Working away from home

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Dird wrote: »
    Everyone is talking about working away but OP never said that? I took "I have come to the realisation that I need to move" as meaning the family move. It'd make no sense at all to pay 2 lots of rent/mortgage.
    The OP said in post #4:
    That does go through my mind about how it will impact the relationship, though me being away would benefit us financially. Currently my salary is maxed at £23.5k (all in) I was made redundant a few years ago and just took any job in my sector as I had bills to pay . I have also suffered a pay cut in my current role hence why I am now capped at 23.5K salary. I currently work a position way below my experience and qualification level. I think my partners job (nurse) is more transferrable than mine.
    so he is talking of working away, hence posters picking up on that and commenting.

I think FBaby has it correct here:
    FBaby wrote: »
    Difficult situation. How many children in the household and how old are they? The point about the child having access to their father so that they can continue to have regular input in their lives is an important one.

The OP's partner seems clear that she doesn't want to move and it may cause issues with her ex if she does.

There's not just the OP to consider here.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dird wrote: »
    Everyone is talking about working away but OP never said that? I took "I have come to the realisation that I need to move" as meaning the family move. It'd make no sense at all to pay 2 lots of rent/mortgage.

All you can do is hope a better paying job appears within a 40 mile radius of your house. Is your partner working? If not that can be an easy way to boost income & make use of that family network she doesn't want to leave

SEE POST 10

am looking for a compromise, which may include me working away during the week and coming home at weekends etc.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Is there any way that your partner could increase her income?
    Woul theer be other options which didn't involve the whole family moving, or you spending a lot of money n cimmunting? For instnace, is your job one which could be done remotely? If so, might it be possibe to find a job at a distance from your home but negotiate to work from home part of the time, or to work fxi hours so you could (for instance) travel outside rush horus or work longer hours some days and 'bank' time so you could (for instance) work a 9 day fortnight to reduncc etravelling?

Would it be possible to move a shorter distance so that a commute became managable and you were not completely out of your current area and support groups?

You mention that your current employer is dropping jobs - do you feel that they are going under, or is it more about restructuring and becoming more efficiant? Have you appraoched them about a pay increase,citing the fact that they are paying below the going rate?
    If you were to have that conversation with them, and they won't /can't increase your pay, could you consider with them keping the same salary but going part time, and prehaps getting a second part time job? Even if it was only one day a week it might give you a bit extra household income (or alternatively, and depending on whether your wife works full time, you could look to reduce your hours and do more childcare and household work and for her to increase her hours, if that would result in a higher houseold income.

Another option might be to see whether, as a family, you can improve your finacial position y making savings or using your money more eficently, so that instead of getting by, you make savigns which you can use to improve your quality of life. Looking at the debt free board might help you: if ou are willing to post a statement of affairs setting out your curent income and outgoigns I'm sure you'd fine people willing to offer suggestions of how you might be able to make savings to free up some of your income.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • mai_taylor
    Options
    My husband has worked away in the week and is considering doing it again. Personally I'm find with it, we hardly spend any time together in the week anyway as we both work all day and by the time we've eaten and got things ready for work the next day it's time to go to sleep plus he goes to the gym a few nights. More money coming in then we get to spend the whole weekend together.

However we don't have kids and he gets rent and food paid for when he's away so those are two factors that would make a big difference.
  • Runningfast
    Options
    In reply to all, sorry not replied I have worked late last night and away for a few days with work later this week so need to get a few things sorted.

There are some good points being made and definitely things I need to consider. I will aim to reply to the thread again soon.
  • Reckless_Saving
    Options
    10 years ago I was in a low paid job in which my company decided to relocate an hours commute away, I had the choice to leave, relocate or commute. In my area pay was and still is way below the national averages, there were next to zero jobs locally for my then skillset and when any came up the pay was low with no career path. I decided based on not knowing what to do and a job is better than no job to take the large costs hit in commuting daily to the new location.

Back to today I still commute but have moved up/side ways & taken unexpected career ladder choices that I'm now paid well that my commute costs are no long having the dent they felt at the start and I have a skillset that other employers would pay a premium for if I wished or was forced to leave plus option of higher pay through contracting.

I'm lucky I didn't have close family to consider in my choices but it's not as bad as others as I'm travelling back everyday plus do get flexible working from my employer when needed. The way I see it is that if I was still working locally I would be depressingly looking a well into mid 65s for retirement, at least I can shave many years of that by taking the risk all those years ago, plus more moneysaving and FIRE'ing.
  • maddisonzoexx
    Options
    I am currently working away from home in a rural area 250miles away from home, i am 16 years old and earning £230 a week. I find the experience extremely lonely and isolating along with i have led to eat very little because the staff eating quarters are very over crammed and in rather awful condition. I hate being away from my friends and family however i have been unable to find any other jobs and it is leading me feeling very depressed.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    OP, why does it have to be a season ticket ?

Why cant you get a 1litre banger and drive it ?
    My own commute is not far off the miles you state
  • Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I am currently working away from home in a rural area 250miles away from home, i am 16 years old and earning £230 a week. I find the experience extremely lonely and isolating along with i have led to eat very little because the staff eating quarters are very over crammed and in rather awful condition. I hate being away from my friends and family however i have been unable to find any other jobs and it is leading me feeling very depressed.
    Maddison, this sounds a truly awful experience :( Can you return home to your parents, or is there someone else you could stay with? Is going home and going to college an option for you?
    It sounds as though you maybe being exploited -if you are on minimum wage of £4.20 and earning £230 pw, then that's an average working week of 54 hours. Are your employers approachable, could you ask them to smarten up the staff quarters? Could you eat outside while the weather is decent?

if you are beginning to feel depressed, then you need to have a talk with your GP before it spirals out of control.

I really feel for you, and hope things improve soon.,
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    OP, why does it have to be a season ticket ?

Why cant you get a 1litre banger and drive it ?
    My own commute is not far off the miles you state
    Andy
    This thread dates back 18 months
    Rubik wrote: »
    Maddison, this sounds a truly awful experience :( Can you return home to your parents, or is there someone else you could stay with? Is going home and going to college an option for you?
    It sounds as though you maybe being exploited -if you are on minimum wage of £4.20 and earning £230 pw, then that's an average working week of 54 hours. Are your employers approachable, could you ask them to smarten up the staff quarters? Could you eat outside while the weather is decent?

if you are beginning to feel depressed, then you need to have a talk with your GP before it spirals out of control.

I really feel for you, and hope things improve soon.,

My thoughts too.
    Madison's situation doesn't sound good and it doesn't sound right & fair.
    Fruit picking?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport