PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord applying for injunction.

Options

Comments

• grumpygit_2
    grumpygit_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I have drafted a letter outlining the problems and explaining that I dispute their claim as I believe I made reasonable effort to allow access and the work is now completed and asking them to withdraw the claim and acknowledge in writing that they have done so.

I will deliver by hand to the HA office first thing Monday morning and request a receipt for the letter.

If I don't hear anything I a few days I will call them to find out what is happening and seek legal advice.

I have always told my wife and children that if anyone wants to access our home then they should notify us in advance.
    This is for security purposes not because of my rights as a tenant.

I regularly deal with crime scenes and have seen first hand what can happen when people let strangers, who are not who they say they are, into their home.

Thanks for all your help.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It may or may not be a good idea to include your experience of crime scenes in the letter. I don't know.
  • grumpygit_2
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    It may or may not be a good idea to include your experience of crime scenes in the letter. I don't know.

I haven't mentioned my job in the letter. I just mentioned in my post to explain my concerns about letting strangers into my home.
    My experience of crime scenes has opened my eyes to a great deal of things.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it is always better to be safe than sorry. If you make a mistake, you can always apologise for the inconvenience; there is no undoing what might happen if you let the wrong person in. I will not allow anyone I don't know in if my husband is not here unless either I am expecting them or they can prove who they are. I don't blame you in the slightest.

Hope you get it all sorted out tomorrow.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As solicitors have been instructed and court proceedings commenced, all correspondence relating to legal proceedings should be directed to the solicitors. Not just directly to the landlord.

Though I suppose you could send the same letter to both the solicitors and the landlord.

You should write a letter setting out the full details, as you have done here.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I think it is always better to be safe than sorry. If you make a mistake, you can always apologise for the inconvenience; there is no undoing what might happen if you let the wrong person in. I will not allow anyone I don't know in if my husband is not here unless either I am expecting them or they can prove who they are. I don't blame you in the slightest.

Hope you get it all sorted out tomorrow.

This is the point. They would have been able to prove who they were no attempt was made to try to check clarify/this.

Of course if someone can't prove who they are you don't let them in (regardless if your husband is at home or not). I don't think anyone on this thread is suggesting you do. Just that this could have been avoided if the right questions/checks were done in the first instance.
  • grumpygit_2
    Options
    This is the point. They would have been able to prove who they were no attempt was made to try to check clarify/this.

Of course if someone can't prove who they are you don't let them in (regardless if your husband is at home or not). I don't think anyone on this thread is suggesting you do. Just that this could have been avoided if the right questions/checks were done in the first instance.

It could have also been avoided if the contractor had notified us in advance as they are supposed to and as they have always done in the past.
    The engineer said that there was no problem rescheduling and that's what we did.
    I think the problem is with the contractors lack of communication. 2 of the 3 letters they say they sent were not received by us and I suspect they were never sent.
    Even the engineer commented that the letters often didn't get sent out.
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    They could have been asked to prove who they were, yes, but only after you've opened the door to them. What if they are not who they say they are?
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    I was thinking if they're calling the HA to confirm they'd sent someone (rather than the company supposedly sending the gas engineer) then that could take a long time. Last time I called the council it took 40 minutes. Are HAs any quicker?

No. My LL is a HA and I am often waiting for 30+ mins for a call to be answered.

My Housing Associations gas contractor went one step further with us - they cut off the gas supply! This was despite at least four calls explaining that we work full time and had no annual leave left and requesting a Saturday appointment. AND the service wasn't even due - let alone overdue. Despite the calls and requests for Saturday appointment and assurances that the 'service team' would call and make an appointment, a gas engineer attended on a cold Monday in March and capped the gas supply. We had no notice of the appointment, no card left and no notification on the meter. We thought there was a problem with the boiler and called out the emergency gas engineer (same company that had capped it - nice little earner for them) and got it uncapped the same night.

One month later, following a formal complaint to the HA we had a profuse apology, an assurance that the issue would be raised with the gas company and £300 compensation. I also got my Saturday appointment for the gas service (engineer was on site for a mere 10 minutes - there is no way that was a full service - especially as he is supposed to check the smoke alarms as well)

I appreciate the importance of the gas service and I am grateful that my HA takes their responsibilities seriously, but there is a way of doing things.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does your wife always do as she's told?

That's a bit unfair. I wouldn't let in a man with a clipboard unless I was expecting him, either. At the very least he'd be waiting outside while I checked with his office.

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/11-things-criminals-do-when-they-pretend-to-be-utility-workers/112111/
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure