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    Anubis wrote: »
    20 k might be true of some but not all.

Working people with families can also claim thousands in tax credits.

Nonetheless the cry we always hear is that the taxpayer is being saved so much money. It isn't just a few quid a week DLA but the cost of a single disabled person cared for at home can actually be huge over say a decade. I am not totally convinced about the money saving claimed.
  • Broke_n_Broken
    Broke_n_Broken Posts: 195 Forumite
    edited 15 May 2012 at 9:15PM
    Options
    VT82 wrote: »
    You talk about MP's defending the tax payer with heavy sarcasm. But defending the tax payer is one of their main remits; for them to not attempt to do this just so they can have an easy life by doing what's popular, well, that's the slippery slope that got us in the mess we are in now.

I don't know the ins and outs of the argument, but I think it's important not to jump down their throats when they suggest reviewing something that is potentially very broken, just because it involves the emotive subject of disabled soldiers etc. etc.

The gov's remit is surely to allocate funds effectively & fairly?

MP's are on quite a good salary, yet they get expenses aswell, is this fair?
    Travel to work isn't an "expense" it just....is.
    A lot of people have to keep a second home in London for work, they don't get the tax payer to foot the bill & in most cases it's a "crash pad", MP's get a HOUSE.
    And claiming a TV in the second home as an "expense" is one thing, but a "home entertainment system" is taking the mick!
    What about the Dome? The new (abandoned) NHS computer system? Effective?
    "The mess we're in now" is due to bankers & [STRIKE]corrupt [/STRIKE] blind politicians and not benefit claimants. AND they are still after the "easy life" by going after soft targets.

I know many people, after the farce of being transferred to ESA won't want the hassle of PIP.

I will say (without sarcasm) thanks for having an opinion & presenting it the way you have, unlike some...
    I wish I could fly, right up to the sky! But I can't...
    Famous Last Words: Bus?... What B....
    I reserve the right to edit my posts so you are wrong & I am right!
  • wathowl
    wathowl Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    It’s called scapegoating first it was disabled scroungers claiming Invalidity benefit (IVB) the people in big houses claiming housing benefit, now it’s the disabled claiming D.L.A. but you can bet your bottom dollar it will never be the rich look how the highest taxpayers are being punished next tax year they have to have an extra £400 per week to live on, never mind I am sure they need it more than disabled people,and it was the poor that caused the crash what did they think off getting a mortgage off the shiny new salesman offering them their dream home in the good old U.S.of A, even though they did not have the money to meet the escalatingrepayments, and then our wonderful bankers over here bought these AAA bundles of debt, subprime debt it was called the bankers made millions in bonuses and when it went down and turned out to be junk where they made to give back their bonus? Nope “call me Dave and Gideon”with the help of I.D-S found a new way to get the money back we will take it of the bankers? Nope they took it from the working class with things like V.A.T increase and then they took it from welfareand continue to take it, the least able in society why cos in every ones well almost every one’s eyes we are all scroungers we are swinging the lead, next it will be stick us in homes and then the family will get a letter telling them we have died of pneumonia and been cremated and here are our ashes, opps sorry the Nazis tried that, and nobody batted an eyelid in Germany will we be the same?
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    krisskross wrote: »
    How about adding in the housing costs paid if no one works? I am sure many families claiming benefits because of a disabled person receive £20K+ in total benefits. As I said enough to pay for a care home for the disabled person, then the non disabled person is free to work and support themself.

Are you seriously suggesting that a disabled person who currently lives with and is cared for by his/her family, should be put in a home so that the non-disabled carer can go out to work and support themselves without the aid of benefits?

I hope have got this wrong, but that is how your post reads to me.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    wathowl wrote: »
    Yes I am if you ring R.S.A. and ask them they will tell you that you can use it for business use I could send you a copy of my insurance if you wish

So really the tax payer shouldnt be paying for a motor, your business should be.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    Are you seriously suggesting that a disabled person who currently lives with and is cared for by his/her family, should be put in a home so that the non-disabled carer can go out to work and support themselves without the aid of benefits?

I hope have got this wrong, but that is how your post reads to me.

No of course I'm not. My thoughts were merely in response to the oft repeated claims of how much money carers save the taxpayer.

I was simply pointing out that one disabled person in a household where no one works can actually cost more per year than care home fees would.
  • Ellejmorgan
    Ellejmorgan Posts: 1,487 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2012 at 9:38AM
    Options
    Disability can happen in the blink of an eye, I went to bed one night got up the next morning and that was it..disability...have had 2 operations and another 2 needed on my spine..
    i'm only 33 and it won't get better...

I was told by someone at my kids school that 'I wasn't that disabled' on a painful day when I couldn't walk, 3 months later they fell down the stairs have a shattered leg and need surgery...Karma really works, I agree
    I always take the moral high ground, it's lovely up here...
  • Anubis_2
    Anubis_2 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Options
    Disability can happen in the blink of an eye, I went to bed one night got up the next morning and that was it..disability...have had 2 operations and another 2 needed on my spine..
    i'm only 33 and it won't get better...

This is what many who are currently healthy don't appear to realise. Mine was gradual but I went from being an extremely active and energetic workaholic to a wheelchair in less than two years. Now I am for the most part, bedbound.

My friends used to always comment how agile I was and a "picture of health." We really shouldn't be complacent as far as health is concerned but I suppose it's natural.
    How people treat you becomes their karma; how you react becomes yours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure