Working away from home

Options
1235»

Comments

• Soph1988
    Soph1988 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    I have a partner who works away almost all summer, popping back for a weekend or a few days here and there. He loves his job and its a great job.

I on the other hand work 9-5 and look forward to the weekends.

IMO, there is nothing more destroying of a relationship than feeling lonely. You may be busy travelling back and forth and enjoying your new job, but your partners life hasn't changed, they are now just alone when they're not at work.

I'm not saying you need to be at home whenever they are, but realistically long term working away isn't the best option. I know I consider lots of things such as when to go on holiday, when to have children!, renovating the house we just brought etc etc.... But I certainly feel very alone in it all.

And no - I could never ask him to leave a job he loves or enjoys - because then it's my fault if he hates a new job he gets closer. Resentment is just as bad as anything else.
  • DevilsAdvocate1
    DevilsAdvocate1 Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Only being home at weekends means you have less family time.

Home late on Friday night, leave Sunday to start work Monday morning.

Weekend spent catching up on jobs around the house.

From experience children resent you coming home at weekends and 'bossing' them around or upsetting the routine they have with mum during the week.

I think the mum can resent this too !
  • CarmenEllis
    Options
    I just hate working away from home. I have an experience of 3 years and I can understand how it feels.
  • GailGoulding322
    Options
    It's so tricky to know if t will suit you before you commit. I wrestled with this dilemma several years back. Should I leave my young family and go and work in London half the week. In the end it's worked out well. To help others who were in my shoes I interviewed 12 people who work away to get their advice and top tips for success. If you search for "work away" and "teachable" you'll find the results.
    Good luck to everyone making this tricky decision.
    Best wishes
    Gail
  • gabriel1980
    gabriel1980 Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I worked away for a little while (got made redundant two months into the new position), I was living in the Scottish Borders and got a job in Washington. About two hours away from home. I rented a room in a house share and lived and worked there monday to friday. It was a lot tougher than envisaged. The job wasn't great but the pay was substantial, although paying two lots of rent did eat it up. Now matter how bad the job was closer to home, I still got to go home to my wife every night. Without that it made me seriously depressed. I would think long and hard.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have a rented “bolt hole” in London, but we do stay in it as a couple so that helps a great deal.
    Regarding commitments first stayed in a travel lodge (no self catering) and then serviced appartments (living out of a suitcase) as there was little commitment and we were able to try out various areas,
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is a very old thread, but probably a very useful one to some

I think us as modern day folk, have our material needs all wrong

We work more / longer hours/ farther away from home in order to get a better life

But we kill ourselves doing it. Less family and friends time

It is all great having the cash, if you don't have the time

For me, as long as I can get buy, and enjoy my hobby - I do not think I would work above and beyond this to afford fancy holidays etc
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 May 2019 at 7:12PM
    Options
    My partner has a child from a previous relationship. She is reluctant to pull the child away from his family and friend network.

Financially we are floating in that we pay the bills and don't need to use credit. The bit getting me down is that after paying the bills and essentials we have nothing to enjoy life with!! I feel like we are existing instead of living.

She is absolutely right to put her child first, they will always trump you and that’s as it should be.

I suggest going over to the debt free wannabe board, even though you aren’t in debt if you post a SOA they will look at it with their years of budgeting expertise and help you free up spare cash you never knew you had with which you can ‘enjoy life’.

Oops, old thread! I’ll leave this up though as a plug for budgeting and the DFW heroes!
  • Monika87
    Monika87 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I work every day from 10 am. to 7 pm.(not on weekends) I spend 1 hour to get to work and back home. But I like my work and it's good location(subway and many places to eat nearby)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure